AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is D-VHS worth getting into now or is it dead in the water now? I'm wanting to setup a HD-HTPC-DVR to record into 720p/1080i and want to make it easy for everyone in my house to watch the shows not just the techies. ;)

Been trying to deicde if a single myhd card in my pc would be enough and let everyone watch shows easily or if i just setup the pc for recording and then get a dvhs and transfer the shows to tape.

james

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hi James,

Welcome to AVS!

One criterion might be how much programming you'd like to be able to save. I have the JVC 30K and I like using it to build up a library. Previously, I was using a PC for a DVR. Now I am using the Comcast HD DVR. The Comcast DVR can hold about 15 hours of HD programming. When I record something that I want to keep, I can use firewire to archive it to D-VHS tape.

There are others that can give you are more knowledgable answer about the future of the format and the prospects for archiving with one of the upcoming HD DVD formats. I know that for now, D-VHS allows me to archive as much HD programming as I'd like.

I hope that helps.

Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I plan on doing alot of the 720p/1090i shows I *locate*. I can watch them on my pc and hook it up to my surround sound, but I want to make it easy even for my 8yr nephew. right now the only 1080i I have is underworld.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I use DVHS connected to a firewire STB to record and playback shows. If you want to archive it is the only game in town. I use it mainly to timshift but ocassionaly save the tape. I have a Mitsubishi 1100u HD VCR with a MIT MDR-200 OTA STB with firewire. Works great.

Rick R

·
Registered
950 Posts
How is the tuner on that MIT box, Rick? I just bought a used Voom box on ebay and am not impressed with it's sensitivity. Plus, I would like to be able to record OTA to D-VHS.(Hows that work, also?)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Shug, the Voom tuner is pretty darn sensitive. The newer generation tuners are slightly better, especially at multipathing, but the one Voom used was good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
James...If you want to make things easy for your family to use, get a Pronto remote control and spend a good amount of time designing and programming the interface. Then your system is as easy to use as you design the remote interface.

When designing the Pronto interface, try to not think in device terms, which WE normally do. Try to take an activity-based approach, like normal people think.

You will find it liberating later when you want to change something and instead of your family re-learning the process, you just tweak the remote programming and they interface with it the same way they always have.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
The tuner in the MIT MDR-200 is excellent. I live in a difficult OTA area and sometimes my Dish 6000 satellite and OTA box gets too many breakups on an OTA channel. I switch to the MIT MDR-200 and the breakups go away. The issue in my area is not just sensitivity but multi-path also however.

I regularly record OTA to DVHS and it works great.

Rick R

·
Registered
309 Posts
For simple use- putting tv on video mode, pop in a vcr tape, & hit play is pretty simple ( most people are used to that ). My senior citizen parents ( when they babysit) & my non-tecno wife can operate my HD recordings. User doesn't need to know whether tape is vhs, svhs, svhs-et, dvhs, etc. AND can have vcrs throughtout house & just pop the tape in ( bedroom, basement, family room, etc). Can't do that with dvr.

The jvc's have a built in decoder (mits do not) so you can connect via component & its as simple as hitting play. If connected via rca or s-vid , then it downconverts to sd. The Mits need firewire & another device(tv w/built in tuner, stb with firewire in & component out, etc) to decode since no built in decoder. The Mits is a great analog vcr as well. It has an EXTREEMELY fast rewind (40sec).

I do a lot of time shifting & a little archivel.

Just missed out couple months ago the "tweeter" stores were selling the Mits dvhs for $149. The sony HD DVR ( with no firewire) was $1,000.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well not to sure on that, I own a ReplayTV and they had problems even with that couldn't figure out how to watch live tv (sad I know).

well I was thinking about either getting a dvhs player (cheaper alt) or building a HTPC that can do HD & SD recordings (more expensive but a better alt, more options for later upgrades and more uses). Anyone here have a htpc they built for playing & recording hd shows?

james

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.