AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We know that many games on the xb1 are sub 1080p native so I was wondering if it was a good idea or bad idea to use the upscaler on the Denon receiver i/p scaler for HDMI to 1080P

Would it make any difference or would it hurt it

·
UHD Addict
38,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24448964

We know that many games on the xb1 are sub 1080p native so I was wondering if it was a good idea or bad idea to use the upscaler on the Denon receiver i/p scaler for HDMI to 1080P

Would it make any difference or would it hurt it
How would you do that? The XBOne is not going to output a 900P signal. And even if it did, the Denon wouldn't know what to do with it. So then what happens. The XBOne scales it down from 900P to 720P for output. And then the Denon scales the downscaled 720P image up to 1080P. That doesn't make much sense either.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24449003

How would you do that? The XBOne is not going to output a 900P signal. And even if it did, the Denon wouldn't know what to do with it. So then what happens. The XBOne scales it down from 900P to 720P for output. And then the Denon scales the downscaled 720P image up to 1080P. That doesn't make much sense either.

Not sure I follow

For example...Ryse is native 900p and it outputs upscaled 1080p from the XB1...On my receiver I can use the scaler built into the Denon to upscale anything to 720p or 1080p,

I was just wondering if it would improve anything...Am not sure if it would

·
Registered
347 Posts
Always use the upscaler built into your tv. Your Denon should have a pass-through setting. Set your AVR to pass-through and let your tv upscale.

·
UHD Addict
38,394 Posts
It depends on the receiver capability, the receiver might be better at scaling than the TV.

But still with the XBOne. Say you are playing Ryse. Ryse is rendered in 900P. So no matter what the XBOne resolution is being output, the XBOne needs to either scale it up or down. So if you output 720P from thew XBOne, then it would be downscaled from 900P to 720P and then upscaled to 1080P from the receiver or TV. You want to avoid downscaling and then upscaling.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
So, the real question is...

Is it better to set the X1 to 720, pass it through the AVR, and let the display upscale to 1080p or set the X1 to 1080p?

I believe there was a thread discussing this very thing.

·
Registered
16,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24450530

Is it better to set the X1 to 720, pass it through the AVR, and let the display upscale to 1080p or set the X1 to 1080p?

The answer to that question is that it cannot be answered with a blanket statement as there are too many variables.

Which is better at scaling will depend upon the equipment in use and it's capabilities.

For some the Xone, some the AVR, for others their display.

Test each scenario for your own gear and see where your preference ends up.

Jason

·
UHD Addict
38,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24450530

Only if a game is rendered in 720P should that be a consideration. Otherwise a game rendered at higher than 720p would be downscaled by the XBOne and then upscaled. You do not want to downscale and then upscale. That adds a needless extra step and also lowers the resolution that the upscaler has to work with.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Guys, the point I was making was to have your TV do Al the video processing irrelevant to what signal you are sending. Just set your AVR to pass- through and be done with it. Yes, that is a blanket statement. Your TV will always process a video signal better than an AVR.

·
UHD Addict
38,394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24450763

Guys, the point I was making was to have your TV do Al the video processing irrelevant to what signal you are sending. Just set your AVR to pass- through and be done with it. Yes, that is a blanket statement. Your TV will always process a video signal better than an AVR.

Definitely not true. I've seen plenty of TVs choke on Deinterlacing certain1080i content. And there are certainly several A/V receivers that have better upscaling capabilities than many TVs.

Reactions: DaGamePimp

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24450763

...but will the display upscale better than the X1?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515544/bypassing-the-xbox-one-upscaler-makes-a-dramatic-improvement-in-graphic-quality

I have no intention of determining if the game is natively 1080p or less and then changing my X1's settings accordingly each time I play a game, but it is interesting to think about where the scaling is done and its effect on the image.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Let’s use Ryse as an example the game is rendered with 1600x900 (900p) pixels/detail/resolution/definition

Then the Xbox adds some extra FAKE pixels to make 1920x1080 but it’s still only 900p of definition

So if you tell your xbox to output at 720p 1280x720p the game is rendered with 900p worth of detail then it drops some of that detail to make it 720p SO YOU LOSE DETAIL and then your TV/whatever has to fake 1080p. Yes you are gaining pixels, but those pixels are extrapolated. You’re not actually getting 1080p of detail

I can take a 12megapixel picture of my 1080 screen. That doesn’t mean I have 12megapizel worth of data. It’s still only 1080p of detail. Do you follow?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripeer  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming#post_24461039

Let’s use Ryse as an example the game is rendered with 1600x900 (900p) pixels/detail/resolution/definition

Then the Xbox adds some extra FAKE pixels to make 1920x1080 but it’s still only 900p of definition

So if you tell your xbox to output at 720p 1280x720p the game is rendered with 900p worth of detail then it drops some of that detail to make it 720p SO YOU LOSE DETAIL and then your TV/whatever has to fake 1080p. Yes you are gaining pixels, but those pixels are extrapolated. You’re not actually getting 1080p of detail

I can take a 12megapixel picture of my 1080 screen. That doesn’t mean I have 12megapizel worth of data. It’s still only 1080p of detail. Do you follow?

Am just not sure how it works because my game of Ryse is 900p but outputs at 1080p from xb1 to my tv as it was upscaled.... But I then also turn on the denon receiver hdmi upscaler that takes the source it is getting in this case the 1080p upscaled from xb1 to the denon and then also using their upscaler

So when i hit the video option information on the denon it says 1080P 60P to 1080P 60P

That is how it reads. If i was to set the xb1 to 720p then the denon information will show 720p 60p - 1080p 60p

So my question was that all games on xb1 are outputting 1080p from xb1 to the tv due to the upscaler of the xb1 and my denon would add their upscaler to the 1080p it is receiving from xb1 and improve it?

Not sure if this is what is happening but that is what i thought was happening

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The short answer is the Xbox One outputs at whatever resolution you tell it to. In practise your receiver should be leaving a 1080p signal alone unless it has extra features turned on, an example might be noise/grain reduction (intended for grainy movies.) But those sort of features are usually advertised. Try looking up your receiver online. Just type the model number in Google.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a denon reciever as well and I set my Xbox one input to "game" on the receiver. It doesn't touch the signal x1 sends it. Also if ur tv had a "game" mode u can set that as well. Any unnessessary processing can induce lag

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1521333/is-it-a-good-idea-to-use-the-denon-upscaler-for-xb1-gaming/0_100#post_24450599

Only if a game is rendered in 720P should that be a consideration. Otherwise a game rendered at higher than 720p would be downscaled by the XBOne and then upscaled. You do not want to downscale and then upscale. That adds a needless extra step and also lowers the resolution that the upscaler has to work with.

this^^^

Upscalers are for lower resolution signals. you generally want to keep as little processing in the loop as possible. you dont want to process a signal thats already being processed any more than you have to. Of course, they are your eyes, so why not play with it and see if you like one setup better than the other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts