AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen 720p movies from the net and they do not have an eye-popping picture, as opposed to 1080i hdtv channels from my satellite which look much more realistic. That's right my eyes almost actually pop out. For anyone who doesn't know, they use 1080i on the network channels and other channels, while 720p on sports and action movie channels. The reason being because 1080i looks better but isn't that great on fast moving objects. 720p doesn't show so much distortion on fast moving content like sports and action movies.

Anyway has anyone observed the same? And does 1080p improve hd-dvd movies at least to 1080i type quality or better? I've heard it's supposed to be better than 1080i. I hope it looks at least as good, 720p has been kinda disappointing.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongwongdong /forum/post/0

I've seen 720p movies from the net and they do not have an eye-popping picture, as opposed to 1080i hdtv channels from my satellite which look much more realistic. That's right my eyes almost actually pop out. For anyone who doesn't know, they use 1080i on the network channels and other channels, while 720p on sports and action movie channels. The reason being because 1080i looks better but isn't that great on fast moving objects. 720p doesn't show so much distortion on fast moving content like sports and action movies.

Anyway has anyone observed the same? And does 1080p improve hd-dvd movies at least to 1080i type quality or better? I've heard it's supposed to be better than 1080i. I hope it looks at least as good, 720p has been kinda disappointing.

Probably just you. I can't see much difference on my set.

D

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:

As you stated you have satellite service and all or most of your HD broadcast is likely 1080i.

However alot of cable operators are charging the user client for HD channels and that is what you are receiving if ONLY sent to you via 720P. They simply tell you in the advertising " Outstanding HD " they dont tell you what resolution.

The cable operators are actually receiving 1080i thru the airwaves from the broadcasters but then they compress the 1080i down to 720p and send it you via cable to save on bandwidth until they get rid of all their old analog signals sometime next year.

So there not sending you the 720p primarily because of panning PQ issues in sports telecasts.

Time Warner & Comcast has been doing this in certain logistics for quite some time now and like I said next year ALL your HD transmission will be 1080i if not sent out by the broadcasters in 720p to the satellite & cable distributors.

So I am pretty sure your internet server is sending you simply 720p which is merely a compressed signal as stated.

Read this below article also which explains your question relating to 1080i versus 1080p and also reflects on 720p resolutions in comparison in pure and simple layman terms:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...07-part-1.html

Regards,

·
Registered
824 Posts
off the subject but im having a issue with my a2 playing back audio on sd dvds. i get no audio .running a2 to hdtv via hdmi. anybody else have this issue cause ive seen noting on this issue on this forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
since my television is 1366x768 the point is moot for me.. there's a slight gain in resolution in that the top 48 pixels of the screen are filled but other then that they are pretty similar for me. If you have a television with a resolution of 1920x1080 you will definitely notice it most likely.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz /forum/post/0

since my television is 1366x768 the point is moot for me.. there's a slight gain in resolution in that the top 48 pixels of the screen are filled but other then that they are pretty similar for me. If you have a television with a resolution of 1920x1080 you will definitely notice it most likely.

Mine is too, but I think 1080i input is noticeably, if not dramatically, better than 720p.

This with both my A-1 and Comcast HDTV box.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Really not that much difference.... the average person would not be able to tell the diff from 1080i to 720p... It also depends on your display and the screen size...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I downloaded a 720p h264 movie. They're made to fit 4.7GB discs, but whether they've even been compressed more I don't know because I think h264 let's you fit a 2 hour movie on a dvd anyway. So they may not even have touched them. Aside from that I've seen some 720p HD yahoo movie trailers that look very good, but the 1080i hdtv I've seen looks better and more realistic.

On another forum here someone said 1080p looks better than 720p but not better than 1080i. I'd be happy if 1080p hd-dvd movies looked as good as 1080i.

By the way that 720p thing with the cable companies is horrible. 720p is supposed to be used only for fast moving content like sports, or sometimes action movies. Cable companies are like thugs selling you your tv programming.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Where to start?

Quote:
I've seen 720p movies from the net and they do not have an eye-popping picture, as opposed to 1080i hdtv channels from my satellite which look much more realistic.

What kind of display where you watching the 1080i content on? If it wasn't a CRT based television, it wasn't 1080i. Only CRT based televisions can actually render an interlaced image properly. If it was a CRT based TV, then what type of display did you watch the 720p content? Only televisions like plasma, lcd, and dlp can display a true 720p image. Pretty much all CRT based television must scan convert 720p into 1080i for displaying. So the most likely cause of difference in picture quality is not the video itself, but some other factor.

Quote:
1080i looks better on my TV too (Bravia 32S2030, 1366x768 native res), but it was the other way around on my old TV (LG 26LX2R).

That doesn't make any sense. I am very familiar with the American equivalents of that television, and if 1080i looks better that 720p, something else is wrong. 768p is the native resolution of your screen. It has to downscale and deinterlace a 1080i signal (which creates noise) in order to render it. You should try that test again with some different sources.

Quote:
A popular one out there is DiVx, which is one of the best, but will still be less quality than true HD.

There is no compression standard, only resolution, to be considered "true HD". A 720p encoded video with divx is just as much a high definition video as one encoded in MPEG 2. In fact HD DVD and Blu Ray use multiple different codecs for their movies, not just some "true HD" one. The real point is that internet HD videos CAN provide quality comparable to that of studio HD releases.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

rage2wrath said:
Where to start?

What kind of display where you watching the 1080i content on? If it wasn't a CRT based television, it wasn't 1080i. Only CRT based televisions can actually render an interlaced image properly. If it was a CRT based TV, then what type of display did you watch the 720p content? Only televisions like plasma, lcd, and dlp can display a true 720p image. Pretty much all CRT based television must scan convert 720p into 1080i for displaying. So the most likely cause of difference in picture quality is not the video itself, but some other factor.

Well that certainly is totally false. If it isn't a CRT based television it isn't 1080i? Incredibly false. While true that CRT computer monitors can create a better HD picture, you wouldn't want one if it isn't a computer monitor. I think the biggest ones they make are 32 inches, and heavy as a m*therf**ker. Forget about CRT. I watched 1080i on my 15" CRT computer monitor and it did look better than in my current 19" lcd computer monitor. I've watched 720p and 1080i on my current 19" lcd monitor and 1080i looks more realistic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

kongwongdong said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2wrath /forum/post/0

Where to start?

What kind of display where you watching the 1080i content on? If it wasn't a CRT based television, it wasn't 1080i. Only CRT based televisions can actually render an interlaced image properly. If it was a CRT based TV, then what type of display did you watch the 720p content? Only televisions like plasma, lcd, and dlp can display a true 720p image. Pretty much all CRT based television must scan convert 720p into 1080i for displaying. So the most likely cause of difference in picture quality is not the video itself, but some other factor..

Well that certainly is totally false. If it isn't a CRT based television it isn't 1080i? Incredibly false. While true that CRT computer monitors can create a better HD picture, you wouldn't want one if it isn't a computer monitor. I think the biggest ones they make are 32 inches, and heavy as a m*therf**ker. Forget about CRT. I watched 1080i on my 15" CRT computer monitor and it did look better than in my current 19" lcd computer monitor. I've watched 720p and 1080i on my current 19" lcd monitor and 1080i looks more realistic.

·
Registered
81 Posts

kongwongdong said:
Quote:

I've watched 720p and 1080i on my current 19" lcd monitor and 1080i looks more realistic.

Congratulations. There's the key. It looks more realistic to you. Nobody can tell you what you are seeing better than you. It depends on equipment sure but most importantly your own eyes.

For me, 720p destroys 1080i in PQ on my 60" Panny. To each his own.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
off the subject but im having a issue with my a2 playing back audio on sd dvds. i get no audio .running a2 to hdtv via hdmi. anybody else have this issue cause ive seen noting on this issue on this forum.

Set the A2 to output PCM via HDMI. It's probably sending bitstream signal which your TV can't decode.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No you can't tell the difference because your eyes are inferior. So good you'll have more choices. You don't even need an hdtv, just buy a regular standard tv if you can't tell the difference about anything. It's a FACT 1080i looks better than 720p. 720p just handles material that has fast motion better, like sports and fast action movies. That's why NBC, CBS, ABC and many others use 1080i but ESPN adpoted 720P.

·
Banned
188 Posts

Quote:
Well that certainly is totally false. If it isn't a CRT based television it isn't 1080i? Incredibly false.

Actually I am right. Do some research. Flat panel displays are progressive not interlaced. The only television capable of displaying a true 1080i signal is a CRT based television. This can included traditional rear projection, front projection or direct view sets.

Quote:
While true that CRT computer monitors can create a better HD picture,

This is true. CRT do actually provide the best picture possible.

Please Kongwongdong, you know very little about what you are talking about. I suggest you do some research. 720p and 1080i don't look that different. I have seen literally thousands of different HDTV running various different resolutions and can tell you, with complete certainty, that if there is a big quality difference something else is the cause.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.