AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my screen on rare ocassions. Let me first tell you what equipment I am using.

I have a Pioneer SD-532HD5 connected to a RCA DTC 100 using a Super VGA cable. The problem I am about to describe is also seen using the component hookup watching DVDs.

The problem is only noticable sometimes when viewing a pure black screen with white lettering or other white objects in the screen. The white seems to give off a white halo effect. It is hard to describe. You can almost call it a white haze maybe.

What is wierd is I just finished watching Space Cowboys that had some really dark screens of space with stars in the sky but I did not notice it then or at anytime at all during the movie.

The times I always notice it is the time when you switch channels and you temporarily get a black screen with the white lettering at the top of the screen. That's when I notice the white glowing or haze on the screen.

Maybe I have my color settings out of whack, I'm not sure. I tried setting it according to the Avia standards. I have my contrast at -15 and black level at -6. Maybe getting it ISFed will help. I don't know. Any suggestions will be very helpful. I just hope this isn't a sign of screen burn in. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif I did play Gran Turismo for a long period of time. I'm not gonna do that again!

Thanks in advance.

------------------

Mike the hockeynut

You had me at 'HDTV'

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stuff like that annoys me with my set, too (Toshiba 65H80). For example with Gran Turismo 3, when there is just a white square in the top left (when its loading) it has a "halo" around it and sort of illuminates the rest of the screen as well.

My understanding is that there are focus adjustments which fix this.

Can someone clear this up for us?

[This message has been edited by kurros (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kurros, it sounds like you have the same problem as me. It's not just around the white object on the screen. It illuminates other areas of the screen as well. I took some pictures of the problem, but I'm not too sure how well they will turn out. If they turn out good I will try and post them.

------------------

Mike the hockeynut

You had me at 'HDTV'

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Assuming this is an RPTV, this sounds like internal reflections in either the body of the set or in the CRT/lens assembles.

Some people have attacked the former by applying black material inside the TV. There is not much you can do about the latter.

Old RPTVs show this problem to an extreme degree. In this case the cause is a haze forming in the liquid cooling material used in the lens assembly.

Bottom line: try to ignore it.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC

·
Registered
809 Posts
This is called "white crush" and is the nature of the Pioneers. I wrote about this in a review a year or two ago.

I was not able to find the proper register to correct it, though it might exist. Personally I consider it is a major picture degradation issue. Read more about it in the next issue of The Perfect Vision (in a review) and how I cured it.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 09-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Larry and Gary. Gary, I look forward to your next issue. Are you referring to issue 39?

You mention that this is picture degradation. I have had the set for only 6 months. I did not notice this problem at first. Perhaps I just didn't notice it at first. Do you know if this something that would fall under warranty conditions or is this just 'normal' for all Pioneer sets and I just need to ignore like Larry suggests? Also, will it get worse over time? Sorry for all the questions. It just makes me nervous since I spent $3000.00 on the damn thing.

Thanks once again.

------------------

Mike the hockeynut

You had me at 'HDTV'

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Merson:
This is called "white crush" and is the nature of the Pioneers. I wrote about this in a review a year or two ago.

I was not able to find the proper register to correct it, though it might exist. Personally I consider it is a major picture degradation issue. Read more about it in the next issue of The Perfect Vision (in a review) and how I cured it.

[This message has been edited by Gary Merson (edited 09-16-2001).]
This is also a problem with front projection sets, as well, and is less related to the electronics of the projector than to optics. We're all essentially dealing with consumer grade optics with relatively poor internal coatings as compared to professional photographic optics. Also, some of the internal optical elements are acrylic rather than optical glass. Pure and simple, we're all dealing with the equivalent of lens flare generated by internal reflections between the elements. I also notice illumination of an area off to the sides of my screen caused by light reflecting internally off the side of the lens assembly area.

Bottom line folks...TV projection lenses aren't even remotely in the same league of optical quality as a Zeiss, Canon, Nikkor or Schneider photographic lens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.