AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but came up with mostly how to set up HA using MPC, or other 3rd party application, etc. In each of those cases, it was requiring non VMC applications to run the MKV file.

All I really would like to do is have the ability to run MKV files in VMC and have those files accelerated. Otherwise, I see that about 40-50% CPU utilization. No stutter or dropouts or anything, but I would like the extra horsepower for background things to run.

Thanks for any suggestions or links.

·
Registered
465 Posts
only 40-50%? You are lucky. I can't get mkv files using HA even with 3rd party apps, and without it, my poor E2160 is pegged, causing stuttering...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H board with an AMD 4850e overclocked to 2.9 GHz. So, I think my results are pretty typical for people in the same boat. I think your processor is clocked at 1.8 GHz. If so, maybe a processor upgrade is in order? Of course HA would be preferable.

Since it appears that I won't be getting many answers here, I'm just going to continue experimenting and reading other boards. I'm certain that my issue isn't unique--I just have to find the right search strings and forums and hopefully get lucky by stumbling upon the right setting or two.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting!

I've had a e2160 machine (tweaked to 3.2GHz) on a mobo with the G33 on-board graphics that has been playing mkv files in our bedroom in the past 5 months. No Problems at all! I use Media Player Classic.

I also recently built a new HTPC running the 4850e (not overclocked) and it plays just fine the 1080p and 720p mkv files.

Is any of your problems based on the fact that you are going through the media center?

I still don't know how to run mkv's directly from the media center.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I was just about to ask the same question until I found this thread. I try to use VMC for playing anything. I installed FFDSHow, CoreAVC, AC3Filter, Halli Splitter and configured properly so that no conflict happens when playing AVI, TS and MKV files. WHat I noticed is that when playing one of TS file which is H264 encoded with 1080p resolution, my CPU utilization is about 85% although everything is amooth. I started wondering whether HA of Nvidia video card can be utilized by FFDSHow as well as CoreAVC for H264 decoding.

My configuration is [email protected], Nvidia 7600GT(175.15 driver)

By the way, when I use PDVD8 for BD play back, the CPU utilization is about 40%. So I am sure that HA is used by PDVD8.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzi /forum/post/14004256

Interesting!

I've had a e2160 machine (tweaked to 3.2GHz) on a mobo with the G33 on-board graphics that has been playing mkv files in our bedroom in the past 5 months. No Problems at all! I use Media Player Classic.

I also recently built a new HTPC running the 4850e (not overclocked) and it plays just fine the 1080p and 720p mkv files.

Is any of your problems based on the fact that you are going through the media center?

I still don't know how to run mkv's directly from the media center.

I installed the CCCP codec pack and can play most anything through VMC. I didn't have to do anything special to get the MKV to be recognized and to play. I simply want HA in VMC.

As for the e2160, I think if the uP is at 3 Ghz or higher, there should be no problems playing HD content.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audball /forum/post/14004647

I'm in the same boat, but one thing I haven't tried is Cyberlink's H264 pack, which claims it works on Media Center.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/cyber...er_77_ENU.html

Also you need to make sure your mkv have been encoded properly to 4.1 profile or something for it. Most of the newer mkv's are properly encoded.

I'll have to try that then. I assume disable ffdshow and let the file be handled by the cyberlink codec. But, I'm not sure I want to that badly for $40.00.

If I get the PowerDVD Ultra 8, or maybe 7 (since I can find it cheap) would it have the Codecs? I was thinking about getting that software anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This method will work for any app uses directshow:

Goto the download page for Media Player Classic HomeCinema...

Download the Mpeg2DecFilter and MPCVideoDec filters for your OS. If you want .mkv support go ahead and grab the MatroskaMuxer and MatroskaSplitter as well (or any of the mkv splitters). (Make sure you get the right 32 or 64 bit version).

Extract or copy all the files to c:\\windows\\system32.

For each file run from a 'cmd' prompt: regsvr32.exe

Install the latest ffdshow (make SURE you disable x264 and mpeg2 support, so it doesn't try to use ffdshow for those codecs).

If it works you should see less than 10% utilization on most x264 720p videos, even with .mkv files and it's all open source. This was on a AMD 780g w/ a 4850 proc running Vista 32bit.

Tips:

Download the MPC-HC standalone player and try the file in there, this does NOT use the directshow installed (they are all built-in). This is great to see what performance and playback should be like.

If you are having problems with other codecs being chosen, change their merit (priority in Windows) with this http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...er_Manager.htm .

Roy

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker /forum/post/14006670

This method will work for any app uses directshow:

Goto the download page for Media Player Classic HomeCinema...

Download the Mpeg2DecFilter and MPCVideoDec filters for your OS. If you want .mkv support go ahead and grab the MatroskaMuxer and MatroskaSplitter as well (or any of the mkv splitters). (Make sure you get the right 32 or 64 bit version).

Extract or copy all the files to c:\\windows\\system32.

For each file run from a 'cmd' prompt: regsvr32.exe

Install the latest ffdshow (make SURE you disable x264 and mpeg2 support, so it doesn't try to use ffdshow for those codecs).

If it works you should see less than 10% utilization on most x264 720p videos, even with .mkv files and it's all open source. This was on a AMD 780g w/ a 4850 proc running Vista 32bit.

Tips:

Download the MPC-HC standalone player and try the file in there, this does NOT use the directshow installed (they are all built-in). This is great to see what performance and playback should be like.

If you are having problems with other codecs being chosen, change their merit (priority in Windows) with this http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...er_Manager.htm .

Roy

This would work from VMC then? That is, I wouldn't need to necessarily use MPC?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks, rwalker. I will try this tonight.

If this works, I really don't need CoreAVC for H264 decoding right? DO I still need AC3Filter or FFDshow for AC#/DTS decoding?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberedUp /forum/post/14006699

This would work from VMC then? That is, I wouldn't need to necessarily use MPC?

Nope. Apples and oranges. MPC and VMC are different programs.

Just my opinion, but leave well enough alone. If you think it's really important to get below 40-50%, use coreavc. VMC is just so easy to use for all but bluray disks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think that I am using CoreAVC since I disabled H264 codec in FFDSHow. I need to check tonight. By the way, the codec used by Media Player Classic HomeCinema supports DXVA which is only available for Nvidia 8/9xxx cards. I am using 7600GT. SO I am out of luck.

I am using PDVD8 for BD movies which is integrated into VMC my MyMovies. I try to use VMS for playing everything. This is for the easy of use for WOMEN (wife and daughters) in my house.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Here is what I found so far.

1) I disabled CoreAVC and FFDShow for H264 decoding. I have PDVD8 installed. When playing H264 encoded HD content, the ffdshow clearly shows that PDVD H264 encoder is used. HOwever the CPU utilizatio is 85%. I checked the property of the PDVD8 H264 encoder, DXVA is checked.

2) If I use PDVD to play H264 encoded BD movie at 20Mbps like National treasure 2, CPU utilization is only 40%.

Both cases use the same video decoder and I don't know why there is so much difference in CPU utilization.

Anyone can help that?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/14007066

Nope. Apples and oranges. MPC and VMC are different programs.

Just my opinion, but leave well enough alone. If you think it's really important to get below 40-50%, use coreavc. VMC is just so easy to use for all but bluray disks.

I agree. That's why whatever solution I use must go through VMC. I'll give up the CPU cycles for ease of use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The actual player MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - HomeCinema) was only referenced for testing. The codecs are built-in so you don't have to worry about merit or anything to test playback.

Installing the codecs will give you sub 10% playback on pretty much any H264 content in any directshow based player like VMC (Vista Media Center). I currently use GBPVR and it works great.

For the audio playback, I use AC3Filter (since ffdshow has problems with DTS). Then use ffdshow for every other video/audio codec like divx, AAC, etc..

Roy

·
Registered
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreydeng /forum/post/14008235

Here is what I found so far.

1) I disabled CoreAVC and FFDShow for H264 decoding. I have PDVD8 installed. When playing H264 encoded HD content, the ffdshow clearly shows that PDVD H264 encoder is used. HOwever the CPU utilizatio is 85%. I checked the property of the PDVD8 H264 encoder, DXVA is checked.

2) If I use PDVD to play H264 encoded BD movie at 20Mbps like National treasure 2, CPU utilization is only 40%.

Both cases use the same video decoder and I don't know why there is so much difference in CPU utilization.

Anyone can help that?

1) What player are you using? How do you know it's using PDVD for decoding?

2) What happens to CPU usage when you use PDVD Player on an MKV file?

·
Registered
912 Posts
One thing that you alway must keep in mind when dealing with MKV files is that NOT ALL of them can make use of HA. The H264 video stream contained in the mkv file has to be encoded using HA friendly specs the big one being the number of reference frames used must be 3 or less. The bulk of the mkv files found on the net (especially older 1080p ones) are NOT encoded this way. These mkv files must be re-encoded to HA specs if you want them to work with HA.

·
Registered
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor /forum/post/14013614

One thing that you alway must keep in mind when dealing with MKV files is that NOT ALL of them can make use of HA. The H264 video stream contained in the mkv file has to be encoded using HA friendly specs the big one being the number of reference frames used must be 3 or less. The bulk of the mkv files found on the net (especially older 1080p ones) are NOT encoded this way. These mkv files must be re-encoded to HA specs if you want them to work with HA.

Do you, or anyone else have a link to a sample HA compliant h264 .MKV clip?

I'm aware of the need of a specific encoding process for the file to be HA, but I don't know how to check whether or not the files I hold meet that.

Thanks,

CFC

1 - 20 of 45 Posts