AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if its better to install win7 on a smaller HDD (80GB) and keep all my media on my 1TB HDD? Instead of creating a partition on the 1TB HDD, and it will still leave room in my htpc case for another 1tb hdd as and when i need it.

Good idea or bad?

Thankyou in advance.

~ Martyn.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Other may disagree, but if you want to keep all your drives in the case I would go the partition route. Performance is totally fine either way and you will be surprised how quickly you can eat through disc space. I currently have 4Tb in my case - 2x1TB and 1x2TB. I would not want to take up a valuable slot for an 80GB drive.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Having two physical drives increases the performance of some tasks (e.g. creating MKV files , video editing).

·
Registered
879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyking /forum/post/18132477

I was wondering if its better to install win7 on a smaller HDD (80GB) and keep all my media on my 1TB HDD? Instead of creating a partition on the 1TB HDD, and it will still leave room in my htpc case for another 1tb hdd as and when i need it.

Good idea or bad?

Thankyou in advance.

~ Martyn.

The 1TB drive would, in almost all cases, be faster then the 80GB drive. The best performance would be to use a 1TB drive and give it an 80GB partition at the beginning for the OS, and then have the rest of the drive partitioned for data.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's so far.

Is it easier to format the partition and re install the OS if it needs it, as opposed to formatting a seperate hdd and re install the OS?

and

Is my media going to be safe if the OS messes up if its a partition on the 1TB HDD and i have to re install the OS?

Thankyou in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
During the Win 7 installation process, you can create/format a partition or reformat an existing partition. Pretty easy.

BTW, as guitarlp wrote, a 80GB HDD may be slower than a 80GB partition at the beginning of a 1TB drive. I recommend a 1TB drive with a 80GB partition for OS and the rest for data, then add another drive for data and so on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great stuff and thankyou for your help, i did think that was the best option, but, i needed to hear it from the professionals aswell, as you said, it leaves more room for more hdds for media.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i always use a separate drive for my OS,

you are correct about older/current 80GB HDD's though. It will be slower.

For my builds I've been using the Dual Proccessor 500 & 620GB Western's for the OS. they are very fast. Then partition the first 60 or 80gb for the OS, and use the rest for download data/scratch disking.

The ultimate would be a 32/64gb SSD for the OS, and 1/2TB drives for media & Data.

Keep the media totaly seperate from the Operating System.

you will evetually formatt the wrong partition.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
In case we have not flogged this to death, 80GB drives are just bad value. If you want 2 drives the sweet spot (lowest price per GB) is somewhere around 750-1000GB. Better to buy 2x1TB or, if money is tight, maybe 1TB and 500GB, but there can be little justification for buying a drive

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
It's always a good idea to keep your OS separated from your data. I've got my HTPC set up with two 1TB drives. The 1st drive is partitioned with the OS and other apps installed in a small partition. The rest of the drive is used for extraneous files and recorded media. The 2nd drive is strictly for recordings.

I use BeyondTV and it gives you the option of spanning the recording folder across more than one drive so I use the 2nd partition of the 1st drive for any spillover. I rarely let the drive get too full so the likelihood of any recordings actually making their way to the auxiliary partition are fairly slim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guy's, i'll follow the advice given and buy another 1TB HDD and partition it 80GB for the OS and the rest for media etc.

Would a 80GB partition will be enough for win 7?

Thankyou for all your help, trust me when i say "i need your help".

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappyking /forum/post/18133128

Thanks guy's, i'll follow the advice given and buy another 1TB HDD and partition it 80GB for the OS and the rest for media etc.

Would a 80GB partition will be enough for win 7?

Thankyou for all your help, trust me when i say "i need your help".

It probably would be big enough, but if not you can use one of many partitioning tools to increase the size later (and decrease one of the other partitions).

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Probably, especially for an HTPC.

As an example, my current HTPC W7 is on a 100GB partition, but it is a 2TB drive, so I though "what the heck"(!), and I'm currently only using 25GB.

If you use for games though you will need to be disciplined in where you install them and store your saves. With an 80GB partition you do not really want to go over 65GB of used space.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I've done it both ways, here's what I found:

1: 2 Drives = Higher power consumption. Only about 10W difference.

2: More noise/heat fans run faster plus you have noise from 2 drives spinning.

3: Going to a partition on the 1TB drive vs having 2 physical drives doesn't hurt speed for most HTPC applications.

4: 50 GB is plenty for a OS partition, I'm not even using 1/2 for my W7 32bit setup.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guy's are very helpful and you have definatley made my mind up for me, 80GB partition it is then, just need to look for another HDD, i might buy another Samsung F1 (1TB).

Thanks again guy's.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I don't just put the OS on the main partition but also all program installs. Data is separate. So in my HTPC I have a 1.5 TB drive, C drive is 200 gig which is plenty enough for Win 7 and all programs. Then D drive is the rest for Media and recorded TV.

Reason is for the HTPC anyway, if I nuke the OS and reinstall, you gotta reinstall all the apps anyway.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 /forum/post/18133829

I don't just put the OS on the main partition but also all program installs. Data is separate. So in my HTPC I have a 1.5 TB drive, C drive is 200 gig which is plenty enough for Win 7 and all programs. Then D drive is the rest for Media and recorded TV.

Reason is for the HTPC anyway, if I nuke the OS and reinstall, you gotta reinstall all the apps anyway.

Yes, the programs are also on my OS partition. Data only goes on the big partition.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18133888

Yes, the programs are also on my OS partition. Data only goes on the big partition.

I'm not sure you will get the performance gains with 2 partitions on one physical drive. The head still must jump around as it reads and writes.

Mike

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18133943

I'm not sure you will get the performance gains with 2 partitions on one physical drive. The head still must jump around as it reads and writes.

Mike

I can say you absolutely will not see a perf gain with 2 partitions, assuming you are using one for temp files. If you are reading and writing to the same physical drive, it will be slower. If you are writing two different files to the same drive, now it will be slower by an order of magnitude.

I use a partition as my C drive on my HTPC, and from time to time, if I'm converting an mkv lets say, I can see apps slow down, especially Opera. It isn't terrible. Playing a movie from D can slow the system down but it's not noticeable most of the time. Many tasks though on C and D will become a bother. I have 3 drives in mine here and use the E and F (physical disks) to do MKVs. Doing it that way, I never notice it running. Even output to D isn't bothersome.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18133194

It probably would be big enough, but if not you can use one of many partitioning tools to increase the size later (and decrease one of the other partitions).

this is what i mean.

good bye data and 2nd partition....it will happen.
mistakes happen.

but all our advise is correct/ideal.

get er done.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.