AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I like to record sporting events and have them archived. I like to record them at the best possible quality.

Currently I use my Digital8 camera to record sporting events -- I put it on SP mode and typically fit one game on 2 tapes. The quality comes out VERY GOOD. About the same of my DVD recordings on HQ mode.

However as I look into the future I know some day (maybe in a year or so) I will want to purchase an HDTV and HD cable etc. However I am not sure if I should purchase a HD-PVR or a D-VHS.

I know some of you may ask - -why does that matter now?

However. Right now (or by 2004) I want to be able to record my sporting events without actually BEING there and changing tapes. Basically I want to fit 1 or 2 games onto ONE TAPE and have it be extremely high quality (close to original cable broadcast and almost 100% of the source in quality).

Obviously I might get pickier when I get HD cable in terms of the speeds of recordings -- but for now couldn't I use a D-VHS Recorder to record programs without being there and have them be just as good (if not better) quality than my D8 tapes (which I need two of to record games a excellent quality)?

So wouldn't it be best if I buy a D-VHS recorder that way I prepare myself for the future in that I record NOW GREAT QUALITY GAMES on one tape without being there-- and in the future I can use the D-VHS recorder when I upgrade to HD cable. Then I will get the best of both worlds.

So could someone tell me the modes and just how well D-VHS tapes can capture normal cable (SD) broadcast now?

For those of you saying how expensive this might be or whatever -- just now my preference is to archive games THE BEST quality I can within reason while not having to be there to record one game on several tapes etc.....

Basically I want to be able to archive my SD copies in the near future on D8 tapes in case. I like the firewire interface IN and OUT in a recorder like D-VHS and I would use it with my Digital8 camera for several recordings that I wanted to backup (heck I probably wouldnt need to back most of them up because D-VHS doesnt scratch like DVD's would).

Plus as far as convenicnce goes I dont really care about D-VHS not having menus for my games yet because I want to able to FIRST RECORD the games over the next few years before I think about editing video or whatever. Basically for my sporting events I just want to record a few hours of high quality video and each game on ONE TAPE with great quality.

So is D-VHS the way for me to go? Or are HD-PVR's just as good if not better -- based on my tastes listed above?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Definitely DVHS. With the JVC 30K or 40K you can record SD in DVHS mode, which will give you the same quality as the original broadcast. Not almost the same or close to the same, but exactly the same. Depending on what mode you use, you can get either 2, 4, or 12 hours of recording time on a 120 minute tape.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much are are these blank D-VHS cassettes?

Also would the lowest quality on a D-VHS cassete yield 100% of a normal cable broadcast when recording? Or does it have to be on the best mode to be exactly like how you see a normal cable broadcast?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
You don't have to use DVHS tapes. Most SVHS tapes work just the same. You can get Fuji T120 SVHS tapes at Tape Warehouse for $3.70 each.

I have yet to see any difference between HS, STD, or LS3 modes for SD recording.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under the impression that D8 recordings were slightly better than S-VHS recordings. Isnt this theoretically true? Since Digital8 captures more lines of resolution than S-VHS?

Anyways by using a S-VHS is that just like using a normal 8mm tape to put on D8 material? In other words I can digital video on the S-VHS video cassette and it will look and function just like a D-VHS cassette would when recording a SD broadcast?

What modes are there for S-VHS tapes when recording on a D-VHS recorder?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nikos20
I was under the impression that D8 recordings were slightly better than S-VHS recordings. Isnt this theoretically true? Since Digital8 captures more lines of resolution than S-VHS?
We're talking about SVHS in DVHS mode, not SVHS mode. I'm not familiar with D8 but, like I said, DVHS recordings are indistinguishable from the original.

Quote:
Anyways by using a S-VHS is that just like using a normal 8mm tape to put on D8 material? In other words I can digital video on the S-VHS video cassette and it will look and function just like a D-VHS cassette would when recording a SD broadcast?
Exactly.

Quote:
What modes are there for S-VHS tapes when recording on a D-VHS recorder?
On the JVC 30K (which is the only one that allows you to record SD in DVHS mode) and assuming a 120 min. tape, you get 2 hours in HS mode (28 mbps, used for HDTV recordings), 4 hours in STD mode (14.1 mbps), and 12 hours in LS3 mode (4.7 mbps).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does the STD mode look?

I want to record sporting games but not have to be there.

Will the STD mode look close to the original? Or is it much worse than the HS mode or the first (best) quality mode?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Again, there is no visual difference between any of the 3 modes for SD recording. The 4.7 mbps of LS3 mode is more than enough for standard cable programming. Also, it doesn't look close to the original, it looks exactly like the original.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So there is only a visual difference if i am recording in HD?

What about if I use the S-VHS tapes -- how do the modes work and cable qualities boradcasts for each mode?

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
8 MM has always had a problem with dropouts because of the smaller tape width and slower speed. They again it is a Phony invention and you know what happened to their other flop that was suppose to be better than VHS?

Tape oxide pariticles and dust are about the same size no matter how small or large the tape is or what speed it operates. The faster the speed and the wider the tape the less chance that pariticle will cause a dropout since it will be smaller in comparison to the amount of tape surface area that passes the heads.

Also chroma S/N has been more a problem in 8 MM.

·
Registered
28,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
On the JVC 30K (which is the only one that allows you to record SD in DVHS mode)......
I assume that the 40K also allows this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So there is only a visual difference if i am recording in HD?

What about if I use the S-VHS tapes -- how do the modes work and cable qualities broadcasts for each mode?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Your question is "Is D-vhs the best recorder for me?"

At this time, and until something new comes up, it's really your only solution within reasonable price. This should be true for at least another 2 years.

The other solutions involve recording to computer hard disk (e.g. Hipix), not very attractive at all. With the D-vhs, you can watch pre-recorded HD movies, or someone else's sports D-vhs recordings also. Imagine trying those with a hard disk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually don't care about watching D-VHS pre recorded movies.

I am only interested in recording and archiving sports games in HIGH QUALITY (with little to no loss from the original broadcast).

I am not going to get an HDTV till next year or so anyway. So I just want to be able to record a lot of material now and also have versatility for the future.

Is this the best choice?

What are the modes of recording for D-VHS if we are recording just standard TV cable resolution? Which modes reproduce almost 100% of original broadcast quality of the program?

*Also the whole point for me getting a recorder instead of contuning to use my D8 Camera is so I can record games onto ONE TAPE without worrying about going over the time limit and having to be their recording the program manually ALL THE TIME (although many times I dont mind).

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Ok, I'm going to try one more time and then I'm done (you seem to be asking the same questions over and over).

1) You can record SD in any mode you want. There is no perceptible difference between them for SD recording.

2) All 3 modes will reproduce the original broadcast exactly. Not almost 100%, but 100%.

3) It's up to you if you want to use STD mode (4 hours) or LS3 mode (12 hours), but I have yet to see any difference between recordings made in each one. I personally use LS3 mode for all my SD timeshifting and archiving.

For what you want to do the JVC DVHS is not just the best solution, it is the only solution.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Vruiz,

The reason I seem to be asking the same question is because I figured that theroretically a longer recording mode would yield less quality -- but I guess this is ONLY the case when recording HD-signal (which I won't be doing anyway for a year or so).

So for regular cable broadcasts I can fit 12 hours of 100% quality cable broadcast recordings!?!?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just curious but does the JVC-DH3K have an Analog Input?

How am I going to go from Analog TV to the D-VHS recorder if it only has a firewire in put?

Or does it have other inputs -- and I can use it for regular televison?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also on amazon.com two people gave this machine a bad review

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172282

Quote:
They said they couldnt record HD-Satalite

After getting this VCR and tryingto hook it up, I find out that it will only record High Definition programming from it's "Fire Wire" or "IEEE1394" (digital) input. Unfortunately, the satellite receiver only outputs in "S-Video", "Composite Video", or "Component" (analog outputs). I have been told that it is not possible to convert the analog to digital!

After searching the web, trying to solve this problem (JVC has not been helpful!), I have heard some talk that Hollywood does not want the High Definition satellite receivers to output in "Fire Wire" or "IEEE1394". If anyone knows of a satellite receiver that does this, PLEASE let me know, because I would be glad to purchase it in order to record HighDefinition satellite Programming on this VCR.

In the meantime, JVC should write in great big RED LETTERS in their advertising (and on their box), "This VCR Can't Record High Definition Satellite Programming!"
Another review stated
Quote:
While JVC seems to offer the only real choice right now in DVHS recording (the Mitsubishi DVHS VCRs are not compatible with DTheater tapes), this is definitely on the "bleeding edge".

HDTV recording can only be performed from an incoming iLink (FireWire/1394) connection. There is a single HDTV component output, but no HDTV component input.

Do these problems concern me for the future? I suppose I could get a TV with HD capabilties having a FIREWIRE output.

But right now I just want to record regular cable signal on my analog tv and maybe some EDTV on my fathers plasma tv (for fun--but not abolstely essentially needed).

So is the firewire the only input?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
They are talking about HD recording, which is true can only be done via firewire. You will be recording SD via composite or s-video, so that doesn't affect you now.

When you do decide to become HD-capable you will need an HD receiver with firewire like the Samsung 165 . The firewire output needs to be on the source to the VCR, not the TV.

·
Registered
577 Posts
quote:

"In the meantime, JVC should write in great big RED LETTERS in their advertising (and on their box), "This VCR Can't Record High Definition Satellite Programming!"

Not entirely correct.

Go to www.169time.com or go the the sticky thread at the top about 169time.

The JVC D-vhs deck CAN record satellite HD, you need a HDVR and AVX-1 modification to your STB to do that. That's the ONLY solution. Just visit the 169time site.

Also, if you record regular SD anything, why bother with D-vhs? Just use you good old VCR !!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.