AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I have no idea what HD radio is - as I'm new to anything that's not FM on the portable stereo in the home or FM on the car radio! It mst be 20 years since I chanegd my tuner.

What is HD radio and how does it differ from FM / Sirius / XM etc?

Now that I have my shiny new receiver (Yamaha RX-V3900) capable of 'Internet radio', I wonder whether I should go to the expense of fitting an antenna for FM and/or HD radio in my home?

Is it worth getting a radio antenna when some receivers like mine have internet radio capability?

Or can I get by with an indoor antenna or some sort?

·
Registered
137 Posts
OK, I see that your receiver is capable of decoding HD radio. Now write down the call letters of your favorite stations and go to the iBiquity website and click on "find a station" to see if your stations are broadcasting in HD. If your stations are coming in strong enough with your current antenna, an indicator on your receiver should show HD after a few seconds. If the indicator does not show up, or if it goes on and off, you may need a better FM antenna, as I replied to you on the HDTV thread. If your stations are broadcasting HD-2 or HD-3 programs, these are "extra" stations that you can only get with a lock on HD. Remember, the FM band is in the low VHF, next to TV channel 6, so VHF rabbit ears may prove adequate before investing in a roof antenna. Go ahead and play with it, as you already have the receiver and the reception is free!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picspop /forum/post/17009083

OK, I see that your receiver is capable of decoding HD radio. Now write down the call letters of your favorite stations and go to the iBiquity website and click on "find a station" to see if your stations are broadcasting in HD. If your stations are coming in strong enough with your current antenna, an indicator on your receiver should show HD after a few seconds. If the indicator does not show up, or if it goes on and off, you may need a better FM antenna, as I replied to you on the HDTV thread. If your stations are broadcasting HD-2 or HD-3 programs, these are "extra" stations that you can only get with a lock on HD. Remember, the FM band is in the low VHF, next to TV channel 6, so VHF rabbit ears may prove adequate before investing in a roof antenna. Go ahead and play with it, as you already have the receiver and the reception is free!

Thanks Picspop, I haven't set up the radio yet as I don't have any antenna and the receiver was only purchased a couple of days ago so i'm still in the process of setting it up ?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Unless your new receiver is in a basement or in a room with metal walls, or you are 40 miles from the nearest city, you will probably pick up some HD stations with an ordinary piece of wire as an antenna (just to get started). The next step is to try your regular TV antenna (if you use one) on the Yamaha.

Regarding your basic question, "Is HD Radio worth the effort?", the answer is "Yes".

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
It depends if it's worth the effort. You may not like any of the extra stations. The sound improvement may not be large enough or your favorite stations may be wrecking their HD Radio audio before it even reaches the transmitter. You may be getting decent analog reception that's good enough for you.

In any case HD Radio is the best audio you can receive through the air these days.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I really hope so I am invested in it via the car and home.

But I see a negative trend in the availability as an option in most new cars.

Also since many stations have invested in new transmitters it should be around.

BTW I do enjoy it in my area.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
In lame backwards markets like Bakersfield, no, it's not worth the effort, unless you like NPR (I don't) or for future proofing in case the FCC eventually eliminates analog radio. In a good market, yes, it is worth the effort. The only time I ever get to experience HD FM is on trips to Fresno.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Desert Hawk, you may have a good point there. On a couple of road trips from the San Francisco Bay area to Fresno, the biggest difference I noticed was how fewer HD stations had HD2 channels in Fresno and the Stockton/Modesto area as opposed to the Bay Area, where nearly all of them use HD2.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV /forum/post/17011870

Unless your new receiver is in a basement or in a room with metal walls, or you are 40 miles from the nearest city, you will probably pick up some HD stations with an ordinary piece of wire as an antenna (just to get started). The next step is to try your regular TV antenna (if you use one) on the Yamaha.

Regarding your basic question, "Is HD Radio worth the effort?", the answer is "Yes".

Actually, my receiver IS in the basement where I'm now in the process of setting up my first HT set-up. I don't have a TV antenna either...the guys doing the install could fit an antenna with relavively little effort?

BTW, can the Tv antenna be used to pick up radio? I thought that the radio antenna was different - albeit, from what i've been told here, HD signals can be received by the same analog antenna for radio and tv. But i wasn't aware that the SAME antenna could pick up BOTH tv and radio? Is that right?

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Yeah, get yourself a Winegard CA 8800 FM Band Seperator. Combo VHF/UHF antennas are generally good for FM, those that incorporate VHF Low elements are generally better than those which use VHF High only. However VHF High elements on those Ch7-51 antennas max out at about a 1/4 wave @ FM frequencies, so they are usuable.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtybutnice /forum/post/17019153

BTW, can the Tv antenna be used to pick up radio? I thought that the radio antenna was different - albeit, from what i've been told here, HD signals can be received by the same analog antenna for radio and tv. But i wasn't aware that the SAME antenna could pick up BOTH tv and radio? Is that right?

Ideally, a dedicated FM radio antenna would work better than an average TV antenna; the idea was for a quick hookup to see what you can receive. Some outdoor TV antennas are made to block the FM band, or can be adjusted to do so.

Most outdoor VHF/UHF TV antennas can easily pick up FM as well. The FM radio band (as well as the aircraft-radio band and one "police radio"/ham band) is between TV channels 6 and 7.

·
Super Moderator
18,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space /forum/post/17293182

If HD radio is so great why can't I find a 2.0 stereo receiver with HD radio to purchase?

Same reason my receiver handles component and not HDMI. Wasn't that much of a demand for HDMI when I bought it. Get a receiver and add something such as Insignia's $99 tuner. Never had a receiver with a decent built-in radio, anyway. External tuners have always been better in my experience.

Here's one that's not $700, but it's also a little more advanced than 2.0: http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/yamaha...ver/15240.aspx

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchen_space /forum/post/17296106

Yikes, $900 smackers for HD radio. The 100W 2.0 stereo receivers I was looking at (like the Onkyo) are around $250 -$300 - so a $700 to $600 price tag for HD radio? No, thanks.

I just bought an Onkyo stereo receiver (TX-8555, I think). It does the job I need it to: amplify sound for my stereo speakers. The AM/FM tuner inside it is also pretty decent. I pick up most AM/FM stations in the Atlanta area from inside my apartment when my other receiver (more expensive) had trouble.

I looked at the Denon for two reasons: HD Radio and the 2-line display which I could see useful for something like HD or XM radio. Then I thought about it:

- I had HD Radio in my car and when I got a new car I didn't think HD radio was worth fooling with again. Had it come with the aftermarket stereo that I purchased it would have been ok but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

- I already have a PNP XM Radio which I can (and do) just plug into the back of the Onkyo. It works and it's inexpensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts