AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
No and the PQ really leaves a lot to be desired. To me, the picture looks very flat. The CGI scenes look great, but the filmed portions look "dead". Other shows on UPN look awesome, so I don't know if it's the way it was filmed or what. I am viewing on KPTV Digital Ch 30-01 in Portland, OR with a Dish 6000 receiver.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Not broadcast in HD, but it is shot with HD cameras. I wish I had a URL. I think it was discussed on this board though. So maybe we can hope UPN gets online with HD now that everyone (but Fox) is.

At least they show it in OAR.

Sean

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
Those of you who already have UPN broadcasting digitally, is Enterprise broadcast in HD?
UPN Digital 45 in the SF Bay Area is awful, IMHO. Mind you, I only really watch Enterprise, so maybe that is what is awful ;)

It seems that SF UPN just broadcasts its analogue feed digitised, so there are crappy analog effects visible in the digital feed...

It is broadcast letterbox in 4:3 - would prefer to see it 16:9 at least...

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I;m glad you think the CG is groovy, but I can tell you almost without a doubt that the CG footage is being produced at 720x480. If they did an HD presentation, they would be upscaling the CG.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
Those of you who already have UPN broadcasting digitally, is Enterprise broadcast in HD?
It's barely in SD here in Washington on Channel 20. Very fuzzy. Terrible (or is that trible) PQ.

·
Registered
782 Posts
gravy,

That's just what I read. The CG is in SD, but the actual "filming" was with HD cameras.

I know it was discussed on this board. I just can't find it... .

Anyway, it doesn't matter as long as UPN keeps broadcasting LBX SD.

Sean

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean_S
gravy,

That's just what I read. The CG is in SD, but the actual "filming" was with HD cameras.
For at least the 20th time, Enterprise is shot on film and transferred to HD. The visual effects are done in standard definition and upconverted, then integrated into the HD master. The master is then downconverted and letterboxed for air. It is NOT shot on HD video. If you doubt this, please see http://www.level3post.com/millimeter_hd.htm for confirmation.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The good news here is that Enterprise season 1 episodes are "in the can" as HD. We'll be able to enjoy these episodes at some future date in all their HD glory, not just upconverted. Don't forget the re-run aspect of the Trek empire. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.