AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Panny TH-42PWD6UY. I don't have a DVD player and need to make a decision between DVI equipped (which means I'll also have to get a DVI card for my Panny for another $220), or a decent component connected DVD. Will the DVI connection make a big difference on an ED display? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pretzelboy
I'm in awe of the pq with bravo and 6uy. Ante up the $220.....can't take it with you.
pretzelboy,

May I ask you and/or other owners of 6uy and Bravo (or Samsung 931) to post some pics. I understand that you are in awe. But I am also in awe looking at the pics that Rich Harkness can get using theoretically much inferior analog S-video connection and his two generations older ED panel. Is your PQ really significantly better than his?

Andrzej

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
I'd always seen room for improvement on the Panny ED plasma in terms of picture precision, so I used to pine for DVI. Happily my next plasma will no doubt offer DVI. But when I look at the performance my current set-up offers in terms of clarity and lack of noise, I am truly at a loss to imagine a Panny ED model looking clearer. (With the exception that a DVI connection should get me some richer color than what I get through my S-Video connection). I say this after having seen the effects of DVI vs analog connections on other digital displays.

I wish I could see the new Panny with DVI to see what the dealio is with the picture performance.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
But when I look at the performance my current set-up offers in terms of clarity and lack of noise, I am truly at a loss to imagine a Panny ED model looking clearer. (With the exception that a DVI connection should get me some richer color than what I get through my S-Video connection).
Rich,

Component or RGB or VGA also give me richer color than S-video. But you know what? For SD signal I prefer and use composite. My ED Panny does really a good job in this department. SDTV via composite looks more natural than all other available connections on my ED Panny. I don't care if color is richer via component or RGB if the overall impression is less satisfying. For HD signal I use VGA because it looks best and I save the component connection for my DVD player. And by "best" I always mean most realistic looking - as you defined it in your "steaming rats" method.

Andrzej

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
Andrzej,

Same here. Component seems to offer richer color, but whenever I try watching the component signal I'm aware I could be seeing a smoother, sharper image and end up switching back to the S-Video.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess I'm a little slow, and this may be straying OT from the original post, but are you guys saying that a DVD player with component out, S-video out, and composite out will get a better picture on a Panny ED using the composite connection instead of either the component or S-video?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Bad
I guess I'm a little slow, and this may be straying OT from the original post, but are you guys saying that a DVD player with component out, S-video out, and composite out will get a better picture on a Panny ED using the composite connection instead of either the component or S-video?
Not necessarily. Rich Harkness is getting the best PQ using S-video. It’s probably due to the combination of his DVD player, his super-duper S-video cable and ED Panny. Some get the best PQ with good progressive DVD players via component. Some get it via composite - especially with older interlaced-only DVD players. Your mileage may vary. Forget the theory and just experiment with various set-ups. It's part of the whole fun.

Andrzej

·
Registered
476 Posts
It is my understanding that S-Video limits bandwith of the chroma signal as compared to the component type.

Does anybody have an explanation why S-Video would look better?

Mike

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I looked into the cost of the Nordost S-video cable that Rich uses, and it had better be "super duper" given its cost - $250! For less than that, I can get a DVI card for my Panny 6UY. I'm eventially going to need it anyway when the HD Tivo is released. And since I'm doing that, I'll go ahead and get a DVI DVD player. I am curious if anyone with an ED Panny has experience they can share on how it does using a DVI DVD.

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
brick33308,

I got a very good deal on the cable ;)

Back to DVI discussion...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, back to the DVI discussion . . .

I can't seem to get a handle on whether DVI in an ED display in terms renders better PQ than does component or VGA - in terms of HD feed. If it won't amount to a hill of beans, then I won't get the DVI card, and if I'm not getting that card, then I certainly don't need to get a DVI DVD player.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Big Bad

Composite for SD cable signal and component for the DVD

now back to DVI ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
FWIW, I have a Panny ED panel (42PA20) and have tried both a DVI STB (Pio 3510HD) and DVI-DVD (Samsung 931). I find the component input to be about equal in terms of PQ to the DVI on the STB when properly calibrated, and I did not like the PQ from the Samsung at all. It went back for a Denon 1600 through component, which is superb. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with the DVI board and spend that money on a good component DVD player.

·
Registered
28 Posts
DVI on my 42PA20 is amazing when using the Samsung 931 dvd player. I don't understand what all the debate is about. The Samsung/Bravo DVD players are only about $100 more than other component dvd players. This shouldn't even be a question

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But for the Panny 6UY which doesn't come with a DVI card, you have to factor in the cost of that card (another $200) plus cost of the cable. I'm not at all adverse to spending the extra money, I just want to know that it will yield a measurable difference in PQ. So far the concensus is that it won't.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brick33308
But for the Panny 6UY which doesn't come with a DVI card, you have to factor in the cost of that card (another $200) plus cost of the cable. I'm not at all adverse to spending the extra money, I just want to know that it will yield a measurable difference in PQ. So far the concensus is that it won't.
A 3 meter cable comes with the Panny DVI. I was very happy when I found that out, because they are not cheap. The included cable appears to be high quality, and it is just enough to go through my wall and back out to reach my HTPC.

·
23,032 Posts
Quote:
A 3 meter cable comes with the Panny DVI. I was very happy when I found that out, because they are not cheap.
"cheap" is relative, but a 3m DVI-D dual link cable from a reputable

dealer is less than $20. It's an excellent cable. (I'm tip-toeing around

dealer/price posting).

I'm wondering if the DVI card does things differently wrt signal path

than the "builtin" of the consumer version.

larry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.