AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ready to pull the trigger on a Da-Lite Model B with CSR. I had the HP recommended by Jason but haven't been able to sync up with him regarding some concerns.

Screen dimensions are 45x80, 12" drop, mounted 99" off the floor. Puts the middle of the screen at about 64.5" off the floor.

Projector will be shelf mounted on a wall 11' 8" from the screen giving a throw of just over 10' when considering the length of the projector and clearance for cables. The mounting height has yet to be determined but the higher the better because this is our living room and I want the projector as "out of the way" as possible. Figure 7 to 8' as the lowest.

My current projector is a PT-AE900U with a 2100hr/old bulb but I plan to upgrade with the latest/greatest $2-3k non-DLP in the next couple of months.

My biggest concern about the HP recommendation is brightness, specifically, too much brightness. I don't much like the in-your-face brightness of a typical flat panel. But reading more about the retro-reflective properities suggests that it might be wrong for my application given the projector being mounted several feet above my head.

Would I be better off with a different material given that my projector height won't be ideal or might this still give me a good image?

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
yes. get the screen!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
If you get the HP and have the projector high it will not be overly bright. If you stand up and say WOW that look great.. just lower the projector.

Assuming you have a projector with lens shift...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been using a Model B with HP (92" wide) since 2004. Just replaced my Optoma H-30 with an Epson 8350, and was concerned about the material being overly bright. But with my 7+ foot PJ mounting height, it is not too bright at all. In fact with the poor ambient light control in my living room, I'm glad I've got the extra oomph the screen provides. Also, the HP material seems to stay very flat even without tensioning devices, so I imagine it will be about perfect with the CSR (which I don't have.) I've gotten to love the look of the HP, other screens I look at seem just a bit 'dull' by comparison.

John F

·
Registered
6,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried /forum/post/19512161

I've been using a Model B with HP (92" wide) since 2004. Just replaced my Optoma H-30 with an Epson 8350, and was concerned about the material being overly bright. But with my 7+ foot PJ mounting height, it is not too bright at all. In fact with the poor ambient light control in my living room, I'm glad I've got the extra oomph the screen provides. Also, the HP material seems to stay very flat even without tensioning devices, so I imagine it will be about perfect with the CSR (which I don't have.) I've gotten to love the look of the HP, other screens I look at seem just a bit 'dull' by comparison.

John F

Please NOTE: John is talking about HP 2.8 legacy fabric. The Pull downs and Electrics come by default with 2.4 which is not exactly the same. You can request 2.8 from the vendor if you would prefer. There are a bunch of threads on this topic so just do a search for 2.4 and change your date range to the beginning of time.

This fabric has been out for about a year so no idea how it will hold up wrinkle wise over time.

Maybe someone who bought the 2.4 can comment.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts