AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In February 2000 DirecTV had the only direct to video movie, Resurrection. It was also the only product ever seen from Columbia-TriStar.

Now in the space of a couple of weeks they have added two direct to video movies, Double Bang(Artisan) and Highway(New Line).

After skipping a month Dish updated their hidden link to PPV. Novocaine from Artisan, which grossed $2 million, is showing later in the month. Neither Double Bang nor Highway is scheduled in June on Dish.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that DirecTV is showing direct-to-video movies on their HD PPV too. I've given up caring because they seem to have given up caring; what would be nice is a similar selection of theatrically released PPV as they show on their other SD PPV channels. Fat chance though. Instead we get to see low-grossers or direct-to-video. In fairness, not all of these are crap by any means (Highway isn't that bad) but they're certainly running on a low budget for the HD presentations.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I dont know that the decidedly scant offerings on HD PPV are the fault of Dish or DirecTv. I'm guessing for the most part the studios wont offer the titles for PPV. Or maybe they do, but in a cost prohibitive way. I dont think the buy rate on HD PPV would be all that high regardless. Hell some people have a beef even buying HBO or Showtime for their HD movies at a 10 or 12 dollar a month clip. Since thats the case how many are going to regularly drop 6 bucks for one movie. I think I've ordered maybe 1 or 2 in the year and a half that Dish has had a fulltime HD PPV channel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've only bought one on Dish HD PPV: Rush Hour 2. I'd buy more if there were some good titles being offered. Like Memento, or Lord of the Rings (I'm hoping that an HD transfer will be available to showtime or Dish HD PPV sometime in the future). All I've seen though are movies that I have no interest in other than Rush Hour 2. I wish Dish HD PPV would at least offer BETTER movies on their HD PPV channel. They don't have to be blockbusters to be good titles to offer. Titles like Session 9, Tailor of Panama, etc. were in limited release and I never got to see those, but I'd really buy those if they were offered in HD PPV.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the Dish HDTV PPV schedule link.

Dish and DirecTV only add about one movie a month. In the last nine months these have always been New Line or Artisan movies. DirecTV used to show DreamWorks movies but stopped. DirecTV and Dish used to show MGM-UA movies but stopped.

That means that Lord of the Rings is possible but remember that they do not show all the New Line movies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.