AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Samsung S27A950 and its on the way.

In my current configuration, I have a Psyclone HDMI switch box that takes in my PC, Xbox 360, and a PS3. I think the HDMI switcher is HDMI 1.3.

Will I still be able to use my switcher for routing 3D content?

If not, what are the recommendations?

·
Registered
29,366 Posts
3D requires HDMI 1.4. Do you have a receiver with HDMI 1.4 that you can use to switch the sources instead?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
There are only 2 kinds of HDMI cables, High speed and Standard. ALL 1.4 are High speed, Some 1.3 are high speed. I've been using a high speed 1.3 cable since last November.

Quote from Monoprice - Please note, that a High Speed cables essentially delivers all the performance enhancements promised by 1.4 except Ethernet. So unless you have a devices that specifically needs Ethernet over HDMI capability, any HDMI 1.3, category 2 cable you purchased previously will not need to be replaced.

Source - http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=help&idx=2

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/20810960

The PS3 with it's HDMI 1.3 TX chip does support 3D Blu-ray. But it does not support 3D video and HD Audio (TrueHD & DTS-MA). It only supports 3D video and Digital Audio (DD 5.1/DTS 5.1)

It supports BD-J and DTS-HD Master Audio along with DTS-HD High Resolution audio in 3D now according to the 3.70 release notes.

No mention of TrueHD support though.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/20810960

The PS3 with it's HDMI 1.3 TX chip does support 3D Blu-ray. But it does not support 3D video and HD Audio (TrueHD & DTS-MA). It only supports 3D video and Digital Audio (DD 5.1/DTS 5.1)

Not any longer.... sony just pissed all over HDMI 1.4 with its 3.7 fw update.

·
Registered
675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 /forum/post/20811080

There are only 2 kinds of HDMI cables, High speed and Standard. ALL 1.4 are High speed, Some 1.3 are high speed. I've been using a high speed 1.3 cable since last November.

Quote from Monoprice - Please note, that a High Speed cables essentially delivers all the performance enhancements promised by 1.4 except Ethernet. So unless you have a devices that specifically needs Ethernet over HDMI capability, any HDMI 1.3, category 2 cable you purchased previously will not need to be replaced.

Source - http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=help&idx=2

Technically there is no such thing as an HDMI 1.4 cable - HDMI LLC does not allow any cable to be labeled with version numbers. There are only Standard Speed, High Speed, Standard Speed with Ethernet and High Speed with Ethernet and automotive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI . Continuing to call a cable by version numbers only confuses people because they begin to look for cables labeled with version numbers in stores and HDMI LLC does not allow them to be labeled this way.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVoodo /forum/post/20847681

I am using 1.3 cables from my oppo 93 and PS3 to a Panasonic vt30. 3d works fine. Sales guy told me to avoid the hype and cost of the new cables.

Read the previous posts: There is no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

The only types, as specified by hdmi.org, are:

Standard HDMI Cable

Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Standard Automotive HDMI Cable

High Speed HDMI Cable

High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

The key to success in viewing 3d is speed/bandwidth, and the main difference between the standard & high speed is simply the ability to pass the spec tests. Your "1.3 cables" are able to pass the 3d signal due to length, manufacturing quality or other variables.

·
Registered
19,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard /forum/post/20847707

Read the previous posts: There is no such thing as a 1.3 or 1.4 cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

The only types, as specified by hdmi.org, are:

Standard HDMI Cable

Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet

Standard Automotive HDMI Cable

High Speed HDMI Cable

High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet

The key to success in viewing 3d is speed/bandwidth, and the main difference between the standard & high speed is simply the ability to pass the spec tests. Your "1.3 cables" are able to pass the 3d signal due to length, manufacturing quality or other variables.

thebard is correct. Starting in January 2012, HDMI Licensing, LLC has asked all retailers/manufacturers to stop using version numbers and use the definitions listed above. Most of us will only be interested in High Speed HDMI for our needs. The specs currently meet and exceed any devices that are commercially available. When you buy your cables make sure that you buy cables that come with a certification, or that the certification is available to you, so that you know that the cable meets the specs that are set by HDMI Licensing, LLC. If you buy your cable from a reputable dealer who offers the certification you'll be ok, and you don't need to spend a ton of money (like the "M" brand).

HDMI High Speed:

Deep Color

xvYCC Color

Dolby Digital and DTS

DTS-HD Master Audio (lossless)

Dolby TrueHD (lossless)

ARC (Audio Return Channel)

4K, 1440p, 1080i/p, 720p, 480i/p

3D

HDCP Compliant

340Mhz or up to 10.2Gbps

Ethernet (optional)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20848473

Starting in January 2012...

That is for everything except cables. Version numbers on cables have been prohibited for quite some time already. Old stock was excepted. New stock was prohibited from very near the time of release of the 1.4 specification.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.