AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Harry Potter 3 going to be the next HDDVD?

Ok I must be seeing things but when I searched Amazon for WMVHD it showed all of the IMAX movies, The T2 disc, and THE NEW HARRY POTTER MOVIE! Is that really going to be a WMVHD DVD? I found no indication of this in the description but you never know. This would be awesome if it is true. I will buy this in a heart beat if it is true HD. These movies would be perfect for HD. Anyone else heard anything about this DVD?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...262790-5627946

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I guess I'm a schmutz, but I wasn't aware that you could get HD transfers on DVD.

T2 is the only "real" movie available this way?

·
Registered
723 Posts
PAP:

Yep. MS's WMV9 codec allows for compressing a full 720p or 1080p HD movie on a conventional DVD disk. It is an impressive codec. We are all salivating for something other than IMAX stuff. T2 is one of the few "regular" movies that has been transfered to WMV9 DVD but has a "phone home" DRM implementation that is cumbersome if not annoying and also requires the installation of "Interactual". I"ve passed on it for this reason.

Harry Potter??? Got to be some sort of search error but one can dream. I'll stay tuned.

DFA

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
The disk info says nothing about a WMV HD version.
So why does it show up under the WMVHD search? Has anyone else tried the search on Amazon? Am I just seeing things?

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
I can't find any info on why it would be in the list, but maybe it's because the studio is Warner Home Video. Why just Azkaban out of all the Warner titles, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It also pays to look at the diffferent international Amazon stores. Different countries have different titles available in WMV-HD.

amazon.de has Tomb Raider "The cradle of life" in WMV-HD with a german language track

Taxi 3 got released in France in WMV-HD but you can't find it on Amazon.fr

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I somehow doubt it, but if true it'd be the first commercial WMV-HD I'd buy. I preferred the first Harry Potter movie as a film, since I prefer larger, more expansive stories, and since it was more faithful to the excellent book. But, the third film definitely had its charm, and my young cousins all have crushes on Hermione and love to watch HP when they come over, so it'd be worth the purchase.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's interesting. When I use the search word "wmvhd" on Amazon.com it also comes up with "Super Speedway - The Mach II Special Edition (Large Format)" DVD in addition to Harry Potter. The DVD release date was September 18, 2001 so I'm guessing there is something wrong with Amazon's search engine.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
I think it is a bug in the Amazon search engine. If you read the descriptions of the other legitimate WMV-HD titles, you will notice that they are listed as 2 disc sets, and the second disc is clearly described as containing the WMV-HD version. There is no such description in the Harry Potter title. I have no idea why the search engine listed this title.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
The reason is that there isn't a big rush of moviews in other regions either. The recent HD DVD summit indicated, that despite inclusion of VC-1, from the renamed VC-9, from the renamed WMV-HD codec, discs will NOT play on HD DVD players so this is an interim "fun" format at best.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht
The reason is that there isn't a big rush of moviews in other regions either. The recent HD DVD summit indicated, that despite inclusion of VC-1, from the renamed VC-9, from the renamed WMV-HD codec, discs will NOT play on HD DVD players so this is an interim "fun" format at best.
Understood. But why not also release a few of them in the US? What are they gaining by only releasing them in other countries?

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe they released them in France because they know that most of the people who would want to try to copy these discs speak english. So if the Disc doesn't have any english audio maybe no one would want to copy it. I think they forgot about the fact that no one would want to buy it either. Is it possible that Microsoft has sunk so much money into the wmv format only to have it fail because the movie industry didn't really embrace it?

Why does the movie industry keep on putting out high quality .mpg2 DVDs that can be copied so easily. I would think that they would start making all of the .mpg2 DVDs have a horrible transfer or make them only 4:3 format with stereo sound. Then they could package the wmv HD disc in there with the phone home DRM. That way all of the people who really don't care about the picture quality or don't know the difference would be satisfied with the regular DVD. Then the people who want the full quality would have to purchase something that could play the wmv disc. That way they put out one DVD that everyone can watch but no one would bother to copy and then one disc that has perfect quality but no one can copy it. Right now they are putting out so many DVDs in high quality .MPG2 with DTS that no one sees the need to upgrade to play the wmv discs. Heck with ffdshow you can make the regular DVDs look very close to the wmv HD discs. Where is the incentive to upgrade?

·
Registered
112 Posts
When it comes to quality, regular DVDs don't even come close to the quality of a WMVHD DVD when viewed on a large screen LCD TV. That was the incentive for me to upgrade.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefNZ
When it comes to quality, regular DVDs don't even come close to the quality of a WMVHD DVD when viewed on a large screen LCD TV. That was the incentive for me to upgrade.
Have you tried Ffdshow?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.