AVS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
I am still up in the air about whether or not to buy this on BD. I own the dvd version already. I love the movie and audio is important. But, if it is actually worse PQ than the dvd version I think I will pass. There seems to be some disagreement on this point. So can I have some more opinions from people who have viewed both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cathode /forum/post/0

I did not know that! You are correct... Sony should keep their hands off of "artistic intent". I learned something. Thanks!

You have to put it in context.

A lot of these asian martial arts imports wouldn't be viable economically for theatrical release in the US if they didn't tone it down to PG-13. It simply cuts off too much of what would otherwise be an interested audience.

I like purity in filmmaking, but for that, you get the original.

Frankly I think it's a net positive for the industry that we get these titles in our theatres at all (whether toned down or not), such that a greater set of people are 'exposed' to this style/subset of film - of which I personally am a big fan of.

By the way, I bought the BD myself today at Best Buy; glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander /forum/post/0

Thanks. I'll have to keep my eye out out for a Starz rebroadcast.

Watching this Blur-ray has reminded me how much I like this movie.

I have to caution you as I could be totally delusional. I have Kingdom of Heaven on BD and asked my kids what they thought. They said it looks really good, better than HD broadcasts of varying movies that I thought looked good. I guess although I know KOH looks really good, I was so used to the look and/or quality of movies on my HD FIOS cable taking up the whole screen, BD didn't looked as good. I do like OAR though, so..who knows.

I was referring to #12 who said that in some ways it was worse than the dvd transfer, and some other post that said the BD version would rate only as a mediocre dvd transfer. I know they are in the minority so far in this thread, but I wanted to make sure.

Yes. the Blu-Ray version would not fall under even a mediocre SD-DVD transfer when viewed side by side with any tier 0,1 and 2 SD-DVD on a 100 inch screen... I cannot believe how terrible the transfer was.. It needs Lucasfilms people who re-did Star Wars to work to get rid of the grain and washed out look this film has....Not worth it even if it is free...

I've got House of Flying Daggers on Blu-ray and I think it looks pretty good. I also have the DVD, and the Blu-ray version looks much better, plus the audio on the Blu-ray version is worth the price alone. Its amazing.

I also have Kingdoom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, Crank, Transporter 2 and other highly regarded titles on Blu-ray. These movies are ranked highly by many people as having outstanding picture quality, and I agree. I also agree that House of Flying Daggers wasn't the best video quality, but I still enjoyed it very much and thought it looked fine and certainly better than DVD.

The DVD quality wasn't that great, but I certainly don't think the Blu-ray quality looks worse. I think the reviews of the transfer seem to agree that it's about the best transfer you're going to get considering the source material.

it was bad, but kinda made me feel like I was watching a foreign film in some little asian theater in thailand with a old projector. So in that sense it was neat.

Story wasnt' good though, won't get watched again.

I just saw it last night and yes, it's pretty bad. It's not unwatchable, but the first scene especially is really blurry. That's BLURRY, not soft. Could have been a problem with filming, but the picture never gets sharp. The colors, espcially in the bamboo sequence, are nice, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 /forum/post/0

it was bad, but kinda made me feel like I was watching a foreign film in some little asian theater in thailand with a old projector. So in that sense it was neat.

Story wasnt' good though, won't get watched again.

It's got that whole Chines "Crap just happens" thing going on throughout, but overall I thought it was ok. My one complaint is that the whole thing is building up to a big battle that never actually happens! WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/0

The Sony BD is digitally censored to erase blood. This destroys the key moment in the film. It's truly sad that Sony did this all for a stupid PG-13 rating.

This is news to me.

Can someone describe how the extra blood is in the original?

And the sex scene was one of the most laughable ones I've ever witnessed. They get topless and logroll over each other for 5 minutes while a helicopter cam makes numerous passes. Absolutely ridiculous.

But then, this is a movie where a woman beats drums by shooting streams of silk from her hands, so I guess it fits somehow.

There are a few cuts throughout the movie, but the big one that someone in this thread mentioned is: (spoiler free) a certain character pulls out a dagger and a huge stream of blood pours out, i mean huge like blood is coming from a water hose. In the US cut the blood is edited out.

There are also some other very small cuts due to to violence/blood but these are VERY minor, as in it really is no big deal at all. Then finally, a certain brief scene with dialog near the end of the movie was taken out completely, but by all accounts this one was done by the director himself because it was totally unneccessary (I agree), and it wasn't even shown in US theaters with this scene in it.

Now, with all that said, I do really hate it when movies are edited/cencored to make a certain rating. However, I own the original cut of the movie on DVD and I own the Blu-ray version. Whenever I sit down to re-watch this film, I most definetly watch the Blu-ray version because none of the cuts really harm the film. It sucks to edit a movie, but in this case it doesn't hurt the film at all. Others may disagree of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/0

Dear Sony,

How about a new re-master and unrated version for BD?

BD fans would appreciate it very much.

Another example of the Disney influence I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/0

Dear Sony,

How about a new re-master and unrated version for BD?

BD fans would appreciate it very much.

I second that

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.