AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this topic has been discussed here but I've been absent from many forums lately and I must play 'catch-up'.

Anyhow, what's up with DVD movies these days. I can't remember a 'new' release movie in the last 6-8 mths. that has a choice between DD5.1 and DTS. Everything just seems to have DD5.1 - only! (well, that and another language choice). Is DTS gone? What happened?

Thanks,

Rob N.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
X2, X-men United had DTS, as a matter of fact so did the extended edition of The Two Towers. There are probably many other recent releases that aren't jumping out at me right now.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well, not if you count the Two Towers: Extended Edition, or the new 35th Aniverary Planet of the Apes, or Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit. You are right though, they do seem to be few and far between. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can think of Pirates of the Carribean and the upcoming Kill Bill Vol 1. At least Buena Vista, Columbia, Universal, New Line, Dreamworks and Fox kind of support DTS on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
it's a shame...move allextras to 2nd dvd and include a dts track on ALL dvds!!yeah.. i know that's not possible!!

brickie

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brickie
it's a shame...move allextras to 2nd dvd and include a dts track on ALL dvds!!yeah.. i know that's not possible!!
But still include the avaliable audio commentaries and eliminate the 5.1 French or Spanish tracks. :cool:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I was so disappointed when I saw at my local movie rental shack "Lord of the G-Strings" - no DTS.

:p

·
Registered
411 Posts
I love the French language tracks especially in the love scenes :p Getting back to the point in issue - they say with the new HD DVD, almost all DVD's that are released will come with a DTS track, but we have heard that before, and my pig ain't flying yet!

Mark

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
....I think the lack of DTS soundtracks on DVDs has more to do with the amount of space necessary for the bit-rate encoding of DTS soundtracks versus the option of offering bonus material that almost all DVDs are expected to have nowadays....Given the choice between including DTS or extensive bonus material, which one of the two choices do you think most DVD engineers/producers/directors will choose to leave out ????

That, as well as the fact that Dolby Digital is officially part of the specs for DVDs, would almost certainly force mastering engineers to fore-go DTS in favor of bonus materials....The thinking goes along these lines : if the DVD already has DD (specially a full DD 5.1 soundtrack) and i need to include as much bonus material as possible, then why bother with DTS ???

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
....I think the lack of DTS soundtracks on DVDs has more to do with the amount of space necessary for the bit-rate encoding of DTS soundtracks

In the speculate why there aren't more DTS soundtracks pool, put me down on "costs money" over "takes up space".

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think it's been pretty much said w/o being said that they look at the sales #'s and see if their investment in putting the DTS on there will be recouped or not. I also think it can be dependent on the director and I don't mean those that some would like to point out as being in collusion(sp?) with DTS.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
....I think the lack of DTS soundtracks on DVDs has more to do with the amount of space necessary for the bit-rate encoding of DTS soundtracks

In the speculate why there aren't more DTS soundtracks pool, put me down on "costs money" over "takes up space".
"Costs more money" cetainly makes more sense than "takes up too much space". The studio has the option of adding another disc.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm one of those people who hasn't really noticed much difference between DD and DTS. The only difference I do notice is that with DTS I often have sync problems (DVD player or Receiver??), but as far as sound quality goes when I compare (not a/b though) I cannot really discern the difference. I realize it should be there due to the bit rate, but it must be subtle as I cannot detect it. If there are any DVD's that you feel really showcase the improvement, please divulge as I would be curious to experiment some more. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:
If there are any DVD's that you feel really showcase the improvement, please divulge as I would be curious to experiment some more. Thanks.
Saving Private Ryan

Open Range has a dts track and it sounds quite nice. I have yet to play the dd track.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrimpin
I'm one of those people who hasn't really noticed much difference between DD and DTS. The only difference I do notice is that with DTS I often have sync problems (DVD player or Receiver??), but as far as sound quality goes when I compare (not a/b though) I cannot really discern the difference. I realize it should be there due to the bit rate, but it must be subtle as I cannot detect it. If there are any DVD's that you feel really showcase the improvement, please divulge as I would be curious to experiment some more. Thanks.
There's a difference, but how much you notice yourself is very dependant on (a) the disc in question, (b) your equipment, and (c) your ears.

The best sounding DTS discs are the older full-rate DTS discs that didn't have DD5.1 at all. Full-rate DTS discs are no longer made ... a pity.

Ron-P mentioned Saving Private Ryan - very good example of a DTS full-rate disc that's considerably better then the DD5.1 counterpart.

Kal

·
Registered
409 Posts
Im sorry but people really need to look at a DVD in dvdshrink. Most of the time menus take up more space than a DTS track. A 5.1 DTS track takes up about 1/12th of a DVD, its not like its hogging huge amounts of space.

·
Registered
411 Posts
DTS is alive and well in Australia, I know that much. I am sure it is alive all over, just a matter of finding where?!

Mark

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.