Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have now a 15 meter long vga cabel connected to my ae100. And my htpc works very good with the 1:1 pixel mapping. And i want to uppgrade to the ae500 as soon as possible. And i wonder about the dvi thing. Is it better than vga with htpc? And by the way the ae500 specs looks very good! I also wonder how much 3 db lover noise really is.(ae100 has 30db)

Regards

·
Registered
727 Posts
i have seen a direct comparison between dvi/vga on a ?7000 PJ and really couldn't tell the difference

you'll have probs with long cable

dvi doesn't like much over 7 metres without boosting/optic route

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree, I can't see any quality difference between DVI and VGA, at least for SXGA and lower resolutions. Go with whichever is more convenient for your setup.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Actually, 3dB is twice the power. 10dB is twice as loud. I can't speak from personal experience on the VGA vs DVI issue, but pretty much every report I have read from people who have 'upgraded' their connection to DVI (on the same PJ) have said it is a notable improvement. Granted those reports have usually been from people with higher-res, higher-dollar machines..

RG

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a DVI dlp pj on a 15 foot cable and it lookes perfect. It broke and I had a loner for a little while and I tried to use a 12 foot vga cable on this lcd pj. The long vga cable gave me horrendus noise and distortion, I could only use it with a 6 foot cable after all. I don't know if it had anything to do with the lcd pj but after that experiance I would stick with the DVI.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bedo
Is that normal for vga cables of that length or is that an exception?
It's an exception. A high quality VGA cable can be 50 feet without any visible video noise. On the other hand a crappy VGA cable of any length can give you a bad picture.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes, if you have a really crappy VGA cable, of course DVI will look better. I had a 10' Belkin VGA cable from bestBuy that was the cheapest, crappiest cable I have ever owned; noticeable ghosting in the image. On the other hand, every stock vga cable that has come with my displays looks perfect and is just as good as dvi (assuming you calibrate the inputs to look the same, and auto-sync with vga every now and then). If you need much longer than the stock cable you may need to look at higher quality cables.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow a lot of answers since yesterday! Thanks.

I have to correct something. My vga cable is 50 feet long (not 15 metres) Hehe. But it is 15 meters too. Just joking. As most of the people here are using feet as a standard. It is a expensive vga cable, very thick. And i cant understand how the picture can be better. I use a matrox G550 dualhead graphics card.

Maybe it would be better with dvi at a higher resulution like rick guynn said. And i am happy to hear that 3db is like 6db in real, that must get the ae500 to be like about 20%(or 40%?) more quiet than the ae100! But anyway i could never use a dvi cable if it cant be longer than 23 feet, because my pc is in my cellar and my home theatre are on the 1 floor. And it works fine with a cordless mouse 50 feet away.

Cheers

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi,

What do you mean auto synching occasionally with vga?

Who would you guys order from today and how much is necessary to spend for good 25-30 ft. vga and dvi?

Should I try to keep all power cords and plug panel away from all video and audio cabling?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bedo i think if your cable is properly isolated it doesent really matter if its close to the power cables. I have never had any problem anyway.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.