AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the 4/29/03 Celtics @ Indiana game last night I noticed a cameraman on the floor, during a timeout, wearing an HDNet t-shirt. I wasn't aware that HDNet was involved in these broadcasts. Anyone know for certain?

Maybe Mark Cuban will be able to recover some of his money from the NBA fines he's had to pay.:p .

·
Registered
30 Posts
i clearly noticed it as well...i also think the nbatv games have looked much better than the final four that had artifacting probs with any fast movement.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think they are using ASCN's HD trucks. Earlier this year they were showing a close-up of the announcers and you could see some type of silver box laying on the table that appeared to have the ASCN logo on it.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
NBA has used trucks provided by ASCN (that one is now owned by NEP) as well as All Mobile Video and Core Digital. Last nights game in New Jersey was the first show for the newest HDTV truck from National Mobile Television (soon to be used for ESPN-HD.)

There are a surprising number of new HD trucks out there.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
hphase,

So I take it this is the same $10 million NMT truck with 22 Thomson Grass Valley LDK Worldcam cameras that is to be used for Monday Night Football?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hphase
NBA has used trucks provided by ASCN (that one is now owned by NEP) as well as All Mobile Video and Core Digital. Last nights game in New Jersey was the first show for the newest HDTV truck from National Mobile Television (soon to be used for ESPN-HD.)

There are a surprising number of new HD trucks out there.

I know one thing, the quality of yesterdays games were much better. I wonder if it had to do with the newer equipment? The first game was hard to see the full quality since it was still daylight, however about half way into the 2nd game, it was clear to see that the quality is about as good as it gets with my HD equipment.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsmit32

During the 4/29/03 Celtics @ Indiana game last night I noticed a cameraman on the floor, during a timeout, wearing an HDNet t-shirt.

Yep, saw and wondered the same here too.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
So I take it this is the same $10 million NMT truck with 22 Thomson Grass Valley LDK Worldcam cameras that is to be used for Monday Night Football?
Yup, but they didn't use 22 cameras (thank God!) I also forgot that the new Comcast Sports Net truck was used for some games, too.

My take on why the games looked different is actually a combination of things:

1) Video Compression vendor (different equipment and/or software versions were used on these games.)

2) Video engineering style (this can also affect how the compression system looks/works.)

3) Equipment age/type (I think is the least important factor, even though different brands of cameras were used -- even different HD scanning standards! 720p and 1080i)

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
3) Equipment age/type (I think is the least important factor, even though different brands of cameras were used -- even different HD scanning standards! 720p and 1080i)
NBA TV is shot at 1080i. All new HD trucks can do 1080i or 720p depanding on what the customer wants.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
There was an NBA-TV game in Seattle that was shot in 720p. It was eventually converted to 1080i.

To say that all new HD trucks can do 1080/720 may be a bit of a reach. That implies that only dual format equipment is being purchased. I think it IS safe to say that any truck that can do 720p can also do 1080i. I don't think you can say that the converse is true.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Quote:
There was an NBA-TV game in Seattle that was shot in 720p. It was eventually converted to 1080i.

To say that all new HD trucks can do 1080/720 may be a bit of a reach. That implies that only dual format equipment is being purchased. I think it IS safe to say that any truck that can do 720p can also do 1080i. I don't think you can say that the converse is true.
I wonder if this had anything to do with why some of the shots looked soft, or less detailed as if it looked like the signal came from a WS SD camera that was upconverted to 1080i.

I wonder!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Quote:
To say that all new HD trucks can do 1080/720 may be a bit of a reach.
No reach here. I'm pretty sure any new HD trucks being built will be both 720p/1080i compatible, as are the 3 new trucks that ABC & ESPN are using.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'm still not reaching yet.

It's no secret that many of the new trucks being built are being built with ESPN in mind. That means 720p. There really are a lot of HD trucks out there now, and I don't know how many more the market can take right now. In the days when the networks built and ran their own trucks, they could build what they needed. Nowadays the big networks rent their trucks from outside companies. As I suggested before, these companies are not going to build a 720p-only truck. They have to be dual format to serve the rest of the market, which is mostly 1080i. The original MNF truck was built by Panasonic for ABC and was 720p only. Other companies like HDNet and Comcast SportsNet (which just rolled out a brand new truck a few months ago) built their own trucks to their format, 1080i.

Just as NBA-TV used a 720p truck for their game, there is nothing stopping an ESPN or someone like them from taking a 1080i feed. Unless they are 720p zealots, but even they would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I'm trying not to start a 1080i vs. 720p discussion here. I'm just not sure that everyone is going to build dual-format trucks. That's all.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Ok, I'll look up the proof.

·
Registered
45,618 Posts
Here's the info on the NEP truck, see the brief for "03.27.03

NEP Shines on Oscar® Night"

Note the reference: “The multi-format capabilities of the Grass Valley equipment were crucial for handling the simulcast requirements for the ceremonies,†said George Hoover, senior vice president of operations and engineering for NEP Supershooters

Quote:
I'm just not sure that everyone is going to build dual-format trucks. That's all.
Ok, I'll stop sandbagging, this has all been covered before. I am sure all the new HD trucks are multistandard, HD, SD, ED, interlaced, progressive, whatever. Honest.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So why was there a big HDNet logo on the camera the floor cameraman had during the game? No one's answered that yet. "Just a coincidence" What's that mean?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.