AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my TiVo, but TiVo doesn't support HDTV. Now that there are over-the-air HDTV stations in my area, I'm looking for a way to watch them on my Sony KV57XBR10W.

Is there an HTPC setup that I can use that meets these requirements:

* Able to tune to HDTV over-the-air

* Output video suitable for my Sony TV (component)

* Output audio as optical (toslink) or coax digital

* Able to time-shift broadcast TV to hard disk, perhaps 10 hours

* IR remote control to change channels, watch timeshifted content

* practically silent, rack mountable

I'd prefer a tested solution, perhaps even a recipe.

Has anyone built this system yet?

-ms

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Almost any of the HDTV cards can do what you want. None that I know of have optical.

AccessDTV is most like TIVO with Dual PCI bus mastering (Pause while still recording). Support has been lacking in the past, but recently has gotten better. I am not sure on the component output, but I think so.

I have the MyHD card, and I know that this one does all you ask for. All these cards generate a lot of heat which may be a problem in a rack system. The MyHD does not use a fan, just a passive heatsink, but still requires good air circulation.

One thing to keep in mind is that HDTV transport streams can get huge. Recording HDTV is done by saving the entire stream (no mater how many channels are on the stream) at the rate of 9 GB per hour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JKaiser,

Huge is a relative term. My DirecTivo has about 35 hours of recording time on a 40G disk.

At Fry's, I can buy a 120G disk for about $200, which should give me about 13 hours of recording time.

Does your "MyHD" card not support recording while playing? If it doesn't, then I would definitely want to consider a different card.

Would you say that these products are mature enough for family use, or are they still limited to the hobbyist domain?

-Michael

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
do the HDTV tuner cards also recieve regular OTA tv stations?and can they be recorded and time shifted and etc?

Also in my case how would you time shift the stream if you cant see the PC desktop? does the remote have the buttons for this? I dont have a transcoder I have the ATI HDTV adapter so I cant view the video that way, I'll have to hook it straight to the tv :( , at least till I decide to get atranscoder :(

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Does your "MyHD" card not support recording while playing? If it doesn't, then I would definitely want to consider a different card."

None of the HDTV cards support recording of one program while playing back a different program.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.