AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping my brother in law put together a theater and I was trying to recommend a screen. He's going to desk mount so I thought I'd mention High Power to him (I have DaLite HCCV myself). But when I went to check the prices of the raw material, it says that the HCCV is about $5/sf and the High Power is $15/sf. Is that right? I had no idea it was so much more expensive. I thought the HCCV would have been more. I guess I just never heard anyone mention here how much more expensive it was. Did I just find a bad dealer? :confused:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Jacksonian,

Check out the prices of a Model B or if your screen is wider than 92" the model C. You will save a bundle buying a pull down screen and cutting the material off of it.

Bomber

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
yes price 4:3 screens. sometimes even the portables are cheaper

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Yes its' true. Buying a basic manual screen with Hi Power, and then cutting it out is less money then buying the Hi Power raw. Why? Haven't been able to figure that one out myself, but it's true. You'd save about 1/2 the money that way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that makes absolutely no sense. But thanks for the info! I only wish I'd figured this out sooner. I just had my other friend buy the raw material HCCV for a screen that he made. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacksonian
Wow, that makes absolutely no sense.
The reason that the High Power material is more expensive than getting a pull-down with the same amount of material is just the difference between home theater products and business products. Not many businesses buy raw material and so Da-Lite can charge prices that are appropriate for the HT market where volumes are lower but margins on each sale are higher. For the business market Da-Lite is forced to go with lower margins on each sale to maximize their return, but they make it up on nice volumes. If they priced their pull-down High Power screens like HT models they would probably get beat handily in the business market by Draper and others.

--Darin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.