AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using WINDVD 2000 on my HTPC for a few weeks now and am very happy with the results, however for the 1st time tonite i tried it in windowed mode not full screen.

i swear the picture improved,

Am i imagining this ? or do others find this also

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Windowed mode is the only way to go if you have Yxy along for the ride. WinDVD in windows mode is very close in quality to the ATI DVD player, and sloghtly better than PowerDVD.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I agree, it's using a hardware video overlay in either case, so I don't see how it could make a difference.

I found WinDVD to be a pain to manipulate in windowed mode, since it keeps resizing itself, so I just use it in fullscreen mode with a 16:9 resolution and it works fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Simon:

Why? Because you have complete control of the picture size allowing you to do things like minimize the black bars, blank any surrounding desktop, change aspect ratios on the fly and a ton of other neat things. Note that you may not need this if you are outputting to a RP. But with FP, DILA, DLP, Plasma or other fixed pixel devices it's a godsend.

Jeff:

You don't need to manipulate the WinDVD window if you are using Yxy. Thats what Yxy does, and it does it in ways that can boggle the mind.

Vern Dias

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, Doesn't it all depend on what your desktop resolution is? Windows mode just makes it so WINDVD doesn't have to resize everything to compensate for your error....Right?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Vern,

I have to disagree a bit.

I use a 16:9 Windows desktop for my DILA projector. WinDVD maximized to full-screen always makes the picture correct every time.

I used YXY for a long time, so I had a hard time getting used to the simplicity of it. I thought that there had to be more to do.

There doesn't. All of my DVDs come up perfectly every time, with the black bars right where they should be...without using YXY.

YXY is a great program...I just find that with a widescreen Windoes desktop, I don't need it anymore.

Now if WinDVD looks BETTER in Windowed mode than full screen, I might be swayed to change my mind http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Vern,

When I talk about 'manipulating' the WinDVD window, I'm referring to using YXY. I had problems with YXY though, it seemed to be somewhat buggy. Also, the WinDVD window moves/resizes itself when you press play, or when you switch from the DVD menu to movie playback. I find this very annoying.

I'm with Mark on this one. If you've got a true 16:9 desktop resolution, WinDVD works exactly as it should in full-screen mode. An important goal for my system is that the ease-of-use is as close to a traditional, non-HTPC home theater, and WinDVD in full-screen mode makes that easier to achieve. The only thing that doesn't work optimally with this solution is non-anamorphic letterboxed movies, but on the rare occasion when I'm watching one of those I can always use PowerDVD in full-screen mode with the 1.85:1 zoom mode. But that's extremely rare, as pretty much all new releases are anamorphic now and I never buy a non-anamorphic DVD.

Jeff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Spacecat,

It is hard to understand your situation without knowing your system specs... Which CPU, motherboard, and graphics card are you using? If using an Nvidia TNT2 or GeForce series card, have you turned off Hardware Motion Compensation?

What ws "wrong" with the image? Does this occur alone on 16:9, 4:3 films?

Drake

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Its OK for you damn DiLA users (does the envy show http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ) with your massive resolution and light cannons but for us meager SVGA DLPers its hard to live with just 800x450 so we need to be zooming the image in and out...

Then to get the 16:9 in the correct place on the screen YxY is a god send.....

SXGA.... grumble humphing grumble http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JKohn:
Vern,

When I talk about 'manipulating' the WinDVD window, I'm referring to using YXY. I had problems with YXY though, it seemed to be somewhat buggy. Also, the WinDVD window moves/resizes itself when you press play, or when you switch from the DVD menu to movie playback. I find this very annoying.

Jeff
After having used WinDVD - YxY combo for more than half a year I have never seen this kind of behaviour. Are you sure you have unchecked the keep aspect ratio button ?

When I resize the WinDVD window with YxY it stays that size regardless of whether it shows anamorphic, letterboxed movies or DVD menus.

Or maybe you need to set YxY to keep the size by force. I can't quite remember now where it is but I know there is such a setting.

------------------

Henrik Rasmussen
My Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Kjohn: I'm with Henrik...

I have never seen this kind of behavior with Yxy. I'm curious though, if you have a 1.66:1 anamorphic DVD do you settle for the black bars on the side? My setup is a lot more complex, but I can present any DVD exactly the way it was originally presented in a movie theater. Since most 1.66 was originally presented at 1.85, that's the way I want to see it in my theater.

More info on my HT here:
http://members.home.net/tvdias/

Vern Dias

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jeez!,

The resizing is based on the options setup in WINDVD. Look in your options to force resolution...it's in there!

P.s. Man, you actually, made me bring up WINDVD. Take the checkmark out of LOCK ASPECT RATIO to stop the window resizing.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Back to the question: Is the image quality better in windowed mode or is it the same?

Tim

·
Registered
345 Posts
Regarding the original question:

I don't use WinDVD, so I can't comment directly on your situation, but in general I've found that windowed versions of video apps *always* seem to look nicer than fullscreen mode for the same app. I think it has to do with the program getting to choose an ideal size for its playback engine, rather than trying to fit the screen. Also, a smaller window (1/2 size, 1/4 size, etc.) looks better sometimes because it averages out all the little artifacts that are noticeable at full size; of course, you also lose a lot of actual picture detail at the same time. That's too big a tradeoff for me personally, and I'd guess for 99% of the people here.

This is just my opinion/best guess. If anyone knows another reason for this phenomenon, feel free to correct me (especially if it will get me fullscreen video as "clean" looking as the windowed mode!)

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Are you guys actually saying that you watch DVDs in a windowed form, with portions of your desktop and/or taskbar in view??

Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW im amazed that this post has created such a response so quickly.

basically im running my HTPC specs Athlon 900, asus geforce 2 mx graphics,abit KT7 raid mobo, 128 mb ram, sb live player

and a creative dvd player.

i am using a toshiba MT1z projector.

like i said im real happy with the full screen mode but when i tried the windowed mode which i maxed out and then use the settings to hide the tool bar etc, the picture seems cleaner , less artifacts etc not a massive difference

but noticeable (I THINK!!)

i disabled the motion compensation in dvd genie.

·
Registered
345 Posts
CCLAY,

Nope, I'm just saying that when I've tried it, it looked "cleaner" than in fullscreen. I still use fullscreen mode (when my player is working http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif ) because I don't want to lose any visual detail or waste viewing area on my TV.

DCheesi

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
CCLAY, by using YxY to grab / reposition / stretch the window, not only do you have really good positional and AR control (and Pannie stretch ability) you can also apply 'blanking' over user defined areas of the screen...

In other words you can blank the window borders / background / desktop etc... If the 'not so black' of less that perfect widescreen DVD's matting is objectionable you can blank that too...

Personally I used to find with some DVD's I had black outside of the 16x9 frame and if 2.35x1 I often had greyer bars inside the DVD frame this was really annoying YxY solved all of this and top aligns my image..

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When i use the windowed mode i use the window at its max size and use windvd setings to mask the tool bars and hide player etc, therefore the screen is effectively the same size as the fullscreen picture only better.

the black bars that cover the tool bars also seem darker than the bars in the full screen mode

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.