AVS Forum banner

Is House of Flying Daggers THAT terrible?

9K views 73 replies 50 participants last post by  raoul_duke 
It is definitely better than the DVD. It is soft and there is noise in some areas as well as contrast issues. Overall, it's the best version of the film you can own. If you can find it for $12 or so (or through the Best Buy deal) I think it's worth it.

There are a few cuts throughout the movie, but the big one that someone in this thread mentioned is: (spoiler free) a certain character pulls out a dagger and a huge stream of blood pours out, i mean huge like blood is coming from a water hose. In the US cut the blood is edited out.

There are also some other very small cuts due to to violence/blood but these are VERY minor, as in it really is no big deal at all. Then finally, a certain brief scene with dialog near the end of the movie was taken out completely, but by all accounts this one was done by the director himself because it was totally unneccessary (I agree), and it wasn't even shown in US theaters with this scene in it.

Now, with all that said, I do really hate it when movies are edited/cencored to make a certain rating. However, I own the original cut of the movie on DVD and I own the Blu-ray version. Whenever I sit down to re-watch this film, I most definetly watch the Blu-ray version because none of the cuts really harm the film. It sucks to edit a movie, but in this case it doesn't hurt the film at all. Others may disagree of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 /forum/post/0

I haven't seen the BD version, but the R3 2-disc Edko dts version was pretty solid; the 6.1 dts sound is incredible.

I have the Edko version of the DVD, it is probably the best DVD version and it pales in comparison to the Blu-ray disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/0

I have also downloaded the trailers off of the PS store onto my PS3 and they looked like crap there too, almost half the quality of the Starz broadcast.

The trailer from the PS3 store is crap, but the Blu-ray is not as bad. The biggest issue with the Blu-ray version is that it is soft. However, the various DVD versions are soft, it is soft on Starz, and it is soft on Blu-ray. It is possible the source elements are soft with no way to recover. The bottom line is that the Blu-ray is the best version of the film available. It's not as bad as everyone says and if you're a fan of the movie I wouldn't hesitate to own it on Blu-ray.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.