AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm itching to upgrade my Epson HC400 to a 1080P machine. I've been leaning towards the Sanyo Z3000 offered by a forum sponsor, or the Viewsonic Pro8100 that is being blown out at several sites. Problem is, with Cedia around the corner, would I be better off waiting? I see several new models popping up, and the entry level 1080P price barrier has been lowered to around 1K. Will the present models be dropped in price to make room for the new ones? Is something much better going to be introduced, raising the performance bar and making some present models obsolete? What do you think. buy now or wait....?

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
I am in the same position.I am waiting.2 reasons'Current models could drop in price soon.Also something really killer could come out in the next few months.Waiting is hard.I still use my ax200 720p and injoy much'But I want better blacks and 1080p plus a few other things.Waiting for me is fun'I like seeing what is going to come out this fall and all the new reveiws.Even if the new models are not what I want.One could save some big bucks on last years models soon.So hurry up new fp's

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
floridapoolboy -- It would be best to wait until after CEDIA in September, IMHO. I can't guess how much less the 2009 models will cost after the 2010 models get announced. A lot of the manufacturers have cut back on production in this economic climate. So the stocks, in the warehouses, are thin (and prices may not drop much). This is my "wild a** guess" and my logic has been wrong before (I'm an engineer, not a marketing type).

However, we may be surprised and some manufacturers may try to stretch their capitalized dollars by continuing to produce the 2009 models (to increase their return on the 2009 model development costs). After all, Epson renamed their old Home Cinema 1080p model (circa 2008) to the Home Cinema 6100 and are continuing to sell it. The only manufacturers that seem to have followed that approach seem to be Epson, Panasonic, and Sanyo (and possibly BenQ and Optoma). Although we may see more of that in the coming months (depending on the perceived demand).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
When you wait for technology you can wait forever. Things are always changing and new leading edge features are always emerging.

Today 1080p is the "edge" but 1080p with 120hz is "better" and the next BIG step will be multi-dimensional (3D) and while front projection evolves ultra flat screen displays are on the horizon of a screen diagonal size that might make front projection for many Home Theater folk completely unnecessary - once tv displays reach a 120in diagonal size I will be able to - Thank God - put the PJ in the attic or dumpster.

I think you just have to decide when the time is right for you to make a change and then jump in and do it and then watch things change and change again until it's upgrade time again.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Quote:
Is it dumb to upgrade now?

Given the number of recent price drops on 1080 projectors I can't think there's ever been a better time to upgrade. In the last couple months, several brands and models have dropped almost 50%. They can't go down a lot more in the near future.

Anyhow, the definition of a good deal is "Are you happy with what you got for what you paid?". If you are, then it was a good deal. If you got a new Aston Martin DB12 but paid more than you wanted to pay and you're not happy, then it really doesn't matter what you paid, it's not a good deal. However, if you paid half a million and you're thrilled....

At the end of the day, are you happy?

Would 1000-1200 bucks be ok for any of the currently available 1080 projectors? Ask that question 6 months or a year ago.

Look at it like this, if the projectors come down from where they are now enough to make you upset about what you paid for yours today, buy another one at the cheaper price! You're still under 2 grand.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points, but let me illustrate my dilema. The Viewsonic Pro8100 is available for a blowout price, almost 75% off MSRP. Its got all sorts of goodies, should be great, right? If I bought it I'm sure it would be a nice upgrade. Problem is, it doesn't do field creation, the contrast is only average, and if the Panasonic AE -3000U dropped in price after Cedia I would no longer be happy! If a better performing, very low priced new PJ was announced I would'nt be happy either. That's the problem, I think the suspense of what's coming would kill me!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Normally i would say do not wait, but you wold be a fool nt to wait for CEDIA 5 weeks. The HD20 was already announced at under $1k for 1080p..wait and see what else comes out or you will regret it.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/16945330

Good points, but let me illustrate my dilema. The Viewsonic Pro8100 is available for a blowout price, almost 75% off MSRP. Its got all sorts of goodies, should be great, right? If I bought it I'm sure it would be a nice upgrade. Problem is, it doesn't do field creation, the contrast is only average, and if the Panasonic AE -3000U dropped in price after Cedia I would no longer be happy! If a better performing, very low priced new PJ was announced I would'nt be happy either. That's the problem, I think the suspense of what's coming would kill me!

I think a lot will depend on what you are looking for in a projector. So far, the sub 1k projectors are DLPs with limited placement flexibility. I think it unlikely an LCD with significant zoom and lens shift will be announced for

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
floridapoolboy -- Read Art's review of the Pro8100 before you jump on it: http://www.projectorreviews.com/viewsonic/pro8100/ . Viewsonic has never been a major player in the PJ business, and doesn't have the reputation that their computer monitors have.

If you are looking for a good PJ right now, then the Epson Home Cinema 6500UB is your best bet, but it's not available at "close-out" prices.

Since CEDIA is only 3 weeks away, I think your best bet is to wait until the first week in September. That's when the info on the new models will surface. The new (under $3K) models won't be hitting the stores until October - November anyway (at the earliest), so you still have time to get the "last years" models, after the CEDIA announcements. That's when price drops will occur, if they drop at all.

cdnewmanpac -- You have made some very good observations (I agree).

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've read every review I could find on the Viewsonic, which is why I'm interested! The only negative was the auto iris, which was fixed with a firmwear update. The Pro8100 is bright, sharp, quiet, has motorized zoom/focus/lens shift, and the PJ has a great warranty. The only shortcomings are in comparison to the newer ultra high contrast units, like the Panny , Epson, and Sanyo. In addition, the Pro8100 lacks motion smoothing technology, but the Epson didn't implement that so well. With the price of the Panny and Epson still too high, the only alternatives for me now are the Viewsonic or the Sanyo Z3000. If the Sanyo had motorized shift/zoom I'd have it already, I'm not sure those convenience features outweigh the better blacks and motion smoothing the Sanyo offers. I,d hate to miss the Viewsonic closeout, but waiting does seem to be the most prudent thing right now. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I'm hoping for the Panny AE3000 or equivalent machine to be available for under $2K after Cedia!

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I would wait until after CEDIA as well. You sound like you're uncertain. You kinda want that Viewsonic, but... More than likely you may regret waiting or wanting to upgrade again if... Both Vivitek and Opotoma just announced two projectors under $1000. You never know, someone may introduce a lower end model that has the options you want and is as good or better than the Viewsonic or Sanyo at the price you want. Then again, you just might not get any news you want but at least you won't be saying what if?....

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it were me, I would wait.

BTW - I am in building my HT now and it will be completed in end of Aug, but I am waiting till November to buy all the gear - 2 reason, I would like either a discount on 2009, or buy something very current and the pocketbook needs some time to recover....hehe

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am in the same boat. I was about to pull the trigger on an Epson 6100, but I am wondering if it would be prudent to wait a few weeks. Yes, it is true that there always is something better in 6 months; however, we are talking 1 month to CEDIA now, and the Epson 6100 is not exactly a late model (many say it is the same as the Epson 1080 rebadged). I think I am talking myself into waiting...

·
Registered
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue /forum/post/16957788

Yeah, never buy a projector in August unless you absolutely need to buy one.

Never really thought about why until now but in the past I have always bought mine in october or november, seemed to me to the best deals to pick from happened during that period.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic /forum/post/16960542

I am in the same boat. I was about to pull the trigger on an Epson 6100, but I am wondering if it would be prudent to wait a few weeks. Yes, it is true that there always is something better in 6 months; however, we are talking 1 month to CEDIA now, and the Epson 6100 is not exactly a late model (many say it is the same as the Epson 1080 rebadged). I think I am talking myself into waiting...

It would also help if epson had any decent rebates on their 1080p models the last several months, tough to compete with some of the other plunging prices.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.