AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something interesting of late. The local access number (an alternate number I use since it incurs no charge) I was using is not working. When you dial in, it appears to connect and then after a bit says there was a problem and disconnects. I tried the local primary number (I live on the San Francisco peninsula) for Redwood City and it connected fine. On a hunch I tried all the alternate numbers and not one of them worked (same as described above).


But the primary one for Redwood City works just fine.


Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtaylor
I noticed something interesting of late. The local access number (an alternate number I use since it incurs no charge) I was using is not working. When you dial in, it appears to connect and then after a bit says there was a problem and disconnects. I tried the local primary number (I live on the San Francisco peninsula) for Redwood City and it connected fine. On a hunch I tried all the alternate numbers and not one of them worked (same as described above).


But the primary one for Redwood City works just fine.


Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.
Not working in San Diego Area! will try another number. Thanks for the heads up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajon
Not working in San Diego Area! will try another number. Thanks for the heads up!
main number for Pine Valley works but all other alternate numbers for East San Diego county do not work. Now it is a toll call every night 18 cents a minute for Four showstoppers every night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajon
main number for Pine Valley works but all other alternate numbers for East San Diego county do not work. Now it is a toll call every night 18 cents a minute for Four showstoppers every night.
Two solutions:

1. Specify a different phone number and get an out-of-state number. Should be cheaper than in-state LD.


2. Look into using Google Talk like some people tested with Perc/Laho.


Robert
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
AFAIK, DNNA doesn't have their own dialup lines, they're just using third-party dialup ISP services.


I wouldn't be surprised if DNNA is reducing the number of ISPs they've contracted with, to save money. After all, they wanted to shut down this service entirely, and only kept it going reluctantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I have been trying to connect for several days without luck. I tried multiple phone numbers in my area without success. However, based on your astute deduction, I tried one of the "primary" numbers in Baltimore - and YES - SUCCESS. Apparently the Alternate numbers are not working - only the Primary numbers. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Yes, changing the number dialed to Primary rather than Alternate did the trick.


Thank you everyone.


But I agree - if the Alternate numbers are no longer working, why can't they post a message and tell us this?


By the way, I tried a few different numbers in Alternate (local calls) before finding the hint to go to Primary number (toll call). So - its definitely the alternate numbers that aren't working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Yes, it's true here in the East Bay too. My replay wasn't connecting through the local, Richmond number, so I had to switch to a primary, Oakland number. I'm not sure if that's a toll call or not; I'll wait and see my next phone bill, and if it is a toll call, decide if it's worth it--I hardly use my replay anymore since analog OTA is gone, and I only have limited basic on Comcast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Thanks DNNA, I called ATT today and ended up with unlimited nationwide calling and saved $20.00 a month! I had a really old plan! If you had not cut off my local acess number I would have left things as they were! Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
DNNA has nothing to do with access numbers. They contract out and have no control over the extinction of dial up internet access.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36
DNNA has nothing to do with access numbers. They contract out and have no control over the extinction of dial up internet access.
Of course they do. Your RTV should keep its list of dial-up access numbers current. While they don't have control over the extinction of dial-up access, they DO have control over the list of numbers displayed on your RTV whilst setting up modem access...


Cheers!

-Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa
Of course they do. Your RTV should keep its list of dial-up access numbers current. While they don't have control over the extinction of dial-up access, they DO have control over the list of numbers displayed on your RTV whilst setting up modem access...


Cheers!

-Doug
But having control and actually doing the work may not be the same thing, if nobody is minding the store.


BTW, while searching for an access number that worked, I noticed that I got my clock set and my channel lineup refreshed each time, even though my local access number was not working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswine /forum/post/20910577


Yes, changing the number dialed to Primary rather than Alternate did the trick.


Thank you everyone.


But I agree - if the Alternate numbers are no longer working, why can't they post a message and tell us this?


By the way, I tried a few different numbers in Alternate (local calls) before finding the hint to go to Primary number (toll call). So - its definitely the alternate numbers that aren't working.

That isn't true here (east Texas). I tried several alternate numbers (from my 2020) and all connected.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reden /forum/post/20905366


Two solutions:

1. Specify a different phone number and get an out-of-state number. Should be cheaper than in-state LD.


2. Look into using Google Talk like some people tested with Perc/Laho.


Robert

Third solution. Write to the attorney general again and complain they are not providing the lifetime service they were providing all these years as part of your service activation agreement.


I wrote to the California attorney general and I got back letters saying they were contacting Panasonic and Replaytv. Then magically they decided not to discontinue the service. Imagine that.


I have errors now and cannot find a local number for my showstoppers. I just don't think having to make a toll call is reasonable.


That said, the problem may very well be that they didn't pay their bill.


I have blank guide and error failing to connect. Sometimes "Unable to authorize connection".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
To clarify a bit, when I said the Alternate numbers didn't work for me, I meant that the update didn't complete. Listening in on an extension showed the dialing process and modem chatter went as expected, but the communication was then terminated for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gring40 /forum/post/20926888


To clarify a bit, when I said the Alternate numbers didn't work for me, I meant that the update didn't complete. Listening in on an extension showed the dialing process and modem chatter went as expected, but the communication was then terminated for some reason.

That's what happens for me. An error and it never is successful.


I just tried again, it says "network link down" There are primary numbers but that are all long distance for me. The alternates that are local are not working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajon /forum/post/20915586


Thanks DNNA, I called ATT today and ended up with unlimited nationwide calling and saved $20.00 a month! I had a really old plan! If you had not cut off my local acess number I would have left things as they were! Thanks again!

Not wanting to hijack the thread but I had a similar experience a few months ago. I called my phone company about the high cost and low features of my phone service (in NY they charged a dime for each outgoing call once upon a time and I still had that plan). They put me on a cheaper plan, with free national LD and caller ID. I went with it instead of a VoIP option because I like having a landline that doesn't (necessarily) stop working during a power outage, works with FAX and other modem based hardware, etc.


If anyone has landline service and haven't made recent inquiries about plan options, it's probably a good time to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
It seems likely they are dumping the dialup users by providing no dialups that are usable.


I am sitting here with blank guides. Just like the announcement said. EPG discontinued, but not the way they tried to.
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top