AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after some urging and a little arm bending
by a fellow AVSer, I decided to make this post to see if I can build a HT sub for my needs.

I was about to order the ED A2-300 when maybe faith interjected. I am looking for an HT sub design that has the shortest height (20') and shortest dept (20"), the width can be as wide as the screen, so about 8 feet.

My room is 16.5 L x 13 W x 10 H

Is there something that will perform as good (based on craigsub ranking) as the A2-300 for me to go down this path. I have no experience is this area whatsoever, but I give all you guys credit for knowledge in this area as I find it fascinating.

BTW - My budget is not big ($375-$400) and considering I don't have a router and maybe some other required tools, I will have to add those expenses to the budget also.

Any guidance and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
A router is a must for a high quality finish. You can do very well with a jigsaw and a guide(to cut circles,line guide also).

All the holes I saw cut by hand (besides very few)look like a chainsaw ws used.With a guide you are ok.

Driver, eD's 190v.2 ina sealed (4-4.5cu ft) or ported(larger,12-13cu cu ft ...EBS ) cabinet. You pay $200 for the driver...ah then add a plate amp($200 you should be on target).

The large 15-18" drivers offer the best displacement per dollar.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TheEAR. I should have mentioned, I only require the sub to be functional since it will be covered up, so it does not need to come out looking pretty by any means. Performance is most important and looks I really don't care about.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/12998477

Thanks TheEAR. I should have mentioned, I only require the sub to be functional since it will be covered up, so it does not need to come out looking pretty by any means. Performance is most important and looks I really don't care about.

A sealed sub is pretty easy to make, especially if you aren't too worried about the finish. I did not flush mount my drivers, so the hole did not have to be perfect and routed. Just used a jigsaw.

I'm about to build a third sub. 1-1/4" thick MDF board with parts

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Are any of the Rythmik kits in your price range?

If so, they will give you a compact setup with EXCELLENT SQ and very good ouput. And of course you get the whole kit less the enclosure which included the EQ to yield flat response well below 20Hz.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the time I am finished, it seems those kits will put me in the price range of a MFW-15, in fact by the time I am finish purchasing and shipping the kit alone. The advantage would be I will have better control of size but..man..I am not looking to listen to music on this thing at all, just for HT use.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
You can get Lowes or Home Depot to cut the MDF for you. Home Depot cut up 2 sheets of MDF for my IB sub in 10 minutes. The guy was almost as accurate as a table saw. If this were going to be a finished sub, it would take a day of sanding to get everything perfect. That close.

Also, where are you located? It makes it easy if you populate your locatino in your profile. I'm always willing to help a neighbor out when they want to build a sub.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradewinds /forum/post/12999639

By the time I am finished, it seems those kits will put me in the price range of a MFW-15, in fact by the time I am finish purchasing and shipping the kit alone. The advantage would be I will have better control of size but..man..I am not looking to listen to music on this thing at all, just for HT use.

Your best option is a commercial sub. DIY makes sense for people with higher budgets or the desire to build something but it doesn't make any sense for someone trying to hit your kind of design goals. Go buy the MFW-15 and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, that is the same conclusion I had arrived to. Thank you for the verification since I didn't want to completely overlooked DIY as an option.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Your best option is a commercial sub. DIY makes sense for people with higher budgets or the desire to build something but it doesn't make any sense for someone trying to hit your kind of design goals. Go buy the MFW-15 and be done with it.

I totally agree. I wont advise what sub to go with, but the MFW would certainly be a darn good choice. With all the 15" offerings that have came out this last year, a guy with your perimeters might as well go that rout. Many of us DIY'rs have accumulated tools, amps and eq's. When we decide to switch out subs, we can do a lot at a minimal cost, not to mention our passion in the actual build.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I designed a sub with pretty much your exact same needs a few weeks ago, 4 12" subwoofers and an A500, the total came to $250 for parts, I don't know what he spent on the cabinet, prolly another $100 or so. I think you can do a decent sub for DIY, a pair Mach 5 MJ18's in a large ported enclosure would offer some killer output and they can be powered cheaply. If you aren't excited about getting your hands dirty though, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If your total budget is $400, you can still do some pretty good things. As long as you aren't counting your time into the equation, you can get quit a bit of bass for that money.

I just finally posted up the plans and pics I had promised to some people for a simple 4 cubic foot slot vented enclosure. We planned it for our C12.2 woofer, but it could be used with other similar woofers as well. I don't expect you'll find more woofer for the price though.
Here is a link to the plans and some pics throughout the build.

http://www.aespeakers.com/phpbb2/vie...php?f=4&t=1611

I know for awhile PE had that 240W amp onsale for $99. That was what we had planned to suggest with this woofer. If you can get an amp for right around $100, you could do 2 of these enclosures with the woofers for your $400 budget. As I commented in the build, a single sub like this with 240W can easily equal or outperform a lot of the $500 range commercial subs. So a pair would be quite impressive for your budget.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts