AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the DVD-A world. I just purchased two DVD-A discs: Faith Hill, Cry and Eagles, Hotel California. When I play the discs, my receiver (Denon 3803) reads "Stereo" on the display. Since I have it set to auto-detect the input, I would have expected it to read "Dolby D". Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Connect up the analogue outs of your dvd player to the analogue ins on your reciever then use that input for playback.

You do have a DVD-A player right? If not you might just be getting the compatibility track.

- Rick

·
Registered
301 Posts
DVD-A requires a 5.1 channel analog output from your DVD player connected to the 5.1 channel analog input on your amp. You're probably listening to the compressed Dolby Digital stream. DVD-A uses the Meridian Lossless Packing algorithm (MLP).

Here's some info Guide to DVD-A

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I should have provided more information about my setup...

I'm using a Panasonic RP91 DVD player, which does support DVD-Audio. I have it connected to my Denon 3803 using the Optical Digital connections. I know this all works fine because I use it all the time for DVD movies. And when I do, the receiver always reads "Dolby D".

But when I play DVD-Audio, the receiver defaults to stereo. And, of course, I only get sound from the fronts. So what I'm trying to figure out is how do I get the DVD-Audio to play multichannel? I've selected "Sorround" in the menu, but still only stereo is output.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Reread the previous posts. As I understand it, DVD-A and SACD can NOT be output digitally by the player, only via discrete analog outputs. So you need a player with 5.1 analog outs, and a receiver with 5.1 analog ins.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
Reread the previous posts. As I understand it, DVD-A and SACD can NOT be output digitally by the player, only via discrete analog outputs. So you need a player with 5.1 analog outs, and a receiver with 5.1 analog ins.
You've got to be kidding me? Can someone else confirm this?

·
Registered
931 Posts
no he is not kidding you

you must use the analog outs the RP-91 should mention this in the manual

"Ideally, a receiver or preamplifier with 6 RCA analog inputs, that does not convert the analog signal back to digital for internal processing and that supports a dynamic range and frequency response comparable with the ultra-high audio fidelity possible with DVD-Audio.

However, a DVD-Audio player can also be used with a two channel stereo system. Many DVD-Audio disks will contain 2 channel PCM stereo tracks and for those disks recorded only in multi-channel PCM, the DVD-Audio players will downmix the multi-channel recording into stereo.

It is expected that for the foreseeable future, all DVD-Audio players will include internal DAC’s (Digital to Analog Converters) and processors with output being provided to six RCA analog connections. The commonly used digital connectors (optical and coaxial) are not capable of handling the data rates that can be generated by a DVD-Audio player. Future DVD-Audio players may include a digital FireWire (IEEE 1394) connection with can handle the high data rate. In September, 2001 the DVD Forum released Version 0.9 of the Guideline of Transmission and Control for DVD-Video/Audio through IEEE1394 Bus (pdf)

Note: DVD-Audio sets a new standard in frequency response and dynamic range.

Therefore, to take full advantage of DVD-Audio, the capabilities of EACH audio component in a system must be examined. This includes speakers, connections and power conditioning. It may be necessary to use the highest quality and shortest possible RCA patch cables to not suffer loss of any frequency response and maintain low-noise levels."

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq...Audio%20discs?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, was I ever off-base! I hooked up my analogs like you guys said and, whola, music to my ears! Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
879 Posts
The Panny RP-91 has excellent DACs, and, depending on your receiver and the quality of its DACs, audio may actually sound better bypassing a digital connection.

Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.