AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just recently bought a Denon AVRS900W and was just wondering about this, sometimes it will be turned on and off 3-4 times in a day, is that hard on the equipment at all? The only alternative would be leaving it running and it gets really warm if it just stays running.

Also I have a Dayton 1200 sub that I just leave on all the time, is that hurting anything doing that?

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts
Hi I just recently bought a Denon AVRS900W and was just wondering about this, sometimes it will be turned on and off 3-4 times in a day, is that hard on the equipment at all? The only alternative would be leaving it running and it gets really warm if it just stays running.

Also I have a Dayton 1200 sub that I just leave on all the time, is that hurting anything doing that?
Some leave their equipment on 24/7, others don't. Personal preference. You can reduce the temperature of the AVR by setting ECO mode to ON from the remote.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I heard and experienced the following...
When the receiver is left on with no audio flowing and nothing to push the speakers, the power created by the amplifiers needs to be dissipated through heat. I had an AVR that I would forget to turn of periodically, and when I noticed it was on it was much much hotter than if I were listening to the speakers at a moderate level. So I would say to keep turning it on and off. Just my opinion

If your subwoofer has an auto on function when it gets signals from the AVR I would keep it on that setting vs being on all the time for the same reason as above.:)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Turn it off, not gonna hurt it! Some days mine gets turned on/off 5x a day! Do you let you car idle 24/7??? Lol

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Well, Is it OK to just leave an older Denon (AVR-1905) on all the time? I have this older receiver That I could use in a guest room and not have to teach whoever how to use a remote properly to turn on/off the receiver, Ultra Roku & Satelite receiver...TV speakers are Junk. I could set up a 5.1 system from retired equipment I have laying around!

·
Premium Member
93,222 Posts
Well, Is it OK to just leave an older Denon (AVR-1905) on all the time? I have this older receiver That I could use in a guest room and not have to teach whoever how to use a remote properly to turn on/off the receiver, Ultra Roku & Satelite receiver...TV speakers are Junk. I could set up a 5.1 system from retired equipment I have laying around!
As long as there is sufficient ventilation around the AVR (ie. not overheating), leave it on if you prefer.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here's my 2¢...

I asked a electronics repairman where I sold high end audio equipment this very same question. His reply was that the initial surge of turning equipment on is where most failures occur. Naturally he followed that statement with 'That means quality equipment that is built to last for years.' So I asked about leaving equipment on 24/7, and he indicated that A/V equipment can run into failures prematurely with that practice. His advise? 'If your not going to use that piece of equipment for the next 8 hours, turn it off.'

His next advise? 'Use some sort of true power/surge protection like a UPS Battery backup or Power Conditioner.'

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
My advice, i.e. what I do:

Generally I don't turn it off if I'm likely going to use it again that same day. So I mostly only turn it on and off just once a day.

Cycling it on and off a lot, i.e. multiple times a day, is not good for it, especially the internal boards and so forth, so I would definitely recommend against multiple turn ons and offs during the same day.

As far as heat goes, I find that when idle and not in use it is significantly cooler than when I'm using it. So I don't think there are any heat related long term damage with leaving it on while unused for hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Here's my 2¢...

I asked a electronics repairman where I sold high end audio equipment this very same question. His reply was that the initial surge of turning equipment on is where most failures occur. Naturally he followed that statement with 'That means quality equipment that is built to last for years.' So I asked about leaving equipment on 24/7, and he indicated that A/V equipment can run into failures prematurely with that practice. His advise? 'If your not going to use that piece of equipment for the next 8 hours, turn it off.'

His next advise? 'Use some sort of true power/surge protection like a UPS Battery backup or Power Conditioner.'
That sounds like some solid advice. But I believe that power surge and battery backup is not needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts