AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question.

when I plug in PS3 into my LG 50PG20 plasma the initial start up screen tells me that Through my hdmi connection display is 1080P would I like to keep this setting?

When I bought this TV last March it was advertised a 720P plasma. Why does my PS3 scan it as having 1080p resolution?

When I get the specifications from LG it confuses me even more because it verifies it is 720P but Though HDMI it is 1080P?

Here is the spec page:

PLASMA DISPLAY PANE L

Native Display Resolution 1365 x 768p

Brightness (cd/m2) 1,500

Dynamic Contrast Ratio 1,000,000:1

Native Contrast Ratio 20,000:1

ISM (Image Sticking Minimization) 3 Modes

Non-Reflective Black Matrix Structure •

Fluid Motion 180Hz Effect •

Pure Black Level •

Altitude 2,000 m / 6,561 ft

Life Span (Typical) 100,000 hours

BROADCASTING SYSTEM

Analog •

ATSC/NTSC/Clear QAM •

VIDEO

XD Engine™ •

Aspect Ratio 16:9

Aspect Ratio Correction 6 Modes

Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching)

- HDMI™ 1080p/1080i/720p

- Component 1080p/1080i/720p

- RF 1080i/720p

Enhanced Line Doubler •

Enhanced Noise Reduction (Video Noise Filter) • (3D & MPEG)

Color Temperature Control 4 Modes

Black Stretcher (Black Level Enhancer) •

3:2 Pulldown •

Picture Reset •

AV Mode (Picture & Sound) 3 Modes

Picture Selection Mode 7 Modes

DTV Signal Strength Indicator •

AUDIO

Mono/Stereo/Dual (MTS/SAP) •

Audio Outout Power (Watts - THD 10%) 10W + 10W

Speaker System Details 1 Way 2 System (Invisible Speaker)

Dolby® Digital Decoder •

Surround System Type SRS TruSurround XT™

Bass/Treble/Balance Controls •

Auto Volume Leveler •

Sound Mode 5 Modes

Mute •

SPECI AL FEATURES

1080P Source Input

- HDMI 60p/30p/24p

- Component 60p/30p/24p

- RGB 60p

·
Registered
30,174 Posts
your TV is this:

Native Display Resolution 1365 x 768p

you are confusing INPUT RESOLUTION with the native resolution of the panel. Input signals can be 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i... and all of them will be scaled to display at the native resolution of the panel (1365x768).

If possible, you want to send the panel the highest resolution it accepts, which in this case is 1080p. That is what the PS3 is telling you, that your TV can ACCEPT a 1080p input signal. It is not telling you what the actual physical resolution of the display is. The former is largely independent of the latter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your TV is just telling you the input it's receiving. In your case, the PS3 is set to output 1080p, so the information box will show 1920x1080.

It's being scaled to the panel's native resolution regardless of what it says.

You can play with the PS3 output settings to find the one that looks best for you. The TV scaler may be better/worse than the PS3.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
The display is able to process the 1080p signal just fine, but it can't display it.

So it accepts the 1080p, scales it down to 768p, and displays that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg /forum/post/18149316

The display is able to process the 1080p signal just fine, but it can't display it.

So it accepts the 1080p, scales it down to 768p, and displays that.

I understand that but why does the PS3 say the plasma is 1080P?

Follow me for a moment.

The PS3 when you first plug it into any set it scans the tv and reports back what can resolutions can be displayed.

I have hooked up this same PS3 to my Sony HD projector and it gives me that 1080i or 720P is max resolution.

I know my projector is 720p Native so when the PS3 reports that response it makes sense.

But the PS3 reports back 1080P is the highest resolution when connected to my plasma.

Are you folowing me?

·
Registered
30,174 Posts
yes, but obviously you aren't following US. I explained it in my response above

did you actually read all of the responses that people helpfully gave you??

Quote:
why does the PS3 say the plasma is 1080P?

IT ISN'T SAYING THAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/0

That is what the PS3 is telling you, that your TV can ACCEPT a 1080p input signal. It is not telling you what the actual physical resolution of the display is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattintosh /forum/post/0

Your TV is just telling you the input it's receiving. In your case, the PS3 is set to output 1080p, so the information box will show 1920x1080.

It's being scaled to the panel's native resolution regardless of what it says.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok,

So what your telling me is that the Plasma is telling the PS3 that it can receive the 1080p signal.

But my 720p Projector says it cannot receive a 1080p signal and that when I set the PS3 to only broadcast in only 1080P to my plasma (because you can uncheck sending signal 720P, 1080i and set it for only 1080p) and my plasma is the one downsizing the signal for which my 720p projector is unable to do?

Is that correct.

That would make sense then. Thank you for clearing that up.

·
Registered
30,174 Posts
right -- the resolution of the display itself will not necessarily dictate what it can actually ACCEPT as an input signal.

So, even though your PJ and your plasma are both 720p (actually your plasma is technically 768p, but close enough
) they don't have the same support for INPUT signals.

Any HDMI device broadcasts its information when it links up with another device over HDMI, this is part of the "handshake" and each device reports its capabilities to the other (this is known as the EDID info). When you do the auto detect on the PS3, it is reporting to you what the display has said it can accept.

So, when you plug into the PJ, it can't accept a 1080p input, and the PS3 says the max res is 1080i.

When you plug in the plasma, it reports that it CAN accept a 1080p input, and the PS3 suggests a max res of 1080p.

Either way, that is just reporting the signal that the PS3 is sending to the display. In both cases, the display will always do a final step of scaling to its native resolution when actually displaying an image (output).

The key here is the distinction between INPUT SIGNAL (which can be a variety of things) and the OUTPUT (which is fixed at the native resolution of the display).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

I guess I became intrigued because when I first bought this plasma and read some online reviews other people must have been duped this way.

They were stating in their review Best Buy or LG made a mistake selling this model as a 720P plasma when they too were getting 1080p readings.

At the time I did not have a PS3 hooked up to it and wrote it off as a urban legend.

Now I know how those reviews came about.

Here is one of them I just copied off a site. lol

Customer Reviews

u get more than 1080 i, September 30, 2008

By Bulent Kucukozcan (CA, USA)this tv is the bomb , regular cable chanels look great on it and of course

hd . but the hidden gem is , it displays more than 720 p. thats right 1080p not i , but p .i tested it with the ps3 first , i didnt believe it first , than i tried the xbox360 and i got the same thing . i made sure its the same model . read it on the back of the tv and the box . it says 720p .But it does full 1080p . i originaly got this tv in the store , as advertised it is 720p.but look to my suprise .i wanted to compare price to amazon .i overpayed 300 dollars ,which is ok . i am happy . so folks get it from here , u wont be sorry .u get more than it says . just wanted to share this

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
LOL those people were just as confused as you were and that is the reason for them thinking it was 1080p

I have a Panny 50X1 720p plasma and it will accept any current HD resolution including 1080p/24, the TV just down scales the image to 768p so you actually do gain a small amount of detail by doing this mode

the reason devices like the PS3 report 1080p is because when they communicate the TV tells the PS3 what it can accept and the PS3 is defaulting to the highest resolution because that is often the best way to use a TV but not always.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.