AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new home and I have the chance to insulate the ceiling joists below my 3rd floor media room with R19 (DIY). However, there is an open U-shaped stair case that goes from the 3rd to the 2nd floor with no door. Is it worth insulating the 2nd floor ceiling or is it pointless since so much noise will come down the stairway? I realize most will say just do it because its cheap, but with 2 little kids my time is limited these days. Thanks for any input or opinions.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Well my room is not as open as yours, but about a year ago I went from 3" of attic insulation to about 2'. I did this for heating and cooling reasons, but an unexpected side effect was better sound in my theater. Insulation is cheap and if you blow it in doesn't take much time. How much do you have up there now?

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
I just re-read your post. Are you trying to contain the sound from leaving that floor? If that's the case insulation will probably have a very low effect, but may help a little.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just re-read your post. Are you trying to contain the sound from leaving that floor? If that's the case insulation will probably have a very low effect, but may help a little.
Yeah. I'm going to put R13/19 in the floor below and hopefully it will help, but i wont hold my breath. I think the best option (biggest reduction) will be to put put a door in. Hopefully i can fit a standard door in despite the lower ceiling on the knee wall side....

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,969 Posts
doors can be cut, I've done it. Be sure you start with a solid core door. It would be best to use a flush face door without a design because if you need to take off a lot the design may look odd. I use a local custom millwork shop for my doors and having them put a door in a custom cut jamb is not a big deal. A 1 3/4 birch veneer solid particle core door in a custom cut jamb would run around $225. They could also drill for the lock-set at the right height for the shorter door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts