AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the looks of my market, what I get is simulcast analog FM with HD commercials.

Is programming content supposed to improve also??

I like adopting new technologies, (I've got 3 digital TVs and sat radios in two cars), but I've never heard HD broadcast radio.

Is it worth it??

·
Registered
137 Posts
On the FM band the HD-1 program will be a simulcast of the analog program for that station. If the station is broadcasting HD-2 or HD-3 streams, they will be alternate programs available only with an HD radio. This is called multicasting. Check with your local stations to see whether they are multicasting, and what formats they are programming on the multicast streams.

Even on the HD-1 program, when the buffer fills and the HD kicks in the improvement in dynamic range and imaging is apparent. I can't pick up any HD signals on the AM band, so I can't comment on that.

Whether these features are worth it to you depends on your taste, your available stations, and, of course, your budget. My favorite station is broadcasting HD-2 and HD-3 programs, so I'm delighted with my purchase.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The JVC KD-HDR1 car stereo is very much worth its cost. The HD2 channels give me a much wider selection of programming types than the basic HD1 (duplicates of the analog, but usually better quality). HD2 channels are also commercial-free.

AM HD sounds quite a bit better than analog (unless you have a super-hi-fi AM analog receiver).

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
In my market Philadelphia area there are plenty of HD2 channels with other content that are commercial free (for now)!

The sound quality is really good and when I traveled to the NY market I found a few HD3 streams.

Do a search on HD radio to find out what is available in your market!

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith /forum/post/0

3 streams? Does this mean 32Kb/s audio on each?

Well Bob, The subcarriers for HD Radio can be broken up in any manner the station sees neccessary. An example of this is that NPR plans on offering classical on one station, jazz on another, a reading service for the visual impared and one other station for I think news or something.

They have determined that they will broadcast higher bandwidth on the 2 music stations, us a mere I think 12KB/s on their reading servic and about the same on the other additional station.

That leaves 36KB/s for each of the audio stations. If compressed properly, you will not notice the lack of quality on the 2 music stations, and the talk will be good enough to suffer through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.