36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a 5.1 surround system with the following:

Speakers:

Martin Logan 40's in the front, Motion 30 center and Motion 15 in the back

Pre-amp:

Emotiva UMC-200

Amps:

Emotiva XPA-100 (2x - one for each motion 40 speaker)

Emotiva XPA-3 for the center and rears

First let me say that i am 100% pleased with the sound that both the speakers and amps produce. What I am not please with is the HDMI connectivity on the UMC-200 pre amp. It is glitchy quite often and although I have no complaints on the sound when it is working, I do wish there were more features, presets, iPhone controllability, etc.

So i started looking at the Yamaha RX-A1030 which has all the bells and whistles a person like myself could ask for. I love the iPhone apps, listening presets, etc. I was thinking about selling my umc-200 and then purchasing the Yamaha receiver and continue to use my emotiva amps via the yamaha pre-outs.. Does anyone here think that this move would be in any way negative? Will i still have the same volume and sound quality I am experiencing now?

Note: once upon a time i connected my emotiva amps to the Onkyo 818 receiver and I felt there was a huge decline in volume and sound quality when compared with my emotiva UMC-200... not sure why that was - maybe there was a setting that I was missing?

anyways.... any advice or comments are welcome as I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too... but don't want to make a mistake

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Buy the 1030 from someone with a good return policy and try it out. The only way you can really hear it for yourself in your room to try out. The Yamaha's have a good rep for switching reliability. Crutchfield will let you try it for 60 days. Hard to beat really.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts