AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal.. like many others, I picked up a BD drive for christmas, and am now trying to get things running the way they should..

My AVR does not support HDMI, so I am planning on outputting audio out as analog to the 6ch input of my reciever. Currently I have the full retail version of PowerDVD 8 Ultra, and I dont belive I am getting full resolution, full bandwidth digital audio. Is there any specific sound card or things that are needed for the analog side, or is this a lost cause..

on a 2nd topic.. I am debating wich would yield better results for the money.. building a HTPC around very high quality analog audio, and using my existing Yamaha RX-V630 reciever, or upgrading to a new, HDMI 1.3 reciever like the Yamaha RX-V663? the 663 would be used with a standard console BD player.

Thanks for the advice and help. I am at a loss to figure out how to make this "right".

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
does anyone know an answer to this post?

thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and it works with all the DRM crap to allow powerdvd to actually output the stuff?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zryder /forum/post/15481656

and it works with all the DRM crap to allow powerdvd to actually output the stuff?

No you have to use Total Media Theater from arcsoft to circumvent the DRM crap, but it comes with a license for it.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio /forum/post/15482597

TMT seems to be your best bet from what I can tell it gives full 24bit 8 channel analog output where PDVD down samples to 16bit.

See post 3222;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...81683&page=108

Retail TMT (pre .128) actually downsamples to 16 bit then upsamples to 24 bit. .128 no longer does the upsampling step.

The XONAR version does not downsample.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/15483926

Retail TMT (pre .128) actually downsamples to 16 bit then upsamples to 24 bit. .128 no longer does the upsampling step.

The XONAR version does not downsample.

If that is the case then it must not touch 16bit because 16bit sources stay 16bit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where do you guys see exactly what is coming over your system?

·
Registered
708 Posts
You are def. going to need a pci or pci-e sound card, built in sound cards have so much noise by the time the signal makes it to the receiver / preamp it's so degraded it's hardly worth playing, IMO.

Xonar D2X is a better pure analog source than it's HDAV HDMI based brother. Although both are great.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /forum/post/15488207

You are def. going to need a pci or pci-e sound card, built in sound cards have so much noise by the time the signal makes it to the receiver / preamp it's so degraded it's hardly worth playing, IMO.

Xonar D2X is a better pure analog source than it's HDAV HDMI based brother. Although both are great.

While that is true, the HDAV Deluxe verision is the only PAP solution for full resolution Blu-Ray playback.

The simple fact is right now on the PC if you want >16/48 playback from blu-ray (without hacking and remuxing) you need the Xonar HDAV + TMT combo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.