AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Yamaha DVD player has six discrete analog channel outputs and a coaxial and toslink digital.

Three questions:

1) Will I benefit from discrete analog channels when watching DVD-Video compared to toslink optical?

2) Does quality of analog audio cables matter? ( I am not an audiophile and do not want to spend big bucks.) Will five simple rca audio cables work or should I stick with toslink?

3) Can DVD-Audio come out of toslink or coaxial digital in 5.1 sound or is it necessary to have 6 channel analog?

Please give your opinions.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Since digital signals are much less suceptible to interferance and other negative effects the cable might have these connections are prefered over the analog connection. Coaxial digital connections are prefered (in general) to optical (toslink) connections because there is less conversion of the signal. For transmission over optical cables the signal must be transformed from an electrical form to light and back again.

You can listen to DVD-A discs in Dolby Digital sound over a digital connection (which is still better than CD sound). To enjoy the full resolution of DVD-Audio however, you will need to use the 6 channel analog outputs.

The quality of the analog cables DOES matter...to a point. I would recommend going with a moderately priced cable from your local dealer or try the cables at www.bettercables.com. I wouldn't spend more than say $10-15 per foot (per pair) though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skoka123
My new Yamaha DVD player has six discrete analog channel outputs and a coaxial and toslink digital.

Three questions:

1) Will I benefit from discrete analog channels when watching DVD-Video compared to toslink optical?

2) Does quality of analog audio cables matter? ( I am not an audiophile and do not want to spend big bucks.) Will five simple rca audio cables work or should I stick with toslink?

3) Can DVD-Audio come out of toslink or coaxial digital in 5.1 sound or is it necessary to have 6 channel analog?

Please give your opinions.
Three Answers:

1. Question kind of confusing. The discrete analog and toslink (and coax) all carry audio signal to your receiver/pre amp - not video. When you use the discrete analog, your dvd player is doing the digital-to-analog conversion (DAC). When you're using toslink (or coax) you are using your receiver's/pre amp's DAC. Usually, the signal on your 6 discrete analog channels will be passed straight through to the power amp section without any of your receiver's/pre amp's digital-signal-processing (DSP) functions. If you're watching dolby digital or DTS movies or music in these formats, then use the toslink or coax. The DAC in your receiver/pre amp is probably better anyway (unless you have a high end DVD player).

2. Yes quality matters. But good quality doesn't mean super expensive. I personally use mainly the Radio Shack Gold series interconnects. The AR brand is pretty goos, too, I've heard. For the digital connection, most people favor coax over toslink because there are fewer "possible" issues.

3. DVD-Audio CAN NOT be carried by toslink or coax. For DVD-A you MUST use the discrete analog channels (unless you have one of the new high end receivers and its matching high end dvd player). Most DVD-A disk also have a DD5.1 or DTS5.1 track as well. If you're playing a DVD-A disk and don't have the 6 discrete analog connects, you are NOT listening to DVD-A.

If your are going to watch movies AND listen to DVD-A music, you will need to have BOTH the 6 channel discrete and the digital (coax or toslink) connected. Use your digital connection for movies, dd5.1 and dts5.1 music, and CDs. Use the discrete analog for DVD-A. You switch between the two using the appropriate setup in both your dvd player and receiver/pre amp.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Quote:
Coaxial digital connections are prefered (in general) to optical (toslink) connections because there is less conversion of the signal. For transmission over optical cables the signal must be transformed from an electrical form to light and back again.
There's no reason to be concerned about that. It's a simple, reliable process; either connection will work as well as the other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.