AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my HTPC for HD playback at the beginning of he year. I then added an xbox HD DVD drive the first week of february. I had an HD-A3 before that. Then I added a BD drive (the asus) in the first week of April.

I have a number of BD exclusives, but I am finding myself preferring the HD DVD versions if given the choice. I rip my collection (only the good ones I buy and am going to keep) and load it on a 3TB+ media server for convenient playback and skip all the hubub... maybe keep a few extras on a folder I have call "Extras".

I have found HD DVD much easier to rip and work and this EVOremux program is so easy to use. I am finding the easiest thing to do is just rip, strip and keep the main feature in EVO with 1-2 english tracks and a commentary if available. They usually only take about 13-18gb as opposed to my BDs which take more and can be a pain to piece back together. I could always remake it into a BD compatible one anyway.

I was just curious what everyone else is finding.

DO NOT TAKE THIS AS A BLURAY ASSAULT. I like BDs alot, but just find the HD DVDs easier to work with in my application. For all the format arguing, I think the quality looks the same to me on my 94" screen.

They tend to cost less... but not always. Hard to find ones are still pricier on HD DVD like twister and I am legend.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts

Quote:
Then I added a BD drive (the asus) in the first week of April.

Why didn't you get the LG combo HD DVD - BD drive for your PC? They are $199.00 at Fry's and play both HD DVD and BD flawlessly. Since I only play the actual discs and don't do any ripping, HD DVD or BD are equally easy to use so I don't have a preference for either.

Vern

·
Registered
465 Posts
Initially, I actually had the opposite experience, with my HD-DVDs giving me headaches on sync, using HA, etc. But I think I have all that worked out, and now I rip both without a problem. Unfortunately, this discussion is largely theoretical, as HD-DVD is gone
and is only going to get harder and harder to find.

I've seen the LG Combo drive as cheap as $160 (I paid a little more for mine), but I've also seen the Lite-On BR drive for $110, so why spend the money on the LG if you already have a HD-DVD drive?

P.S. Don't be such a wuss...
Why not a Bluray assault? BR sucks, and we as consumers are worse off that it won out over HD-DVD.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias /forum/post/14183927

Why didn't you get the LG combo HD DVD - BD drive for your PC? They are $199.00 at Fry's and play both HD DVD and BD flawlessly. Since I only play the actual discs and don't do any ripping, HD DVD or BD are equally easy to use so I don't have a preference for either.

Vern

I had picked up an xbox 360 for $50 with 10 movies off ebay during the panic. I picked up the asus for $130. I considered the LG at the time, but did not see the need as I already had the xbox drive.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/14184819

What's the point of this thread, nothing new is getting released on HD DVD. There is no choice anymore.

Well, I wouldn't call it dead. There are a good deal of worthy titles on the format. 460 last I checked. and you can still rent them too off Bb.

Many sites are liquidating their for 5.99-9.99 so it is still relevant.

Granted once I pick up the 100+ that I went, I will be solely bluray.... but until that time......

IMO, the majority of the older movies rereleased were the motivator for me. There are only so many good movies released per year.

Of course, new releases will be BD from here on out...... hopefully

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I tend to agree with Stanger. But if you already have a drive for each, no problem. Buy the HD DVD if you can find it for a better price, its not like you'll get a free replacement of either format if you break a disc.

The only issue going forward would be the lack of replacement drives if the one you have goes bad. Assuming the availability of HD DVD drives would dry up quickly if it hasn't already.

-Suntan

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/14185252

I tend to agree with Stanger. But if you already have a drive for each, no problem. Buy the HD DVD if you can find it for a better price, its not like you'll get a free replacement of either format if you break a disc.

The only issue going forward would be the lack of replacement drives if the one you have goes bad. Assuming the availability of HD DVD drives would dry up quickly if it hasn't already.

-Suntan

There are so many out there it is ridiculous, but it doesn't matter anymore once you put them in your media server HDDs.

·
Registered
7,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/14190571

There are so many out there it is ridiculous, but it doesn't matter anymore once you put them in your media server HDDs.

Well jeeze, if you just wanted to disagree with everyone's comments, why did you ask for them in the first place?

-Suntan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts