AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already mount my 123" FireHawk and trying with Plus Piano, the picture is to dark, I also try with Acer 7763PA which has 1000 lumens and 400 contrast ratio, the result also too dark with the picture, is there something wrong ? or FireHawk need higher contrast ratio ? :confused:

· Registered
5,132 Posts
In other words it's not the CR that's too low it's your lumen that's too low (450 lumens of Piano really needs higher gain, white screen). Gray screens needs minimum 1000 lumens or more. It's also personal preference. Some like it bright with some lights on while others like it dimmer with all lights off.

· Premium Member
965 Posts
Ambit-Id,

You are pushing a fairly large screen with a small engine. Please advise if your projector is floor or ceiling mounted.

Regards,,

Don

· Registered
5 Posts
Hmm. I'm a little bit confused here. Shouldn't a 1.35 gain mean that Firehawk is a safe choice for "low" lumen projectors? I thought the Grayhawk is the one which needs a higher lumen projector.

I myself have a Dreamvision DL500 which has 600 lumens output. Is that too low for a Firehawk?

I have currently 1.0 or 1.1 gain matte white screen which is working fine.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For Don

I put my projector on the ceiling, but when I try I put on the floor, is that make any different between floor and ceiling ? Any suggestion for lumens and contrast ratio for 123" FireHawk ?

For Gord

I will give you a call to see your Marantz and FireHawk.

For Others

I try with 1000 lumens projector but low contrast ratio ( 400 ), I wonder if I put AE-100 which is 700 lumens ( same with Marantz ) but with only 500 on contrast ratio. Any comments ? :(

· Registered
1,876 Posts
I think that your 123" screen is too large for your projector. I have an 82" Firehawk for my 700 lumen Marantz and love the combination even with some ambient light in the room.

However I have also seen the Marantz on 100" screens and that combination also works very well with good light control. You are using a relatively dim projector with a very large screen.

Increasing the light output helps but not if you reduce the contrast by half. Try moving your projector closer to the screen so you end up with a diagonal of 80" to 100" and see what effect it has with your Piano. Remember though to mask off the outer edges beyond your image size so the light bounce doesn't reduce the contrast of your image.

I played around with a DIY screen and my Marantz for about a week before deciding on my screen size.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got my AE-100E today, and I put on my 123" FireHawk, from what I see everything is ok... better than Piano before, want to try to add line scaler if I can.

Thanks for your comments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.