AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just picked up a Radeon VE and plan to run it to my Sony 1272Q. I have a little wiring dilemma because my line doubler only has an RGBS output (combining H and V) and so it is an RGBS cable that now runs from Doubler through the ceiling to the projector. I need to keep the doubler in the system to handle TV, VHS and laser.

It sounds like the only "standard" VGA breakout cables go to RGBHV (not RGBS), and I haven't had any success finding one so far. I would really like to avoid having to run another set of cables through the ceiling, so the easiest thing to do would appear to be to take the VGA to RGBHV breakout cable and use a "T" connector on the H and V so I would then have an RGBS cable. Then I could use some female BNC connectors to connect the (converted) RGBS to RGBS and then up to the projector. My long term plan is to get some sort of switch box so I can switch between doubler and HTPC.

My question is whether this is a bad idea? Is there is some easier way to do it? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why not run your TV, VHS and LD through the HTPC as well ? If you have a pre/pro that allows video switching you could use that as video selector and run the output through a bt8xx framegrapper card and scale the image using dScaler .

This way you eliminate your doubler and probably gain a better picture.

Just a thought ...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Henrik:

I am open to that possibility. Unfortunately, that won't work in my current configuration, which is a little experimental because I am using a PC with a sound card integrated into the motherboard while I work on assembling a more permanent HTPC. I want to use the one I have now to test some picture and sound issues. It is a PIII 933 with 128 megs of Ram so it should work.

I read some posts that said T connectors for H and V were fine and a few that said they were not. I am trying to find out if there is a consensus one way or the other, and whether it creates any risk for the projector (a 1272).

Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With some projectors the T-connector is sufficient, but some need a cleaner signal for the sync.

I have a Barco Data 600. With a T-connector I was not able to sync [email protected] [email protected] was fine. I ended up a little soldering project (pretty trivial) and made a real sync combiner. It has horizontal and vertical sync inputs and a composite sync output. The nice thing about it is that it also automatically adjusts polarity of the syncs and forms it always suitable to my projector; negative composite sync. with this the projector synched [email protected] without any problems.

/Iiro

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got it working with my Barco DATA 600 that has RGBS input only, but all the sync signals should be standard.

I have currently my laptop external VGA set to standard [email protected] I don't need Powerstrip to change the polarities of the sync signals and it should work with any display adapter. Without the circuit I had to change polarities with Powerstrip and still was not able to get the standard VGA-resolution.

The sync signal can not be perfect with the T-connector. Usually projectors are able to get the signal out of poor signal, but there is a limit without properly recombined signal.

And no, I don't have any other control boxes in between my computer and the projector.

Since I use laptop, I don't have a TV-source. Just DVD.

/Iiro

·
Registered
445 Posts
Iiro -

It's not clear whether Beaverdown's question was fully answered. The Barco Data 600 and other similar analog models require either of two different controller boxes to operate. One is a RCVDS 400 which is a separate standalone box that IS between the source and the projector. The other is a tiny box slightly smaller than a pack of cigarettes which mounts with a center screw at the back of the projector not to far from the inputs. It has a few little knobs and a multi-position slide switch that tells the unit what kind of signal is being fed to it, and other switches that relate to sync, etc.

My understanding has always been that one of those devices MUST be present for the projector to display a signal. It seems you've answered that you are not using the RCVDS400, but some of us are wondering if you have the other little box, which is also considered a 'controller.' If you have it, adjustments to this little controller may have allowed the projector to recognize the 800 X 600 @60Hz.

-Chris

EDIT: Nothing connects to the little controller box, but it connects to the back of the projector via a 15-pin D connector.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. Now I understand the question. Since I have no RCVDS 400, I have not really thought this little control-box as an external part of my projector. And you are right. It does not work without it.

I did not try to tweak the thing with T-connectors too much since I also wanted to get rid of the sensitivity of sync-polarity to be able to use it with any regular PC available (I change PC:s much more often than my projector...)

Anyway, I did try fast/slow sync-switch in the control box. It didn't bring me picture in [email protected] Lower resolutions/frequencies worked fine.

/Iiro

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BL
I have just picked up a Radeon VE and plan to run it to my Sony 1272Q. I have a little wiring dilemma because my line doubler only has an RGBS output (combining H and V) and so it is an RGBS cable that now runs from Doubler through the ceiling to the projector. I need to keep the doubler in the system to handle TV, VHS and laser.

It sounds like the only "standard" VGA breakout cables go to RGBHV (not RGBS), and I haven't had any success finding one so far. I would really like to avoid having to run another set of cables through the ceiling, so the easiest thing to do would appear to be to take the VGA to RGBHV breakout cable and use a "T" connector on the H and V so I would then have an RGBS cable. Then I could use some female BNC connectors to connect the (converted) RGBS to RGBS and then up to the projector. My long term plan is to get some sort of switch box so I can switch between doubler and HTPC.

My question is whether this is a bad idea? Is there is some easier way to do it? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
I thought Powerstrip and the Radeon range of graphics cards supported setting composite sync (combines H and V into a single sync signal, output on H line I think). If so, this sounds like your easiest solution.

Ian

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
From what I have read, the Barcos are very sensitive to sync changes. I don't know about the Sony.

·
Registered
318 Posts
BL

Combining the h and v with a t bnc will not work. The voltage combination will not be correct and your projector probably will not recognize the sync.

Extron makes a sync stripper but it takes rgbs and outputs rgbhv, the opposite of what you need. I think the model number is sc210. I don't think it can be run in reverse. If it can I've got one somewhere and you can have it cheap.

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.