AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a terrible idea for me to put a receiver in an enclosed cabinet with less than an inch of space above and behind it. There would be a significant amount of space to 1 side. I am looking at getting the Onkyo HT-S590S and the space for components in our entertainment center is rather limited and my wife is very much against putting it beside the tv on top of the tv stand. I know that this is less than ideal, but is it workable?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It would probably overheat. Most receivers have their air vents on top and need room to let the heat get out.

Is there no way to remove a shelf and let the receiver sit on top of another component so it has good clearance above it?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Don't try it with a traditional analog receiver, they create to much heat and need room for proper airflow, Onkyo recommends 8" above the receiver and I'm sure others are the same.

If you're going to do that you'll need to go with a digital receiver. They don't create as much heat and they are smaller in size. Don't know of any offhand included in an HTIB package that I would recommend but Panasonic has the XR-55 and XR-57 receivers that are very well thought of. The 57 adds one hdmi input that the 55 doesn't have.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryPo /forum/post/0

Would it be a terrible idea for me to put a receiver in an enclosed cabinet with less than an inch of space above and behind it.

Go to Radio Shack and pickup a small 5v fan and mount it on the back of the cabinet to exhaust the enclosed area. If you wire the fan to a USB cable which you can plug into a USB port on your receiver, the fan will be powered by the receiver and only run when the receiver is on.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
That brings up a question I have. If you don't have a USB port, how else can you power a small fan like that?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/0

If you don't have a USB port, how else can you power a small fan like that?

Buy a 5v DC (or 12v DC or whatever the fan requires) "wall wart" and plug it in to the switched accessory AC outlet on your receiver.

In fact, running a 12v fan on 5v runs slower/quieter and still does the job!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Hmm, I have a 12v fan from my old computer. Do I have to watch for anything else besides voltage? I see that that wall wart is 300mA.

I take it I just splice the wires and make sure that positive and negative are correct.

edit: I have a 6v ac/dc converter, but it's also 2000mA. Would that work, or is there something else I should look for?

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:

I have a 6v ac/dc converter, but it's also 2000mA.

These small fans only draw about 80-90mA ... your 2A ac/dc converter could drive a couple dozen fans!!

The polarity is academic ... the fan will simply spin the other direction ... suck instead of blow!

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/0

These small fans only draw about 80-90mA ... your 2A ac/dc converter could drive a couple dozen fans!!

Well, adding more fans might be a possibility, seeing as they're like $7 at the local Fry's. I just didn't want the adapter to blow up the fan.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:

I just didn't want the adapter to blow up the fan.

That isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well, here's my quick and dirty exhaust fan.
Thanks, cavu. The receiver doesn't get too hot, but the low clearance was concerning me, so I did something about it.

You can see the adapter plugged into the receiver, so it turns on and off with the unit and doesn't draw any unnecessary power. The adapter has a voltage switch so I can adjust the fan speed. Works best at 6v so it's quiet, but if I need to, I can ramp it up to 12v.

Despite the mess of cables, the fan is actually clear of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, well I have ordered the S790. I went back and measured the entertainment center and the receiver. I will have 4" clearance on top of the receiver, about 3" behind the receiver, and about 15" to the left of the receiver. However, the cabinet will still be enclosed. Do I still need to rig up a fan to keep it cool? If I try it out without the fan and it gets hot, will there be any permanent damage?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It should have a safety shutdown to prevent damage. It'll just turn off. If it does that, it's getting too hot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.