AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying my first HDTV (gasp!)... although I do have a 24" 1080p LCD monitor that I use for my computer and gaming. I've decided on Plasma, but I'm comparing three models, all Panasonic: the G10, V10, and G15.

I'm not a huge videophile, but the flickering on the G10 (due to 48hz) worries me a bit. I've seen some videos ( like this one on a Samsung) of the flickering that scare me a little. Is it something that I would consistently be noticing? Does it happen on all devices? I've heard with the V10 it isn't a problem because of 96hz.

Basically, I would not get the V10 for the better picture quality (better colors, deeper blacks, etc.), but if flickering is a significant problem on the G10, then I might want to stay away from it.

Also, I can't find this anywhere: Is the G15 48hz or 96hz?

If it helps, the devices I will be connecting to the TV: Xbox 360 (HD component), PS3, Wii, Cable Box, and my PC (mainly as a media server, maybe a little gaming). Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjimbob /forum/post/17030480

I'm looking into buying my first HDTV (gasp!)... although I do have a 24" 1080p LCD monitor that I use for my computer and gaming. I've decided on Plasma, but I'm comparing three models, all Panasonic: the G10, V10, and G15.

I'm not a huge videophile, but the flickering on the G10 (due to 48hz) worries me a bit. I've seen some videos ( like this one on a Samsung) of the flickering that scare me a little. Is it something that I would consistently be noticing? Does it happen on all devices? I've heard with the V10 it isn't a problem because of 96hz.

Basically, I would not get the V10 for the better picture quality (better colors, deeper blacks, etc.), but if flickering is a significant problem on the G10, then I might want to stay away from it.

Also, I can't find this anywhere: Is the G15 48hz or 96hz?

If it helps, the devices I will be connecting to the TV: Xbox 360 (HD component), PS3, Wii, Cable Box, and my PC (mainly as a media server, maybe a little gaming). Thanks for any help!

G15 is 48hz in 24P, sadely 3:2 pulldown at 60hz(distributed on 600hz) look better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The flickering is only visible when watching 24p (blu ray) when the 48hz refresh is turned on. There is no flickering when watching 24p on the V10, when the 96hz is turned on.

Now, for flickering otherwise, I don't see any on my 42" G10. I bought mine for playing mostly Xbox 360 games (fps mostly). You say you want to use it with a pc, that would be fine. I think stationary images (desktop, word processor, ect) look better on lcd, but you say "media" so I imagine videos, photos, ect.

The V10 has a slightly better overall picture, with more features, but I choose the 42" G10 for its size (no 42" V10). As far as I am concerned, its the best 42" on the market...if I had room for a 50", then no doubt V10.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have a G15 which is basically the same as a G10 and I haven't noticed any issues with blu-ray movies played from a PS3. I've tried both 48 and 60Hz and everything looks fine.

I'm not even sure what flicker looks like. I've certainly not seen anything even remotely like the YouTube video in your link. I'm not confident a regular video camera could accurately capture it. I think you would need a super high speed camera.

Keep in mind, I'm not the type to analyze a picture and get bent out of shape if it's not 100% perfect like many posters here
. All things being equal, I prefer a better picture but mainly I want to enjoy the story or action and not be concerned about the exactness of how it's presented.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjimbob /forum/post/17030734

You say the flicker only happens with Blu-rays... does that include gaming on the PS3?

No there is no flickering with games on either the PS3 or the Xbox 360. The flicker is just a side effect from one of the tv options that you dont have to use if you dont want to and only applies to watching blu rays with this option selected. That video you posted is nothing like the flicker being discussed on these forums. That samsung looks defective in my opinion.

That tv option is enabling the 24p playback. In theory this should make the motion of the blu ray movie smoother (although many cannot tell the difference). A side effect of turning this feature on is that during bright scenes, the bright image can appear to lightly "flicker".

Finally on another good note, some people who turn on this 24p feature, dont even see the flicker, and those who do just turn it off and enjoy the set. All in all, if you like this tv, dont let the talk of the "flicker" on it deter you.

...flicker. Said it 6 times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I can just turn off 48hz and there will be no chance of flicker? I'm not concerned about the picture quality difference between the two sets, I just don't want any glaring issues that will drive me insane. I think I'm going to lean towards the G10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to own a Sharp Aquos 32" HD 720p...

When I connected my PS3 throught HDMI and the optical cable to a digital receiver, the image on the Aquos screen started to flicker, untill the image would go completly black (no image) and the TV into some sort of save mode.

I will soon buy a 50" G10, I hope it wouldn`t do that as well

Here`s an example of how that flickering-handshake issue looks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmGu_DchpY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.