AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I could get some good feedback here on some speakers.

Here is my current set up.

Room: Basement 15 x 20 (close to square)

Sound: 7.1

Toshiba 57” 1080i RPTV 57H83

A/V Receiver Pioneer Elite 94 TXH

Blu Ray PS3/Sony BDP-S350

Current Speakers: Athena

Back Rear: AS-B1 x 2

Back Left/Right: AS-R1 (bipole)

Front Right/Left AS-F1 x 2

Center: AS-C1

Sub: AS-P400

I was looking to upgrade and found and what seems to be a fantastic deal on some Def Tech Mythos Gem speakers (not new XL) for under $300 per pair. I was considering buying the other two and complete replace my back surround with these fellas.

Is this a good move? The Mythos Gem are seemingly discontinued so I cannot really find anywhere to test these out other than a try and buy, so this is why I am posing the question here.

Are these a good speaker for the money? If I do go out and purchase these, am I still flexible with who I upgrade my front and center speakers?

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
While Def Tech speakers are generally quite good, the Mythos Gems are not very impressive. I think they would be a pretty big step down from your Athenas, especially since you have the excellent F1s up front. In fact, you would have to spend a lot to improve on that setup. (Def Tech BP8Bs all around, for example.)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellaeon /forum/post/14287393

Figured I could get some good feedback hear on some speakers.

Here is my current set up.

Room: Basement 15 x 20 (close to square)

Sound: 7.1

Toshiba 57 1080i RPTV 57H83

A/V Receiver Panasonic Elite 94 TXH

Blu Ray PS3/Sony BDP-S350

Current Speakers: Athena

Back Rear: AS-B1 x 2

Back Left/Right: AS-R1 (bipole)

Front Right/Left AS-F1 x 2

Center: AS-C1

Sub: AS-P400

I was looking to upgrade and found and what seems to be a fantastic deal on some Def Tech Mythos Gem speakers (not new XL) for under $300 per pair. I was considering buying the other two and complete replace my back surround with these fellas.

Is this a good move? The Mythos Gem are seemingly discontinued so I cannot really find anywhere to test these out other than a try and buy, so this is why I am posing the question here.

Are these a good speaker for the money? If I do go out and purchase these, am I still flexible with who I upgrade my front and center speakers?

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellaeon /forum/post/14291843

??? Whats confusing ???

What is highlighted in bold. Panasonic Elite? I think you meant Pioneer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts