AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading to a 5.1.2 from ancient system but keeping my Polk PSW108 Sub. Was given a Klipsch Reference Theater Pack which has 4 satellites and a front center (not planning on using the included sub unless somebody thinks I should in a 5.2.2) plus I have a pair of Polk OWM3s.

The receiver is a Sony STR-ZA810ES which has an issue with doing DTS on the heights unless I set it up as FH only. If I try to use TM, FD, or SRD setups then the height speakers will work for Atmos but wont play any sound during DTS. A limitation of this particular receiver.

So my plan is to set it up as 5.1.2 with the FHL and FHR working for both DTS and Atmos, even though this is not ideal for Atmos.

My question is this. My original plan was to use the matching Klipsch speakers for the typical FL, FR, center, SL, and SR speakers, and the OWM3s for the heights. But reading the pinned speaker FAQ it mentions "it is important to keep all the front stage speakers matching for a good sound, but one can have somewhat different surround speakers without nearly as much penalty."

So now I am wondering if that means it would be better to have all four matching Klipsch sats on the front wall and the OWM3s as the surrounds.

I need advice from you folks in the know. Thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You will be fine. The "matching front stage" is for the LCR.

·
Registered
298 Posts
LCR is more than enough.

I would look at getting a better sub next though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reaching out. As for the sub, reading up more I will go with both the old and new subs. They are both ported so even though they aren't the same, I am hoping I can adjust out any major issues with low nodes with some trial and error and it should help with the bass a lot with a pair.

Since it doesn't seem like a big deal no matter which way I go with the sats, which way would you all do it in the same situation (with "buy better matching speakers" not being an option at this time): put all 4 Klipsch sats on the front wall high and at head level with the OWM3s as the surrounds, or put all four Klipsch sats at the typical 5.1 spots and use the OWM3s as the front heights? I realize it probably wont make much difference, but which way would you guys do anyway? Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for reaching out. As for the sub, reading up more I will go with both the old and new subs. They are both ported so even though they aren't the same, I am hoping I can adjust out any major issues with low nodes with some trial and error and it should help with the bass a lot with a pair.

Since it doesn't seem like a big deal no matter which way I go with the sats, which way would you all do it in the same situation (with "buy better matching speakers" not being an option at this time): put all 4 Klipsch sats on the front wall high and at head level with the OWM3s as the surrounds, or put all four Klipsch sats at the typical 5.1 spots and use the OWM3s as the front heights? I realize it probably wont make much difference, but which way would you guys do anyway? Thanks.
I have 4 OWM3's for running either 7.1 or 5.1.2. They all are surrounds and do the trick. My front soundstage is all Polk (larger series) but I don't think it is a big issue. Atmos like surrounds are not that important as to matching because they are used sparingly in movie soundtracks. However, the placement of the speakers are very important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts