AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is DVHS compatable with my setup? If not what is a reasonable second choice for recording my HDTV and other digital and analog cable broadcasts for personal use. (Am I correct in assuming it is legal to digitally record this stuff for personal use?)

I have:

1)Pioneer 56" HD610 RPTV

2)Comcast cable-using Motorola DCT5100 (seems to have component video out and coaxial or optical digital spdif audio out)

3) Denon 3802 Receiver

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.......

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
You can play, of course. But you cannot record. You need a Firewire connection for that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmmmm.......guess the best I can do is S-Vhs for now. Eventually, maybe the cable box will come with it, although I just got the DCT5100, so it is pretty new.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Tachy,

There are very few STBs with firewire out. I was under the impression that the DCT-5100 was available with an optional firewire out, however. You may want to ask your cable company about this.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
The Comcast DCT-5100 does not support the firewire port. It's one of those "for future use" items that they'll likely never use in the future.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought a S-VHS deck today......a Mitsubishi U778 deck. The biggest problem does not seem to be the video quality...........that is not too bad in SVHS format (or even psuedo-SVHS, the SVHS-ET on regular tape), but it is the sound quality that takes a big decrement compared with digital cable sound quality. I guess you go from multichanel broadcast to pure stereo (even though my receiver uses dolby prologic II, it seems to be a very noticible difference).......too bad the SVHS does not have some sort of digital sound input, like coaxial or optical sound cable........

The DVHS does I guess, but without a working firewire, I cannot justify spending so much money.

I must say, the way it controls the my Motorola cable box, with the little IR emitter that sits under the box is kind of neat......not that I will use it much, but it allows the vcr programming function to control the channels of the cable box for recording purposes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.