AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed before (Please point me to the thread if a single thread exists) and I have seen some comments but no single discussion thread of this subject.

I recently got a Samsung 941. Macroblocking with my display is almost impossible to see so this is really not an issue for me. After applying the HDCP hack, I am watching 720P through the component connection. What are other users experiences using both types of connections with this or other players? I do not know if it is worth spending the extra money. All things being equal, HDMI should be best, but reality and theory often diverge and I have seen varing opinions in this forum.

I apologize if this has been asked before.

Lain

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
It depends. It depends on your specific display, and on your specific DVD player. With a fixed pixel display that keeps the DVI/HDMI signal digital (such as Samsung DLPs), yes, an upscaling player that sends your display's native resolution digitally over DVI/HDMI should outperform component output. But, there are other factors, such as some low-end upscaling players using mediocre deintalacers/scalers, some displays converting the digital HDMI signal to analog, etc,etc. The only way to know with your specific equipment is to give it a try. As an aside, if you have MB with your Sammy DVD player, then you should go with a non-Faroudja player for optimal PQ (such as Sony, Pioneer 59ai, etc).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me clarify the macroblocking issue. When I say slightly noticable that was an overstatement. When I first got the 941 I noticed a few scenes that has very slight problems. By adjusting the brightness down 1 notch (on a scale of -30 to +30) the problems are completely gone. I would make the argument that my projector was set up improperly. It is hard to tell since this DVD player will not pass BTB (at least without a firmware upgrade) but looking at test patterns confirms my statement

As far as the original question. I understand your points. I have a Sharp DT400 as a display device, and I do not know if HDMI is converted to analog internally but I doubt it. As far the the deinterlacing/scalar in the dvd player (Faroudja) vs the one in the projector (?????), my less than scientific test were that upconverting with the Faroudja was slightly superior and more detailed than the PJ. I completly agree that there are too many variables to generalize, and I need to do my own test to know for sure. Really all I am trying to do is get a flavor from various users as to their experiences before making the investment in 20 ft of cable at a fairly high price to run the test you are suggesting.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I believe macro bocking is more evident over HDMI?

Regardless, If you look through either the big 941 thread, or the big upconverting DVD thread - I believe the 941 has some issues with Blacker than Black over HDMI.

If you are using a DLP or LCD display however, that might not even matter.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I've upconverted over hdmi and component and did not really notice the difference. The only thing is that I upconverted over component to a CRT direct view set and upconverted over HDMI to a lcd rp set. I can't upconvert over hdmi to my directview because the set doesn't have an hdmi set. I would have to check and see if there really is any difference between component and hdmi on my lcd rp though. I personally think that they designed the player to upconvert over hdmi and keep the signal digital until displayed so I chose hdmi to be displayed on my lcd rp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.