AVS Forum banner

Is House of Flying Daggers THAT terrible?

9K views 73 replies 50 participants last post by  raoul_duke 
My HOFD story.

On a Sunday last June, I saw POTO in HD DVD. I thought, well, Blu-ray will be good, but can it really be any better than this?

On the following Thursday night, I saw a good part of HOFD. I was physically ill and disoriented. The PQ was TERRIBLE. I could not believe that Sony would present such quality in their Blu-ray launch titles.

I went to a video store and rented HOFD and took it home to check out the DVD against my memory. In some ways, the DVD actually looked better I thought. It was more consistent.

It was some weeks before I saw the Samsung demo disk and realized that Blu-ray was probably not the problem. It was about two months before the Warners disks confirmed that Blu-ray (and the Samsung player) was capable of good results.

For many people, this was a defining moment in the format war. I think that a lot of the "better PQ for HD DVD" statements we hear today come from those early Sony titles.

To be fair, I am planning on renting the title and checking it out on my own system again. I suspect that my reaction was colored by the fact that I was really expecting a demonstration piece and got something else. I also think that many of these issues are actually about the source material rather than the transfer, encode, or format.

But it was a very poor beginning to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.