AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Most people are impressed with Bose, too, initially.:) On a more serious thought, I think movies in 5.1 or 7.1 PCM is a better sonic experience than ATMOS. I was listening to Kill Bill in PCM, and there was a ten fold sonic difference between it and Dolby Digital with the PCM being totally immersive and having a powerful and dynamic sound. Also, ATMOS does not make sense to me. If there a helicopter or plane flying overhead in a movie, and it comes from my ceiling, that does not seem accurate to me because the aircraft is overhead on the screen not above me. For me, ceiling sound does not make a movie more enjoyable, but rather, the movie itself. Too many people enamored with this new surround codec seem to be more interested in effect itself rather than the overall sonic experience. But, to be honest, if I had a dedicated media room, I'd be tempted to add ATMOS, but just to show off. As of now, I could care less. It may be due to my age, and the fact that I was an audio salesman in the mid '70s and saw technological advances come and go. I have seen Dobly DBX come and go, Dolby Surround, come and go, Dolby Pro Logic come and go, etc. So for me, hearing a few sounds coming from the ceiling was just unimpressive and it felt gimmicky. In Transformer 4, I heard bullets flying from the ceiling, but yet, in the movie the bullets were flying on ground level. Go figure. For me, its not the surround codec, but the overall sonic experience that gives sonic integrity.
I was wondering the same thing. It's like surround and rear sounds - all the visuals are in front of you and the movie is in 3rd person, not point of view, so first person sound seems odd when you think about it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
In my mind the most impressive Atmos movie I've seen is Everest. I think it provided a great example of just what this technology is capable of doing. During the entire movie the only thing that the overhead channels really did was provide wind and weather sounds. The effect of it made the movie incredibly immersive, to the point where my wife said the sound alone was making her feel cold. Movies like Transformers want to come out and shove Atmos in your face, it frankly falls perfectly in line with everything that series is about. Everest is so much more subtle in what it does, however it makes for a great experience.
I think Everest is an exception. I got that same sensation from Everest with a 5.1 set-up. Everest is probably the most immersive sound movie to date. It would probably be a good test movie for stores selling bad Atmos applications because if one had not seen the movie, they would probably credit everything to the Atmos set-up they were testing.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
In my mind the most impressive Atmos movie I've seen is Everest. I think it provided a great example of just what this technology is capable of doing. During the entire movie the only thing that the overhead channels really did was provide wind and weather sounds. The effect of it made the movie incredibly immersive, to the point where my wife said the sound alone was making her feel cold. Movies like Transformers want to come out and shove Atmos in your face, it frankly falls perfectly in line with everything that series is about. Everest is so much more subtle in what it does, however it makes for a great experience.
I agree with checker9. It was the movie, itself, not ATMOS that made the sound so immersive. I have a 7.1 setup using a Bryston SP3 processor, it felt cold to me, too, when the winds were blowing.:) The movie was just that immersive.

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
In Everest the sounds of the helicopter blades are above you from the ceiling while the other sounds are around you. The blades on a helicopter are in fact above it if you have not noticed ;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Can you tell me more about you room? Any pics?

I have the Pioneer AJs in the front. If I were to go 5.1.4, I'd be looking at the upward firing modules in the front. I could do in ceiling in the back, but have to see if that is Atmos approved.

Thanks!
Ignore the mess, this is all I have at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Atmos is definitely getting better due to sound mixers going through a learning curve...............

While Everest is fine, I found "Goosebumps" with the bees flying around and through your head was a neat experience................and IMHO, San Andreas had many scenes which had me ducking for cover from falling objects. Atmos done right ie. proper calibration, proper speakers which have exceptional off axis behavior and dynamics make for quite the experience. My ceiling speakers for Atmos are just as capable as my mains and surrounds.............IMHO, this makes for a unique movie viewing experience and truly is what makes Atmos come to life! Ceiling speakers with broad dispersion, dynamics, and ability to dip down to 60-70 Hz with authority should be highly considered..................not too many candidates out there at this moment, but I suspect more will be coming soon. ;)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Most people are impressed with Bose, too, initially.:) On a more serious thought, I think movies in 5.1 or 7.1 PCM is a better sonic experience than ATMOS. I was listening to Kill Bill in PCM, and there was a ten fold sonic difference between it and Dolby Digital with the PCM being totally immersive and having a powerful and dynamic sound. Also, ATMOS does not make sense to me. If there a helicopter or plane flying overhead in a movie, and it comes from my ceiling, that does not seem accurate to me because the aircraft is overhead on the screen not above me. For me, ceiling sound does not make a movie more enjoyable, but rather, the movie itself. Too many people enamored with this new surround codec seem to be more interested in effect itself rather than the overall sonic experience. But, to be honest, if I had a dedicated media room, I'd be tempted to add ATMOS, but just to show off. As of now, I could care less. It may be due to my age, and the fact that I was an audio salesman in the mid '70s and saw technological advances come and go. I have seen Dobly DBX come and go, Dolby Surround, come and go, Dolby Pro Logic come and go, etc. So for me, hearing a few sounds coming from the ceiling was just unimpressive and it felt gimmicky. In Transformer 4, I heard bullets flying from the ceiling, but yet, in the movie the bullets were flying on ground level. Go figure. For me, its not the surround codec, but the overall sonic experience that gives sonic integrity.
What films have you heard on an Atmos system?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. It's like surround and rear sounds - all the visuals are in front of you and the movie is in 3rd person, not point of view, so first person sound seems odd when you think about it.
i wholeheartedly agree with this. every time a sound plays in the surround im tempted to turn my head and then i ask myself why TF! a sound is playing behind or beside me when the action is on screen in front of me. at the end of the day, its just distracting noise.

i finally just took the surrounds out and the enjoyment factor is much better with just a 3.1 system

·
Registered
287 Posts
Almost all of Tranformer 4, San Andreas, and the Dolby Atmos demo.
On those two films, I agree that Atmos is mostly used as a gimmick, but then again they are popcorn films.

The best use of Atmos I have heard are in Gravity, Unbroken, Dawn of the Apes, Everest and The Revenant; where Atmos is used to expand the sound field (all except Gravity) and provide positional information by moving principal dialogue as well (Gravity, Revenant). The serious mixes are far and between.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
On those two films, I agree that Atmos is mostly used as a gimmick, but then again they are popcorn films.

The best use of Atmos I have heard are in Gravity, Unbroken, Dawn of the Apes, Everest and The Revenant; where Atmos is used to expand the sound field (all except Gravity) and provide positional information by moving principal dialogue as well (Gravity, Revenant). The serious mixes are far and between.
Also, I was listening to ATMOS in an audio store where they were using an Integra Processor and Revel speakers. It was a pretty decent system, and I could hear the object based sound, but I was simply unimpressed. I own a Bryston SP3, and it seem to be on another sonic level than the Integra. I felt the sonic prowess of the SP3 trumped whatever sonic improvement ATMOS supposedly offers.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts

Agree with these titles...

Although The Revenant is an excellent mix, I don't believe it's in Atmos...perhaps there's a version I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Should I upgrade my receiver to get Dolby Atmos? Is it really worth it.
Thanks
Having upgraded my Denon AVR 5700 after years of super enjoyment to a Denon x5200W with Atmos. Later on upgraded Auro3D on it. Both Demos sold me on this new audio experience. Adding up firing front & rear speakers & lots of content slow coming is great. The only thing that crushed this new experience is out came DTS/X and Denon firmware for it does not support the AVr x5200w. Yes the AV6200 has it but not worth extra cost at this time. YES Atmos + is worth it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm still piecing together my home theater for 7.2.4 atmos. When we moved to our current house 3 years ago, I had to give up my old HT-in-a-box 5.1 setup. This forum helped encourage (tempt) me to spend a lot more than I ever thought I would on HT. After lurking on this site for years, I've noticed that there are four ground rules when doing any HT project:
1. happy wife so make sure whatever you get is acceptable for the home
2. no compromise on your front LCR setup
3. no compromise on your subs and get at least two
4. try to timbre match everything

Applying those four rules has me about $9,000 invested just in audio and I still don't have a processor. In addition, I'll need room treatments for the acoustics and ideally new furniture to improve the movie-watching experience. When all is said and done I'll be in about $20k for everything before I watch my first movie. This is a massive jump from the $250 5.1 kit I used to have.

Moral of the story: it's expensive keeping the wife happy ;)

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
Also, I was listening to ATMOS in an audio store where they were using an Integra Processor and Revel speakers. It was a pretty decent system, and I could hear the object based sound, but I was simply unimpressed. I own a Bryston SP3, and it seem to be on another sonic level than the Integra. I felt the sonic prowess of the SP3 trumped whatever sonic improvement ATMOS supposedly offers.

What you are talking about has nothing to due with Atmos. I would never rely on anything I hear at a store. What is your system and room compared to this demo room? Setup of the room will have a huge difference in itself.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm still piecing together my home theater for 7.2.4 atmos. When we moved to our current house 3 years ago, I had to give up my old HT-in-a-box 5.1 setup. This forum helped encourage (tempt) me to spend a lot more than I ever thought I would on HT. After lurking on this site for years, I've noticed that there are four ground rules when doing any HT project:
1. happy wife so make sure whatever you get is acceptable for the home
2. no compromise on your front LCR setup
3. no compromise on your subs and get at least two
4. try to timbre match everything

Applying those four rules has me about $9,000 invested just in audio and I still don't have a processor. In addition, I'll need room treatments for the acoustics and ideally new furniture to improve the movie-watching experience. When all is said and done I'll be in about $20k for everything before I watch my first movie. This is a massive jump from the $250 5.1 kit I used to have.

Moral of the story: it's expensive keeping the wife happy ;)
I agree with everything you said and I'll add emphatically yes it's worth it. I'm on my second day of having my Atmos/DTS:X setup complete. I'm coming from a 5.2 and now have a 7.2.4 setup and I'll use the overused term night and day difference. I'm waiting for my copy of Gravity Diamond Luxe edition but tonight we're going to check out Roger Waters The Wall.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In Everest the sounds of the helicopter blades are above you from the ceiling while the other sounds are around you. The blades on a helicopter are in fact above it if you have not noticed ;)
Can someone let me know if the version of Everest that Netflix sends out has the Atmos soundtrack on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
I agree with everything you said and I'll add emphatically yes it's worth it. I'm on my second day of having my Atmos/DTS:X setup complete. I'm coming from a 5.2 and now have a 7.2.4 setup and I'll use the overused term night and day difference. I'm waiting for my copy of Gravity Diamond Luxe edition but tonight we're going to check out Roger Waters The Wall.
You're going to enjoy that one! :D

121 - 140 of 318 Posts