AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to HD TV and still trying to decide which technology suits my needs. I am still using my old faithful 27" Sony direct View. HD-Plasma is beyond my price range and I was trying to decide between DLP and LCD-RP. Then I read many of the problems with those which I may not be able to tolerate. So I am re-evaluating CRT-RP especially the new Mits xxx613 series and Hitachi new models for 2004. I have a small living room (13 ft x 15 ft) and most probably can fit only 48"-51" size TV. I also need to place my large tower speakers with 12" woofers on both sides of the TV as part of my 5.1 sorround sound system. I will not be able to provide any space between the TV and speakers due to the room layout. Currently I have to provide about one foot of space between my Direct-View and the speakers to prevent magnetic interference. I have not seen any discussion in this forum regarding magnetic interference and CRT-RP TVs. All the discussions I have seen are for Direct-View. Most of my friends I have with CRT-RP use built-in speakers only and could not answer my question.

I would think using a sorround sound system using large external speakers is common and many of you out there must be enjoying such a set up. I would like to know if any one out there had any problem placing large tower speakers immediately next to their CRT-RP TVs. If so what was the solution ?. Any comment is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
RAJUMON:

Welcome to AVS Forum! CRTs are CRTs - they are all sensitive to strong magnetic fields. Since the magnets in a subwoofer is generally larger than in a satellite speaker, placing subwoofers on the floor next to the CRT RPTV (which is where the CRTs are located) will likely cause some trouble.

I have a 50" DLP RPTV and it is not succeptable to magnetic fields, no matter how strong. It is 46 and a half inches wide by 34 inches high by 18 inches deep and weighs 78 pounds. It is not succeptable to burn-in and the picture quality is amazing. A DLP will probably cost you more than the best CRT RPTV but it will long outlive it and with an DVI output DVD player (e.g., the $179 Bravo D1 through AVS - see the DVD player forum), you will get a better DVD picture or else you will have to pay a lot more for a DVD player. So, all things being equal, the DLP plus DVI DVD player probably isn't any more than a high end CRT PRTV plus a high end DVD player...

P.S. We sit fight feet from the DLP and I think we could have gotten a 56-incher...

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a 125W sub sitting just 3 inches from my 55†TV and there is no interference.

P.S. my sub is not magnetically shielded.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That's the key. Most modern 5.1 surround speakers (including subs)for HT application are well shielded and that's why it's not an issue for rp crt owners....and generally not discussed much. It will be an issue with unshielded speakers/sub causing purity problems depending on the strenght of magnetic field.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.