AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean just what the title says. I have a few DVD-A titles that I play on my roommate's Denon 3800, and I would like to be able to play them on the new HTPC I'm building in August. I'd like to go with the Revo because of M-Audio's overall quality, and the fact that I can decode many surround formats (such as CSII and WMA) in software and only use the analog input set on my receiver. I'm reluctant to consider an Audigy 2 because of the overall poor repuation of the company's hardware and drivers. Will I be able to play DVD-A with a Revo someday relatively soon? Or is this dead with legal problems?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would like to know this as well. Seems to me that if Creative was able to to it, M-Audio ought to be able to do it as well, and better. At one point there was supposed to be an IOU for the player when it became available but nobody ever got one. (?) I sent M-Audio an email about this and they said "The Revolution will be shipping with WinDVD 4 (Dolby Digital EX version), so anything else is available only through the reseller who is offering it."

So at this point? Vaporware.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great. I bought one of these thinking I could get DVD-A already, and I can't even use it to get sound from Winamp currently. I bought a Panasonic DVD-F85S 5-disc DVD-V/A player for only $50 more than the Revo that now serves me no purpose. :(

-will

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the Audigy 2 a viable alternative in terms of quality? I've heard some bad stuff about it, but then again, I've heard some pretty bad stuff about the Revo, too. I'd really like DVD-A support and all-analog-output for WMA sound and CSII. Can anyone weigh in on how decent the Audigy 2 is by comparison?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a Revo, now an Audigy2. Works fine, no driver issues. I'm running 5.1 analogue channels into my receiver (haven't bought a back speaker yet). DVD-Audio sounds stunning, even though my speakers aren't doing it complete justice yet.

-Doug

·
Registered
814 Posts
SKoprowski,

Since a dvd-a solution does not even exist for the Revo, and there does not seem to be anything firm on the calender - is it really something to consider?

One could always pipe it through a outlaw icbm (much like others who are using stb sacd/dvda units that have poor bass management)

-pd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.