AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just dont get it...i thought blueray movies didnt have snowy artifacts and what-not.."devil wheres prada-M:I:3" both looked like regular dvd's on my ps3
should i be thinking about upgrading my set soon or could it be the movies itself

·
Registered
171 Posts
I believe so...I'm not to "up and up" on the PS3 720p issue though so I will let someone with better knowledge fully explain it. Ithink it has to do with the fact that there is no scaler in the PS3. Another reason why the PS3 is not a good player.

·
Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicbloodline /forum/post/0

i just dont get it...i thought blueray movies didnt have snowy artifacts and what-not.."devil wheres prada-M:I:3" both looked like regular dvd's on my ps3
should i be thinking about upgrading my set soon or could it be the movies itself

It's not the discs. The odds of you getting a defective disc are very low. The odds of 2 defective discs are so low, that it isn't worth discussing. Which resolution are you outputting to the display and what is the connection?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 /forum/post/0

I watched MI:3 and the PQ was excellent...well above DVD quality.

How do you have it hooked up? Component or HDMI?

hdmi
and THE PS3 video is set to 720p..i have a Olevia hvi42 lcd

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa8362 /forum/post/0

It's not the discs. The odds of you getting a defective disc are very low. The odds of 2 defective discs are so low, that it isn't worth discussing. Which resolution are you outputting to the display and what is the connection?

no.. i didnt mean rejects..i meant the movies arent in its highest quality like..
mpeg Vs. VC1

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/0

set your PS3 to output at 1080i as well, should look fantastic then.

WHAT DOES:

CROSS COLOR REDUCTION FILTER do?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

Quote:

WHAT DOES:

From Sony:

Cross Color Reduction Filter

[Cross Color Reduction Filter] has been added as a feature under (Display Settings).

Set the effect to reduce color noise on the screen when the PS3 system is connected to a TV using an AV cable.

Off Set to disable the cross color reduction filter.

On Set to enable the cross color reduction filter.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OOOH SNAP:cross color on and set to 1080i M:I:3 looks hddvd better now..

thanks guys!

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:

WHAT DOES:

I'm not sure why but I'm pretty sure when my PS3 was set to 720p and 480p checked off it would play the blu-ray movies at 480p only.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:

I'm not sure why but I'm pretty sure when my PS3 was set to 720p and 480p checked off it would play the blu-ray movies at 480p only.

YEAH ALOT OF FREAKY THINGS HAPPENS WITH THIS PS3, when i switch from the game/movie back to the menu's cross-bar it goes back in forth with snow blinking in and out until the resolution is found

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:

As someone said in an earlier post, you must also set the PS3 to output 1080i in order to get hi-def.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Moorehead /forum/post/0

As someone said in an earlier post, you must also set the PS3 to output 1080i in order to get hi-def.

why? if my native is 1366x768 why set the ps3 to 1080i..i just dont get it..

oh well it looks better now!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think PS3 does not output Bluray movies in 720p. It outputs them in 1080p, 1080i, and 480p as far as I know. If you happened to choose only 720p and 480p as your resolution in the display setting, ps3 will downconvert your bluray movies to 480p.

·
UHD Addict
38,017 Posts
That is how mine works. If you set the PS3 to 720P BD movies are output at 480P. You need to set the PS3 to output 1080i or 1080P. That makes no sense for such an advanced box.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts

Quote:

why? if my native is 1366x768 why set the ps3 to 1080i..i just dont get it..

oh well it looks better now!

90% (guess) of tv sets are native 1366x768 or lower, but they handle 1920x1080i because that is in the HD spec. Actually feeding it 1920x1080 and letting the TV downscale it is usually better unless your tv set uses a video chipset that is older gen and doesn't do it well.

Remember that the TV knows the intricacies and flaws of the pixel rendering subsystem and can compensate better while the external box doesn't know what it is connecting to beyond the resolution that the tv claims it can handle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a 720p set (Panasonic plasma), too. On my TV, BD presents with much greater visual quality when the BD set is outputting 1080i than 720p.

·
Registered
365 Posts
when I set my PS3 to 720p on my parents LCD it would only do 480p. On my XBR2 it will do the same thing unless I put it at 1080p.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so this is why no one with an xbr960 CRT can enjoy movies on a PS3?

anyway!

what should my audio be set to?

my ps3 is hdmi'd to the lcd, but my receiver"pioneer1015" doesnt have any hdmi's so i use a optical cable from the ps3 to the "pioneer1015"

what should my settings be? or does it NOT matter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts