AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've heard a lot about the X-box being HDTV compatible, progressive scan dvd player, etc, etc, etc, but what about the NINTENDO GAMECUBE?? Will this machine be HDTV compatible too with 5.1 Dolby, 16x9 wide screen and 1080i resolution?

·
Registered
564 Posts
The highest rez on the GC is 480p. But they will have games that do 16x9.

------------------

Trevor

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Also the Game Cube will do Pro Logic II which is two RCA jacks to will give you 5.1 sound, according to Dolby. But the games have to support it.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nintendo, no-friend-o http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

On a more serious note, it should be interesting to see how the game companies utilize these more advanced features. Although the PSII supports 16:9 display, I have only heard a small handful of games actually utilize this feature. Side-scrolling games would benefit from this greatly, IMHO.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Just to be clear. The Xbox will only really do 480p as well but will upscale to 1080i. Wethere this will look much better is the questoin. It will be smoother probably but also maybe not as sharp.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The Xbox supports true HDTV-resolution framebuffers. You can set up a 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i framebuffer and the HD AV-pack will give those full resolutions.

It'll be interesting to see if any developers support it, though, since those resolutions require considerably more fillrate (and likely require UI changes as well).

One cool thing is that the HD AV-pack has an optical DD out, and developers can enable the Xbox's realtime DD encoder for full 5.1 positional sound, simply by placing the sound source and the listener in 3D space.

And since that's almost free (just some latency, and no real programming work), you're likely to see it in almost any game that uses 3D sound.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
On the advance AV pack, is it really a toslink cable? In all the pictures of the pack i've seen it looks like a Coax digital connection. However I would prefer a Fiber Optic cable.

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
There is a optical on the HD pack and the Advance AV pack.

------------------

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79:
Just to be clear. The Xbox will only really do 480p as well but will upscale to 1080i. Wethere this will look much better is the questoin. It will be smoother probably but also maybe not as sharp.
The Xbox is using a souped-up UMA version of NVIDIA's GeForce3 chip, which most certainly supports graphics at resolutions in excess of HDTV and gaming at resolutions better than 720p on a PC slower than the Xbox's P3-733 at +60fps (though there aren't any games that I'd play at 1920x1080--even GeForce3 becomes fillrate limited before that point). Like Dreamcast, they sell different A/V connectors that connect to the same port on the back-- here is a picture and description of the HD AV Pack at Microsoft's Xbox site. Since Microsoft is such a big DVI/HDCP supporter, it's interesting to note that it has HD analog component video outputs. Of course, DVI/HDCP would be useless at the introduction of Xbox, since it could only be used with one very expensive television.

Of course, none of the games is forced to support higher resolutions--it will be up to the individual developers to decide what the maximum resolution each game will support is (as is true of PC games). It will be interesting to see how this goes, since many of these developers have primarily developed PC games in the past (although most have done at least some console ports).

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks Mike, there is another thread about XBOX and HDTV. What do you know about the Progressive DVD player of the XBOX?

------------------

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
Thanks Mike, there is another thread about XBOX and HDTV. What do you know about the Progressive DVD player of the XBOX?
Nothing--I didn't even know that it was progressive scan. Certainly, they have the hardware necessary to make it a decent player, but do they have the motivation? I should think it would make a decent ancillary DVD deck for the family room, but I'd use something more purpose specific for home theater. Progressive scan processing is mixed bag--you might want to read this comparative review. Home Theater Magazine published a really excellent examination of progressive scan technology which outlined all of the mistakes that can be made in processing and listing which ones the players on the market at the time were making in (I think) their October 1998 issue, but it's not online anymore. Some of the same stuff is in the article I cited.

I'll look for the other HD Xbox thread.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.