AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DTC-100 that has been installed and working fine for 1 1/2 years. I have now lost the even number transponders on the non HD channels. When I unhook the cables on the multiswitch and reconnect them the even number transponders come back for a few hours and then disappear again. I have done this several times now with the exact same results. What could be my problem and what is the best way to trouble shoot?

Thanks for any help.

[This message has been edited by Tom M (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Most likely your multiswitch. Mine went bad and had fairly similar symptoms. They are sort of low quality. Replace it with a good one.

------------------

Regards,
Stevec>

·
Registered
277 Posts
Some people have described your symptoms and have found it to be the cable and or connections. The fact that they come and go would give credence to my guess.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I second the thought that it may be your cable/connections. I saw such behaviour last year during the rains. Replacing the connectors eliminated the problem. Furthermore, I was able to reproduce the exact same problem when I connected a Mondial MAGIC box to try and eliminate a ground loop. Once again, with the MAGIC the even transponders went away.

Why don't you bypass the multiswitch and connect directly to the Sat A (101) LNB ? You may need to specify that you have a single 18" round dish on your receiver setup as well. If you lose the even transponders again, you know that its the cable/connectors. If not, its probably the multi-switch.

[This message has been edited by Sankar (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I disconnect the two cables from the 101 sat LNB and directly connect them one by one to the to the IRD, one of the cables gets both the odd and even transponders, the other LNB cable gets only the odd number transponders. Does this mean the LNB is bad or what?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I redid the connectors on the LNB and now all transponders are back. We'll see in a couple of hours if it's cured.

Thanks all for the help

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,168 Posts
This is very interesting. I'm having exactly the same problem . I noticed it only this afternoon and it hasn't rained here today. The even numbered transponders on the 101W satellite are gone. I had a similar problem last spring and the tech that came out replaced a connector to solve the problem. It was not the LNB. I'm not sure at this point whether I will try to play with this myself this time, or call service again. It is odd that we'd both suffer this problem at exactly the same time, however. Is there some software glitch in the DTC-100 that makes it susceptible to this cable problem, or is all of this just coincidental?

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,168 Posts
I went outside and jiggled the connectors a bit and got all my channels back. I don't know if I've got bad cables, connectors, or it was all coincidental now.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I lost the even transponders on the 101 sat again. I went out out fiddled with the connectors and all was fine last night. Today the even transponders are gone again.

Is there any way to definitively isolate my problem?

Where do I go to get a replacement multiswitch? Do dual LNB systems sold at Walmart for $89-99 include a multiswitch?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced the multiswitch and it did not solve the problem.

I made up new RG6 quad cables from the LNB to the multiswitch using Radio Shack #278=236 "Weatherproof Coax Connectors', #278-1568 rubber "Coax Boots" crimped connectors with a #278-238 "Hex Crimping Tool". This solved the problem.

I'm guessing the coax had moisture build up in it from non weather proof connectors. I think I gained a little in signal strenghth from prior readings to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.