AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Internet radio claims to provide CD quality authentic? My CDs seem to provide richer, fuller sound. Net Radio sounds harsh and clipped even at 96k.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This really isn't the forum for this discussion, but I don't know of any internet radio that streams uncompressed CD quality audio. They would certainly need a lot of bandwidth.

Audio compressed to 96 kbps is going to sound harsh and clipped anywhere. There are some internet radio stations on iTunes that stream at 128 kbps; I would say it's comparable to FM radio but not CD.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Internet radio isnt anywhere close to cd quality. Even at 320kb/s, mp3 is still distinguishable from the CD partly because it is a lossy format...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCarncross
Internet radio isnt anywhere close to cd quality. Even at 320kb/s, mp3 is still distinguishable from the CD partly because it is a lossy format...
Well, just because something is a lossy format does not automatically make it distinguishable hearing wise.

But I agree with you that 320kb/s mp3s are far from CD quality.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Right, even with a "lossy" format, you can as close to CD quality as you want if you use a very good encoding (NOT mp3, Windows Media Audio can do fairly well) at a high enough bit rate. You could in theory for example start with a higher sample rate than the 44.1 KHz fof CD, and even more than the two channels that CD limits you to.

The bad news is that Internet connectivity is still so uneven, very few if any Internet radio stations use that much bandwidth. The real comparison is to broadcast analog AM and FM, and you usually can get that quality without much trouble at a few tens of Kilobits per second. After all, the most common use of Internet radio is for ex-patriots to listen to their favorite station "back home", so for news, sports, and pop music that has reduced dynamic range mixes for AM/FM, it is all they need.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winowicki
The bad news is that Internet connectivity is still so uneven, very few if any Internet radio stations use that much bandwidth..
Kexp.org allows you to start listening to it's programming starting at any minute within the past two weeks. Thus, if you heard a song on the radio and didn't catch who it was, or just wanted to listen to it again, you can go to their site. And you can listen to about two years of their live material.

I think they probably have a good amount of bandwidth, probably courtesy of Paul Allen if I had to guess.

Great, I'm writing about their bandwidth and I can't connect to them tonight. Not sure if it's them or maybe my firewall, etc. I've never had an issue before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.